996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

WTB > 1999 996 coupe - 6speed - silver/black - $17,000

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:08 PM
khyber
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just look, look, look, and the when you're done, looke some more. I just purchased my first 911 (1999 996, Arctic on Graphite Grey 6spd) with 62k miles for barely more than you're looking to pay. Everything is in great working order. Just make sure to do your due diligence, get your PPI done, etc, you'll be alright. Look hard enough and you'll find the right car. There are people willing to move these cars for those prices, it's just a matter of finding the right one. You'll find something you will like.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:21 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,926 Likes on 2,914 Posts

khyber...exactly...i have shops located in los angeles area and SF, also marin county and santa rosa area to do PPI...have to do the PPI without question!

congrads on your purchase!...the car i would jump on in beverly hills has an owner who is tough to hunt down, busy guy and not into BS however i appreciate that and i'm just playing the waiting game. his car has 54K miles and looks to be just what i want. $19K now but time will tell.

the search continues.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by groovzilla
eric...you are in connecticut correct?...the reason i ask is that out here on the west coast, if you plug yourself in to the porsche market the findings are pretty awesome. cars that have been serviced properly and in excellent condition.

i'm originally from ny and would never buy a car from the east coast or the one in the above post for sale from texas. east coast cars have way too much abuse from salted roads and basic weather conditions and not as desired as cars from west coast. also many texas cars i've heard about or looked into have flood damage or sometimes hail damage.
You're thinking too much like a vintage car owner. If this was a 356 I, too, would focus on finding a good CA car over something in the Rust Belt, but most well cared for modern cars just don't rust and the 996 isn't an exception to that rule.

I'm location agnostic on this issue. When I found my C4S my primary focus was low mileage, content and care. I didn't discount cars from anywhere in the lower 48 in my search. I bought my car in CA because that's where I found the car I wanted; not because the cars on the East Coast were bad or received comparatively worse care. In fact, many East Coast owners advertised their cars as "garaged...never been in the snow..." Unfortunately, there were just too few C4 Cabs on the market with the content I wanted.

In fact, I'd say that the overall level of care that I encountered between the East Coast and CA cars didn't really differ much in any material way. Porsche car owners who love their cars tend to care for their cars regardless of location. There are neglected cars everywhere; even in CA.

So, like I said in my earlier post, yes, you can find $16K 996es but that doesn't mean I'd buy one. I'm sure the numbers in Excellence will support you -- good luck with that based on what I found in my search. It's just my $.02...buyer beware. If you've got the budget to take the downside risk on a $16K 996 then I'd take that extra risk budget and spend it NOW on a better example. As with any used car, I think the best advice is to buy the best example you can afford. These aren't cheap cars to repair regardless of what it cost you to get into the driver's seat.

Best of luck in your search!

-Eric
Old 11-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

khyber...exactly...i have shops located in los angeles area and SF, also marin county and santa rosa area to do PPI...have to do the PPI without question!

congrads on your purchase!...the car i would jump on in beverly hills has an owner who is tough to hunt down, busy guy and not into BS however i appreciate that and i'm just playing the waiting game. his car has 54K miles and looks to be just what i want. $19K now but time will tell.

the search continues.
Just for another reference, even though I'm on the East coast, I would say my black MY 99' 6spd coupe without the IMSB upgrade, with 56k miles, without any stories would sell for $19k +-, even though I'm not currently selling my Porsche. You have time on your side, and patience should help you find you what you're looking for.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:19 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

eric...

i raised my purchase price to $17K maybe even $17.5K

sorry but i'll have to disagree w/you on the east coast/west coast desire/value.
these cars are getting to be 12 years old and years of driving on the east coast roads does tend to oxidize hard to get to areas and in addition psychologically a buyer would prefer a california car.
i went thru this similar debate a few years ago on the 964 board when i brought up the issue after purchasing my 964 in los angeles. most agreed that a california example will no doubt remain a much more desired car based on both examples being well maintained and in the same general condition.

it would be interesting to do a voting poll on this issue...i would have to bet i'd win.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

eric...

i raised my purchase price to $17K maybe even $17.5K

sorry but i'll have to disagree w/you on the east coast/west coast desire/value.
these cars are getting to be 12 years old and years of driving on the east coast roads does tend to oxidize hard to get to areas and in addition psychologically a buyer would prefer a california car.
i went thru this similar debate a few years ago on the 964 board when i brought up the issue after purchasing my 964 in los angeles. most agreed that a california example will no doubt remain a much more desired car based on both examples being well maintained and in the same general condition.

it would be interesting to do a voting poll on this issue...i would have to bet i'd win.
You might have a bet on it, but you would lose. A very large number of 911 owners take their cars off the road over the winter, so they never see bad weather. Anyone who is educated on the topic would know this. Sure, there are some 911s driven year around, but I would put them in the minority.

You can talk to any Porsche dealer in the snow belt and they will tell you then when bad weather hits their business drops off. When the weather is good, then the cars come out and need service.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:25 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Wayne.... +1

lots of NE 996 are rarely driven in the snow.... not even in the rain at that. Its a toy and lots of peeps will never buy winter tires and just stick to summer tires. Its also very easy to spot the ones that are driven daily in the winters/rain.... these cars are not like the pre 75 cars.

check out these series on how the modern cars are made...

Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redridge
Wayne.... +1

lots of NE 996 are rarely driven in the snow.... not even in the rain at that. Its a toy and lots of peeps will never buy winter tires and just stick to summer tires. Its also very easy to spot the ones that are driven daily in the winters/rain.... these cars are not like the pre 75 cars.

check out these series on how the modern cars are made...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNXkq31Nnt0

Exactly! My porsche dealer told me several times about how even on rainy days during the spring and summer they would have lots of cancellations when rain was forecast because people didn't want to drive their babies in the rain - sad but true.

I would say that the east coast crowd probably look after their cars better and drive them a hell of a lot less than a California car for the simple fact that there's a lot fewer nice driving days per year than in CA. The cars I know from MA and PA are very well looked after - in both states the cars would be pulled off the road in late october and early november as the temperatures dropped too low for summer tires and then they would stay off the road until March or April.

Now that I'm in NC I see cars that are driven more days per year and in worse weather, simply because the weather is marginal, but not enough to take the car off of the road. At least in the snow belt it's clear cut - the weather and temperatures force the cars off the road if the owner doesn't want to install snow tires - in warm climates it's easier to keep on pushing the car out the door for more days.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

is that why i see several posts of C2 and C4 owners showing the snow tires they have purchased and lots and lots of car photos in the snow?

pretty ironic that most people who disagree with me live on the east coast.

anyone know how to set up a poll?? i'd enjoy proving my point.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:42 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

dude.... polls don't mean anything on this board. Might as well poll IMS failure while you're at it.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redridge
dude.... polls don't mean anything on this board. Might as well poll IMS failure while you're at it.
+100.

Note I didn't say everyone pulled their cars off the road, just a very large number. I didn't even claim it was the majority, as I don't have that data, but I would not be surprised it it did prove to be the majority.

My comments are grounded in conversations with dealers about business and the behavior of local PCA members. I know that's a skewed dataset, but the reality is that in "Porsche rich environments" the cars disappear over the winter and come back in spring. Anecdotal evidence for sure, but it has held pretty well on my 15 years of living out here.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:47 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 11-14-2011, 09:03 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

redridge"dude": on the other post you yourself stated these cars shouldn't "sit" that its not good for them??

wellardmac you said: "You might have a bet on it, but you would lose. A very large number of 911 owners take their cars off the road over the winter, so they never see bad weather. Anyone who is educated on the topic would know this. Sure, there are some 911s driven year around, but I would put them in the minority."

i say: how good is it for a porsche to sit for such a long period of time? those on the east coast will never agree with my statement regarding west coast cars being more desirable.

*so not only are porsches on the east coast susceptible to salt roads but those that are taken off the road are sitting for 5 months out of the year? i haven't even addressed the corrosion associated with the humidity and salt air in florida/sc/nc/etc...

this just all proves my point, hands down a california car is much more desireable...i don't care what a PCA member feels about that.

again my opinion.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:11 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

OK.... GL with your search. Our (NE) cars are crap.... Hopefully one day I can acquire the holy grail of a 911 such as a California car.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:14 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

hey that wasn't my point...don't become unstable...i just stated that california cars are more desirable and you guys gave me crap about it.

Quick Reply: WTB > 1999 996 coupe - 6speed - silver/black - $17,000