996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Feeler....Thinking of selling my 2002 996C4S....price opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:32 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think only you will know what you want or need out of the car. The "what will the market bear" approach is probably not a sound approach given the breadth of this market. By that I mean you have the folks who equate a good deal with a low price and you have the other end who will pay above so called published market prices. (Not to mention those folks who think they should deduct dollars for things that might wear out under their ownership, I love that approach - they expect a seller to cover the buyers possible future costs for an IMSB and all the "while you are in there" sales items)

I paid a tad north of $40K for an 04 C4S with 23K miles and 1 year remaining top tier 3rd party warranty in October of 2011, I am confident many would think I paid "too much" but for me the valuation was fair on both sides of the table. (the service manager thinks I hit the lottery at this price and considers the car an exceptional find)

The 2002 C4S with 40k miles purchased for $32k from a RL member as mentioned in this thread is not a comparable example to your car as you describe it. If you add something as simple as the cost of installing proper N spec tires and the fact that you have a set of winter N specs on OEM wheels, records, etc. That $32K car can quickly become a $34K to $35K car (considering the difference in mileage)- from a buyer who desires and values these things.

My deal was somewhat unique in that the seller didn't really need to sell and wasn't even sure if he wanted to sell. I as the buyer wanted to buy a C4S but was already driving a nicely optioned 04 C2 as a daily driver, (and I still do drive the C2, it just doesn't get as much run tme these days because of the C4S) He had a clear title, I had cash in hand. In the end he understood the value of his car, I perceived the value, and after about a month of talking and consideration on both sides, the deal came together in a very fair manner. In my mind, although I spent more dollars, I ended up with a "better deal" on the 04 C4S than I would have on the 02 C4S. The 04 is completley factory stock and has a true PSE, SSK,(and much more) new N specs, new clutch, new RMS, new IMS, brakes near new, battery new, interior as new, and like yours I am often approached and asked "is that a brand new 911?".

And if you read the ad on craiglist from the link in this thread, it sounds like who ever wrote the ad doesn't really know these cars. So other than price, what would one know about that car?
As someone else responded, if you want a quick deal because you are anxious to make a change, I am sure you will have offers you can live with. On the other hand if you feel strongly about the value I am also sure you will find a buyer at that end of the spectrum.

If you can find a way to post pics here that will most likely spur more interest as well.

Hope it works out on both sides of the table.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Where is the best place to advertise in Canada?
You could start with the Canada forum here, try the main PCA regions in Canada if you are a member, and there is always autotrader.ca, but I am less sure of how you would do it from a US address.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:51 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

here are some pictures
Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2012, 11:52 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

the picture above shows the winter tires with OEM wheels
Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

sorry for the poor camera phone quality
Attached Images   
Old 01-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

So its obvious you want to sell this. Put it in the FS section and get it over with....GLWTS
Old 01-08-2012, 09:31 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

here are some better pictures with the digital camera
Attached Images     
Old 01-09-2012, 01:11 PM
agent325
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadStick
Nice price, but a little scary that the phone number in that ad owns a body shop: http://www.businessreel.com/business/body-shop/286635/
My buddy saw this Car in person. Some real estate broker selling it for his friend who is a doctor. They Declined a offer of $29K
Old 01-09-2012, 03:39 PM
bjack69
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 2002 red C4s 8 months ago and paid 31K with 34k miles. The car is in show room condition inside and out. Had all service records and I'm the 3rd owner... I love this car!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 PM
spender
Pro

Don't forget as well that when you buy a used car, you "buy the owner" more than the car. In the past I have paid more for cars (as a general rule) when I liked and trusted the former owner. Thus I don't think it's fair to compete solely on price to try to get the people who want to save $1K here and there - focus on a local sale to someone who can come meet you in person and see all the care and attention you've lavished on your car, and take it from there.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

It's a shame (for me) the car is blue. I'm on the east coast and in the market for a C4S in silver.

I'm also in a similar position as the OP as I'm testing the waters on selling my 83SC; it's brutal out there

It seems there is this thing called "Porsche Math" and it's really confusing.

No matter what you do your car seems to be the same price as all the others. If it's a unique color or a more mainstream, if its had mods and upgrades it doens't seem to be of value to some. Records on the other hand always help.

Good luck with your sale. It's a very nice looking car.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:51 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spender
Don't forget as well that when you buy a used car, you "buy the owner" more than the car. In the past I have paid more for cars (as a general rule) when I liked and trusted the former owner. Thus I don't think it's fair to compete solely on price to try to get the people who want to save $1K here and there - focus on a local sale to someone who can come meet you in person and see all the care and attention you've lavished on your car, and take it from there.
I agree 100%. I do that with all my cars.

I paid "above market" for this car when I bought it, but it was worth every extra penny and brought me 6 years of joy. Paying a little more now for the "right" car, will save you a lot of $$$ in the future.

A cheap car will be a money pit. Never buy a Porsche because it was "cheap".

BTW - Top Gear Rules!!! (the british show that is)
Old 01-10-2012, 12:54 AM
John Henry III - AZ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben Choi, The most notorius person in Rennlist history. Hope your'e out the bud!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:38 AM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
I agree with Ed. I'd start with an asking price of $38K and see what kinds of offers you get. There will be some who say, "it's not worth more than $30K" or "I just bought one for $29,9" or, my personal favorite, "you can get a Turbo for that kind of money." If you negotiate reasonably and are patient you'll find the right buyer. There's nothing that prohibits you from lowering your price if you start feeling (internal) pressure to sell faster.
-Eric
Its such a valid point though. Someone on Rennlist just posted an 03 X50 TT for 35.5k, you're going to be sitting on a C4S a long time at 38k.

Either way, GLWS OP - I hope you get top dollar for your car and keep the C4S market high for all of us owners .
Old 01-10-2012, 11:58 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

+1, with that 996TT at $35.5, even if it's a solid car, if you can still sell it for what you think it's worth, you're in luck. Stay firm on your price, or hold onto it if you can until the right buyer comes along.
IF you are able to drop to less than 35 with a buyer, it's your call there, too.
GL.

Quick Reply: Feeler....Thinking of selling my 2002 996C4S....price opinions