WTB > 1999 996 coupe - 6speed - silver/black - $17,000

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
That's almost like make up sex

It does, but I'll get that in a few minutes after I finish proofing this damed paper.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by healey1968
I hate to throw gas in the flame here, but groovzilla is 70% right. CA cars are better for their lack of rust. (He's wrong not to include the rest of the west coast).

I too started out living on the (north) east coast and have found a huge difference in quality of cars between the two extreems. Currently my DD is a 1994 Toyota with 190k miles, yet it has less rust than any other car I ever owned prior to moving. This is true for my 02 C2 Cab (so Cal car) as well as my past 67 Healey (TriCities WA car). Also, if he lives in Seattle currently why would you drive 2000+ miles just to get a midwest car??

As a generality for cars driven year round in states using salt he is correct, even with modern rust proofing methods. Salt and winter is harsh. He is incorrect in his original assertion with regard to Porsches for the reasons discussed previously.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,016 Likes on 2,969 Posts

looking forward to finding a nice 99-2000 silver/black example although that metropol blue interior is growing on me.

i know there are great cars in other parts of the west coast i just prefer a california car because as i previously posted the drive is a decent distance 800-1100 miles+ - and i have lots of friends to visit along the way.

i missed buying a really nice 99 996 in seattle last month but the seller hit the front bumper 3 days after i looked at it.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

The search is half the fun. The drive home is worth the wait.

Good luck with your search.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:18 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

thanks wellardmac. i really miss my 911 and can't wait to get in a 996.

patience is key.

we were discussing west coast cars and i have some photos of a 66 911 i purchased in arizona...whats ironic is i remember the sand storm i drove thru on the way home...severe winds pounding the car from every direction....heres a photo shot in '87 when i returned home...that cherry tree just to the left of the front passenger fender is huge now!

so i guess west coast cars are susceptible to harsh elements too
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2011, 12:22 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

look at that damn cherry tree now!...had our sewer line replaced last year from the root system growing into it. that was a fun check to write.
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey
Here is one for you Silver/black

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/2702477334.html
Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

wow...i just emailed that guy a list of questions before seeing your post...i appreciate the heads up.

just like last year there will be a host of cars on CL this winter.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by groovzilla
thanks wellardmac. i really miss my 911 and can't wait to get in a 996.

patience is key.

we were discussing west coast cars and i have some photos of a 66 911 i purchased in arizona...whats ironic is i remember the sand storm i drove thru on the way home...severe winds pounding the car from every direction....heres a photo shot in '87 when i returned home...that cherry tree just to the left of the front passenger fender is huge now!

so i guess west coast cars are susceptible to harsh elements too

That's a nice looking car!

As for west coast weather - yes, cars out there take a different kind of abuse. Sandstorms are one, but are really not that common for most. What I found was that there were more paint chips and scrapes from road debris. A California car has to deal with more junk in the road because the cars are less well maintained, are on the road longer, and there's more junk in the road. I'm always amazed at how many pieces of tire tread I see on a CA road compared to other parts of the country.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away, Porsche folks from California wanted east coast cars because they were only driven half the year and therefore had the best mechanicals. The East Coast guys wanted California cars because they weren't rusted out.
This frequently resulted in Porsche bodies with non-matching mechanicals despite the fact that almost any Porsche serialized case mechanical can be rebuilt.

But in the modern age, rust isn't really a big issue for Porsches built after 1976 unless they have been wrecked or had any body work that required parts not painted at the factory. As for mechanicals, it's all about the miles.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Thundertub
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away, Porsche folks from California wanted east coast cars because they were only driven half the year and therefore had the best mechanicals. The East Coast guys wanted California cars because they weren't rusted out.
This frequently resulted in Porsche bodies with non-matching mechanicals despite the fact that almost any Porsche serialized case mechanical can be rebuilt.

But in the modern age, rust isn't really a big issue for Porsches built after 1976 unless they have been wrecked or had any body work that required parts not painted at the factory. As for mechanicals, it's all about the miles.

Yes and no. I can't speak specifically for Porsches, as I've never seen a rusty Porsche, but it's also hard to find a porsche driven all year round in salt country. I can say that I have seen modern cars rust out on the east coast.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:05 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on buying Kalifornia car.

Northeast winters are brutal, cars that hibernate months at a time, annually, are suspect. I certainly would not buy one. NorthEast winters are long. That's too much idle time for my night's sleep.
These Porsches needs to be driven frequently. all year.

You should chase that $19K car. Make a tough choice somehwere else and sell something. Knowing the full history of a car is better than saving a grand or two.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:20 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

if i find the right car i'll up my spending however i know how last winter went and there were some great deals at about $16-17K...have to jump on them quick though because it seems everyone has their feelers out.

if the car i want is $18-19K i'll go for it...just has to be the right one.

Quick Reply: WTB > 1999 996 coupe - 6speed - silver/black - $17,000