996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 hot start noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 01:54 AM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so next step, try the car with out the mufflers. That will eliminate those.

Car has new chaintensioners and variocam pads, only pad that I haven't check is the IMS chain one. The IMS chainpad looked ok, thru the chaintensioner hole.
I have allso installed LNE ims bearing last winter.

All the parts that have something to do with the oilpressure, are new. Only the oil scavengepumps are old.

Will check the starter and the mufflers next, hope that the problem is in one of those.

Thank's again
Old 08-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Cam tensioner pads are shot. how many miles. Im sorry if I missed that in the above talks
Old 08-16-2011, 09:40 AM
speed rII
Pro

Shark Attack, do you mean those long guides for ims to ex-cam chain?

Car has about 60k miles (95k km's)
Old 08-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

no, Im talking the pads under the chain that connects the 2 cams under the cam covers.
But at 60K I doubt it. But it sounds EXACTLY like that.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

At 50K my cam tensioner pad were shot.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:23 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

He just had his cam covers off and replaced lifters, I'm guessing he did his variocam ramps/pads too since they are so inexpensive compared to all that other stuff?

He probably didn't replace the long chain ramps for the drive chains.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:02 AM
speed rII
Pro

Yep, I changed the variocam pad's last winter. So I have all ready taken the engine apart twise.

Could the variocam actuator cause this, how tight the compression bolt should be? I mean that, the bolt you use when the actuators are pushed together when changing the vario pad's? Mine was quite loose, and the actuator did compress easily.

I quote myself from first post:

"Like mentioned in the lifter topic,
new oilpump
new lifters
new variocampad's
new startermotor
new timingchain tensioners"

So, part's that are old:
scavenge pumps (those in the cyl.head)
variocam actuators
long chain ramps for drive chains (inspected, had only slight wear)
IMS chain ramp (no idea of the condition)

I just don't think that this could be something related to the bottom end. Meaning the rod- and crankshaftbearings.

This morning the noise was there allso when the engine was cold, so I think that the position where the engine stops, has something to do with it.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:05 AM
speed rII
Pro

Still, As soon I have the time, I will remove the exhaust system and check the starter first.
Then make the desision what to do with the engine, if necesary.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speed rII
Yep, I changed the variocam pad's last winter. So I have all ready taken the engine apart twise.

Could the variocam actuator cause this, how tight the compression bolt should be? I mean that, the bolt you use when the actuators are pushed together when changing the vario pad's? Mine was quite loose, and the actuator did compress easily.

new oilpump
new lifters
new variocampad's
new startermotor

So, part's that are old:
variocam actuators

I just don't think that this could be something related to the bottom end. Meaning the rod- and crankshaftbearings.

This morning the noise was there allso when the engine was cold, so I think that the position where the engine stops, has something to do with it.
I say drive the bitch! It sounds like a lot of us have the noise.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:40 AM
speed rII
Pro

Shark Attack, I think that, thats the right thing to do
Old 08-18-2011, 11:15 AM
LordVicious
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

'99 996 CAB 6-speed here, I have the EXACT same noise on start up. I've been assuming it was a fan motor as the sound has a kind of plasticky clatter to it. I can definitely rule out starter solenoid not retracting. I just can't imagine that it is chain clatter ... but ... maybe?

LV
Old 08-18-2011, 12:15 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Certainly check all of the pulley bearings if it hasn't been mentioned... one way is to start the car and run it for a few seconds without the accessory/serpentine belt. Another way is once the belt is removed hold onto them with your hands and try to move them around, if there is any play that could be it.

If you remove the starter you can have it tested at most parts stores for free (at least in the USA).

If you remove the mufflers it is going to be LOUD, might be hard to hear the noise.

If you had an actuator making that noise but it was still working then I would be surprised.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by speed rII

new oilpump
new lifters
new variocampad's
new startermotor

So, part's that are old:
variocam actuators

Internet connection's flaky today.

Anyhow, I checked my Boxster today after having driven it in for a 30+ mile commute. After a few hours of sitting the engine was quiet upon restart.

That your car's engine is noisy (as in the clip) after just a few minutes of sitting has me thinking there is a problem.

Now going by what info I have (factory manuals for my Boxster's engine but I think the info is applicable in some way to the 911 engine) as best I can tell there is a difference between the 2 actuators (and solenoids).

For cylinder bank 1 (cylinders 1-3) the solenoid (top where the electrical cable enters the device) is black and the actuator is marked 'zyl 1-3'.

For cylinder bank 2 (cylinders 4-6) the solenoid is grey and the actuator is marked 'zyl 4-6'.

It is important (I bet) that these not be mixed up.

Next as best I can tell there is *no* compression or adjustment bolt at the actuator. There is a 'tension screw' (Porsche special tool 9632) that is not to be removed until the actuator is installed.

Let me quote: "4: Complete unit is pre-assembled and ready for installation. Do not remove the tension screw, special tool 9632, until the bearing saddles and the chain tensioner have been fastened on the cylinder head. If the allocation is correct, the groove or lug of the camshaft position sensor housing faces upward [emphasis added on 'facing upward]."

If you PM me with your email address I can make PDF copies of several pages from my Boxster factory manual that covers the solenoid/actuator and will send them to you. Then you can read them and combined with your recent experience at the engine determine if the info has any value or not.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

The solenoids and actuators for each side are very different, in particular the actuators. The actuator of 1-3 actually moves in the opposite direction as the actuator for 4-6. Mix these up and you have big problems. They are clearly marked both with the part numbers and 1-3 and 4-6 markings. Not so clear with the solenoids but there are different Porsche parts numbers and have idfferent part numbers from the manufacturer on them.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

I tried installing the solenoids on the opposite side actuator for kicks and it doesn't fit. The screw holes don't line up.

Why they didn't use one solenoid is beyond me.

Quick Reply: 996 hot start noise