Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replacing AOS and removing oil cooler on a tiptronic, advice please....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:27 AM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing AOS and removing oil cooler on a tiptronic, advice please....

Hi,

I was half way in my AOS replacement, when it dawned on me. Maybe it is another DIY when the car is a tiptronic? I am almost there, the last upper intake bolt is all that is left before I can see the AOS.

Couldnt find a DIY for a tip car. Anyone out there thatcan help me?

Thanks,

Johan
Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's the same part number for manual or auto and procedure is the same.

The AOS gets a redesign in 2002, but that's about it.

The only difference with a tip might be a few extra coolant lines that get in the way, but not related to the AOS itself.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:22 PM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Thanks Logray :-) ,

I have searched around, and it seems that there is differences. At least one tiptronic owner claimed it took 11 hours (about double what it should take) and gave him bloody knuckels....

It looks exactly the same so far, and it has been pretty straight forward. One concern is the access to the bolts in the driver side rear wheel well.

Anyway, I'm sure I will find out tomorrow when I'm continuing.

Thanks,

Johan
Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

There is a lot less clearance with the tip, and more coolant hoses to deal with.

If you are going in from the top it might be easier.

You can also safely lower the engine down an inch to get more clearance by slightly loosening the engine mount bolts from the engine mounts. There is plenty of thread there, but don't loosen them off too much!
Old 10-09-2011, 03:30 PM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Hi,

here is a few pics from my 90 minute work session. Should the engine look this dirty and oily after only 55 k miles?

I mean, there is oil standing on top of the engine, and that can't be normal. Or is it just that?

I hit another challenge today. I don't know if I am a lousy search engine user, but I couldn't find a DIY for removing the oil cooler while the engine is in the car! I found a really good step-by-step for GT3, but that doesn't really help me.

It looks like it is pretty straight-forward, just remove the right side intake and it should be just underneath.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Johan
Old 10-09-2011, 03:54 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

You have some serious leaks on that engine to address.

I can't remember which one of your cars this is, but my guess is the engine is going to need to come out to fix the crack in the head.

At that time you can give it a good scrubbing.

And replace various things on top which could cause such leaks...

Oil filler neck and o ring
AOS tubes and orings
Oil dipstick orings
AOS breather and orings
Power steering fluid orings, etc.
etc. etc. etc.

Yes the oil cooler is very easy to remove. 4 bolts and it lifts right off. Put a bag underneath it to keep it from spilling all over the place. Then clean up the area, put new seals on, new cooler, and replace the 4 bolts.

While you have the old oil cooler off you should pressure test it to see if it is bad.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:06 PM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Ok, thanks. Could I leave the AC compressor? And only remove the right intake too?

Yes, it is crazy how bad the engine leaks. And it is installed 7 years ago, and have now only 55 k miles on it!

I would guess there are several leaks, mostly from parts on top of the engine.

Regards,

Johan
Old 04-29-2016, 04:25 PM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice pictures and write up so far, also I have to agree that there is not much on the subject as far as removal of the AOS in a Tiptronic. I will soon be doing the same job since my 996 has also developed a small leak and is dripping coolant from the lines that emit from the AOS assembly and if also filling areas of the air intake at the throttle body with oil. I will try to contribute more if possible (pictures or a DIY) for Tiptronic R&R when I tackle the task.

Also could help to notice you were missing the 2 blue rubber grommets that hold the air intake filter housing in place P/N: 99970224640 incase you wanted to replace them.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:48 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

per my local indy, tranny/engine drop to access AOS in a TIP.

check out this DIY thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...with-pics.html
Old 04-29-2016, 05:26 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 708 Posts

Hopefully after 5 years, the OP's figured this out. Think? What's with bringing up a 5 year old thread?
Old 04-29-2016, 05:36 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Hopefully after 5 years, the OP's figured this out. Think? What's with bringing up a 5 year old thread?
my WAG is he did a SEARCH...which is a good thing, right?

EDIT: crap, I just saw 3-4 other NECRO'd threads
Old 09-17-2017, 10:35 PM
Zerpersande
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't view those pics. Says to update to allow 3rd party hosting. Would like to see those pics, and also how the DIY turned out. One of the coolant lines to the OS on my 2004 996 was leaking. I saw was bc I disconnected the coolant function so it doesn't leak until I can get in there and replace the AOS.

I'm especially interested in removing the AOS through the top and lowering the engine a couple of inches. Is this really possible with a Tiptronic? More time? Fine. Takes a longer time? Fine. Even to the point that someone said it took almost an hour to remove one bolt a mm at a tine, as long as I can get the bolt back in and tighten it back up.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:43 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Quick Reply: Replacing AOS and removing oil cooler on a tiptronic, advice please....