Sponsored by:

Replacing secondary air exhaust pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:54 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing secondary air exhaust pump

Anyone know where I can find a DYI for this? Or better yet, is there a way to remove and complete circuit as to not have the CEL? Is the CEL on for this code effecting my performance?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:57 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For a DIY, is it just the pump or the whole system? What is the code? Because it could be a check valve. The pump is two or three bolts, a wire and a hose. Take out the air box and you'll see it on the top left of the engine bay. Really is that simple. There is a DIY floating around somewhere, can't place my finger on it.

Affect performance no, it shouldn't.

To delete the SAI you can have your DME programmed to RoW (rest of world), however the car will not pass emissions tests if they are required in your state. This programming requires a PST2 or PIWIS.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:10 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

It could also be a vacuum leak; I had the CEL for a few months before discovering the line had come loose from the vacuum reservoir.

Secondary air injection represents a significant amount of cost, weight and complexity for a system that is only engaged for about 30 seconds when you first start the car to heat up the catalytic converter as quickly as possible. Its removal would increase performance due to the reduced weight. Since operation is detected indirectly via O2 sensor and the computer throws a series of CELs when it doesn't see the expected secondary air injection, there's no trivial way to spoof it into thinking the system is intact and operational.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Kazual99
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm worked on my SAI a few times and unless the pump is howling I would look at the hoses, valves, etc before replacing the pump. Does the pump turn on? CEL codes?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:43 AM
Karl996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys

I'm a bit of a newbie to the Porsche world so be nice to me please.

I have a 2002 996 C2 where the last owner had removed the CATs and installed Billy Boat (?) mufflers.

This is causing a CELs 420 and 420 which I believe are due to not having the CATs.

What I don't understand is the SAI codes (491, 492) which I am also getting from time to time.

My secondary air pump is still ther and according to Durametric is working.

Are the SAI CELs a result of not having the CATs i.e. system says that the CATs are not warming up fast enough and is blaming the SAI or is it something else ??

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or comments.

Karl
Old 02-04-2012, 12:49 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

If there are no cats, the computer will see all the wrong numbers coming from the O2 sensors, regardless of how long it takes them to warm up. Here's what it's supposed to look like:

Name:  svWhl.png
Views: 8
Size:  10.4 KB

With as many people do mods that throw CELs (across all models of cars), you'd think there would be a commercial "Clear CEL" product by now that you just leave plugged into the OBDII port that automatically clears the CEL for you. Shouldn't take much for it to be smart enough to clear certain codes, but leave the CEL on if it was a new code.

I aught to build one and sell it
Old 02-04-2012, 01:14 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't have cats or 02 sensors you can buy 02 simulators, which trick the DME and keep your CEL light off. Not saying that is a smart idea though.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:50 AM
Karl996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sjfehr & Logray

Many thanks for the replies. I should have added a bit more information.

I do have all 4 of the O2 sensors - both banks 1 & 2 and they do appear to be working according to my logs (Besides the Durametric I also use a Dashdaq).

Sjfehr - thanks for posting that log. I'll do one and compare.

I'm wondering if just using an O2 spacer would work or is there somethign else which would be a better solution (I'm still looking for the stock ones to buy).

Quick Reply: Replacing secondary air exhaust pump