Sponsored by:

996 hot start noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:20 PM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 hot start noise

So, this litle gremlin still wont go away.

I had this issue mentioned allso in the lifter noise topic, but it's now sure that this is something else.

Hot engine after aprox. 2h cooldown. When started sooner the noise is a bit louder.

No noises when engine is cold. Allso if the engine is turn of after the noise occurs and started right up again, no noises.

Like mentioned in the lifter topic,
new oilpump
new lifters
new variocampad's
new startermotor
new timingchain tensioners

tryed with the aux belt off, stil makes the noise.

Starting to think that it's flywheel or transmission...
Old 08-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by speed rII
So, this litle gremlin still wont go away.

youtube

I had this issue mentioned allso in the lifter noise topic, but it's now sure that this is something else.

Hot engine after aprox. 2h cooldown. When started sooner the noise is a bit louder.

No noises when engine is cold. Allso if the engine is turn of after the noise occurs and started right up again, no noises.

Like mentioned in the lifter topic,
new oilpump
new lifters
new variocampad's
new startermotor
new timingchain tensioners

tryed with the aux belt off, stil makes the noise.

Starting to think that it's flywheel or transmission...
Well, I'm not at the car so I can only offer some ideas...

Are you sure that's a problem? A bit of valve clatter and even a bit of chain noise upon start up is going to happen.

Especially if you shut off the engine hot and let it sit a while. The oil is obviously hot and thin (so to speak) and if there's a way out of a lifter or a chain tensioner the oil will find it and leave.

Oh, that doesn't sound like anything related to the flywheel or transmission. I've never encountered a noisy flywheel but I've come across some info on how they fail and the dual mass feature fails and the FW can clunk a bit with the engine at idle and warm.

Also, if the car's a manual, the engagement of the clutch and the car's take off might be accompanied a clunk.

The other source of noise is when the engine/drivetrain is hot and the car is brought to a stop and the tranmission shifted into neutral and the clutch pedal released is the clutch disc car rattle a bit on the splines of the input shaft.

This it more a faint clunking noise that is and then is not in time/sync with the engine rpms.

The input shaft and its gears can rattle a bit too.

What I have found though is depressing the clutch pedal all the way down and then fully releasing the clutch pedal makes this noise go away.

Up engine shut down this hardware can rattle a bit and holding down the clutch pedal when the engine is shut off keeps the engine as quiet as a church mouse when it is spinnig down to a stop.

If the engine's 'quiet' at idle hot and there are no other noises or symptoms or odd behavior..what you are hearing may not be a sign of anything wrong.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:12 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm having trouble hearing anything in the video that sounds abnormal.

Can you try to describe the noise a little more?

I agree getting it on a lift or at least some high quality jack stands to creep around and identify it's location sounds like a good next step.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Have to agree with logray........can't hear anything wrong.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:45 PM
white99c2
Racer

My car makes the same noise. Porsche North Scottsdale told me it's the drivers side muffler. The previous owner had it replaced twice under warranty and the noise is back. It won't hurt anything.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:59 AM
speed rII
Pro

Thank you all for your replys

The camera cut's down the noise. It's much louder in real life.

First 2 or 3 sec when the car is started, there is some metallic noise.

Trust me, that can't be normal. Everyone that has heard this ratle, ask's that is our car goingto blow up

Hope that it is the muffler... I believe that this ain't a big deal, more like a annoying thing.
Just want my car to be perfect, like the way it should be
Old 08-15-2011, 12:02 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Try removing the muffler and shake it. If you hear the rattling then chances are you've found your problem.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:14 PM
speed rII
Pro

Got better audio in this clip. If this is still normal, then ok.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 PM
speed rII
Pro

Logray, I have opened the muflers last winter, nothing was loose. The muflers were cold of course....

Running out of ideas with this one...
Old 08-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Doug996InKC
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Now I hear it, at the 8 second mark. Could it be the starter teeth aren't retracting back in fast enough?
Old 08-15-2011, 03:56 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

I second Doug's guess... sounds like it might be hitting the flywheel teeth.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Thank you all for your replys

The camera cut's down the noise. It's much louder in real life.

First 2 or 3 sec when the car is started, there is some metallic noise.

Trust me, that can't be normal. Everyone that has heard this ratle, ask's that is our car goingto blow up

Hope that it is the muffler... I believe that this ain't a big deal, more like a annoying thing.
Just want my car to be perfect, like the way it should be
Do not let the mean (and possibly based on envy) comments of everyone asking if the car's going to blow up ruin a good car for you.

The noise does sound normal. I wish I could post a video with audio of my 02 Boxster upon startup. There's a bit of valve clatter and some chain noise. Has been there since day one.

But cars are different.

Be sure you eliminate the possibility of exhaust system rattle, heat shield rattle, or even metal stiffener rattle. I found a couple of nuts that hold the metal stiffener secure to the underside of the suspension at the rear of the car missing once.

A stethescope used to locate/pinpoint the source of the noise as coming from inside the engine and from where goes a long way in helping determine if the noise is possibly something worth worrying about or just normal noise.

These engines have a lot of cam chain, all with tensioners and guides, and upon engine start until the chain tensioners are pressurized the chains will drag their slack sides on the guide rails and make some noise. Zero lash lifters can bled down a bit and even injectors can make a bit of noise upon startup.

Heat shields can loosen up as can exhaust systems, especially in cars used in areas with snow/ice, with or without salted roads. The exhaust system is stainless but the hardware/holders are just plain steel and I've seen pics of cars not too many years old that have serious exhaust fastener/hander corrosion problems.

You can clamp vice grips or something similar to the heat shields to see if this affects the noise upon startup. Wrap some chain around the exhaust systems and use a turnbuckle pull the chain tight, not too tight, just tight enough to put some pressure on the system against/or away from the exhaust system hangers/fasteners then see if the noise is still present. Or if the car is in the air just have a helper pull down on the chains as you start the engine.

I assume the oil is of the proper grade and type and is reasonably fresh and the engine filled to the proper level?

If you want to be sure -- and not rely upon what I post on this -- about all I can recommend then is find an expert in these cars in your area and have him give a listen and then listen to what he has to say. The noise sounds normal to me but I'm not an expert/professional and I'm not at the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:53 PM
speed rII
Pro

Thank's again for your reply's.
The starterbendix has come to my mind allso, just cant remember that was this problem on the car before I changed the startermotor. The "new" starter was remanufactured.

I'm goingto take the car to lift and have my friend start the car.

Macster, I just changed the oils, oilpump and lifters. I have drove 60 miles on these. Oil is 5w40 Castrol Syntec. I have tested Mobil 5w50, no affects on the noise.
Diagnosing this problems is slow process, after start up, I must wait aprox 15mins to get the noise back.

And for the ruining this car for me No, nothing can do that.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Thank's again for your reply's.
The starterbendix has come to my mind allso, just cant remember that was this problem on the car before I changed the startermotor. The "new" starter was remanufactured.

I'm goingto take the car to lift and have my friend start the car.

Macster, I just changed the oils, oilpump and lifters. I have drove 60 miles on these. Oil is 5w40 Castrol Syntec. I have tested Mobil 5w50, no affects on the noise.
Diagnosing this problems is slow process, after start up, I must wait aprox 15mins to get the noise back.

And for the ruining this car for me No, nothing can do that.
Well, if the starter was replaced recently then the post by another person (I can't remember the name or I'd give him credit) suspecting the starter gear might be dragging becomes a more likely possibility. The noise doesn't sound like that to me but I could be wrong.

But the last thing touched is always (well, almost always) the first thing suspect.

But I have to point out that I think having to wait some time before the noise reappears sort of eliminates the starter. It suggests a possible bleeding down problem of a chain tensioner, but I could be wrong and I would not want to have you tear into the engine on my WAGs.

So, it becomes even more critical then to try to pinpoint the source of the noise.

Have you removed the oil filter housing and checked the oil in the housing and the filter for any signs of debris? I'm not necessarily thinking IMS bearing but perhaps a chain guide/tensioner guide covering (made of hard composite plastic) might have come at least partially apart.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:36 AM
white99c2
Racer

I'm pretty sure it's going tobturn out to be the drivers died muffler.

Quick Reply: 996 hot start noise