Sponsored by:

Cylinder Head resurfacing

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:56 AM
rwflier
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Head resurfacing

I am sending my 1-3 cylinder head to Costa Mesa R&D for repair to the #1 cylinder crack and was wondering what the maximum amount of material to take off the head as far as resurfacing goes? Without getting close to valve to piston contact and also to keep compression around 11.3 to11.7:1.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:56 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Heads must be decked perfectly even to maintain combustion balance. if you aren't pulling both heads and machining them equally, don't deck the cylinder head at all.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:10 AM
rwflier
Intermediate

I should clarify my post: it's just one head that needs to be repaired but both heads will be resurfaced (decked); the engine has been pulled and the short block sits on an engine stand. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:12 AM
rwflier
Intermediate

Default Heads decked resurface

I should clarify my post: it's just one head that needs to be repaired but both heads will be resurfaced (decked); the engine has been pulled and the short block sits on an engine stand. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know an answer but can add that possibly there are different head gaskets thicknesses you could use. It's common to have different gasket thicknesses for performance bike engines. I have to figure porsche should have the same sort of trick since changing the compression ratio is easy to do with the gasket. When going to a turbo and such thicker gaskets lower the compression to the desired value. So pretty much if shaving the heads is required then a thicker gasket can save you from too close of a tolerence.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

When Costa Mesa R&D repaired my cylinder head 1-3 they did not resurface the deck (I only sent the one head). Why are you having it resurfaced? Are there flaws or damage?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by rwflier
Outstanding.. Had me really worried there.

There are no multiple thickness gaskets available for the M96 engine due to the MLS construction of the gaskets.

The shop doing the work should be able to advise the material removal.. We have our own parameters as their is no rule book concerning this aspect of the engine.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:37 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Found this in the workshop manual regarding head resurfacing, for what it's worth.

permissable surface uneavenness = 0.002"
permissable unevenness after machining = 0.001"
minimum head depth (wear dimension) = 5.5767"
while machining, peak to valley height = 0.0006"
Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Costa Mesa R&D knows where the limits are. They've done many M96 heads for multiple So Cal performance shops....

Curious, what's their lead time right now?....
Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Costa Mesa R&D knows where the limits are. They've done many M96 heads for multiple So Cal performance shops....

Curious, what's their lead time right now?....
Currently minimal
Old 11-09-2011, 02:08 PM
rwflier
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dharn55
When Costa Mesa R&D repaired my cylinder head 1-3 they did not resurface the deck (I only sent the one head). Why are you having it resurfaced? Are there flaws or damage?
It's a good idea to resurface, according to Steve Baker at Baker Cylinder Heads in Henderson, NV. It provides assurance the head is completely flat for sealing correctly due to heating and cooling of the aluminum.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Pac996
I don't know an answer but can add that possibly there are different head gaskets thicknesses you could use. It's common to have different gasket thicknesses for performance bike engines. I have to figure porsche should have the same sort of trick since changing the compression ratio is easy to do with the gasket. When going to a turbo and such thicker gaskets lower the compression to the desired value. So pretty much if shaving the heads is required then a thicker gasket can save you from too close of a tolerence.
pretty horrible way to mess with compression. You can lower compression with a thick headgasket and actually be more prone to detonation due to the changes in the quench.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rwflier
It's a good idea to resurface, according to Steve Baker at Baker Cylinder Heads in Henderson, NV. It provides assurance the head is completely flat for sealing correctly due to heating and cooling of the aluminum.
With this thinking then it also makes sense to resurface the block surface against which the head fits.

My training in this area had me avoiding removing any metal unless it was clearly called for -- proper checking of the head's surface using a precision surface plate and the appropriate tools was required to thoroughly characterize the surface topology/geometry of the head -- and then removing only the tiniest amount of material needed to bring the head to spec.

Too often though shops will just set the depth of cut to 0.010" or whatever and take a cut.

This affects the compression ratio a bit but it also in the case of these engines affects the IMS to cam shaft chain play. The tension can of course compensate for this but the less metal removed the better off the engine will be.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:25 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
...With this thinking then it also makes sense to resurface the block surface against which the head fits...
IIRC, blocks that are sent to LN engineering are surface ground when they perform a Nickies rebore.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

That is correct,
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head resurfacing