996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS new detection speculation

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 05:16 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Winter driving, salted roads. Will that be a problem?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:32 PM
derb
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jake,
Are the orders being shipped Monday? Just curious as I'm taking a trip to The Dragon next weekend and hope to install before leaving. I'm have almost 8k miles on my Motul oil but I will change it before leaving no matter what.
Thanks again for all the hard work on the development of the IMSG.
Regards,
mike
Old 10-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,288 Likes on 902 Posts

We have lots of kits ready to be shipped.. They just await a single damn connector that the supplier goofed up on.

The MCD sensor connector IS weatherproof. We have sealed these units from the elements with longevity in mind. The test units we have worked with have not had sealed connections and in testing had no issues with corrosion or negative aspects.

I designed the system so the circuit is completed by the sensor, but that circuit is a GROUND circuit, so there are no chances of shorts to ground like could occur if the circuit completed a positive charged circuit.

You could change the plug if you'd like, but I'd rather the system be left as shipped since thats the way that we have developed it. We have used high quality automotive grade wire even though the max load of the system is less than 1 amp; this wire will also resist corrosion better than cheap aluminized wire made for appliance applications.

Concerning the life of the sensor: I have tested the sensors to 515F in hot oil before they began to show signs of failure; even then it took an hour at that temp to compromise the unit. The sensor was tested for 30 hours at an oil temp of 350F and it did not show signs of failure, and the magnets were only slightly weakened even at that elevated temperature. I spend 3 months researching and testing magnets before we settled on the units that the IMSG uses. We had to consider strength, resistance to heat (to above 325F sustained) and the ability to withstand thermal cycling.

At the present the IMSG sensor has a very conservative service life of 45K miles based on the data we have collected. I believe the sensor will live longer than that, but always go conservative. Each IMSG system has a serial number located on an asset tag thats attached to the circuit box. If anyone needs a replacement sensor simply supply us with that unique number and we can provide a sensor without a complete kit being required.

In aviation applications the MCD sensors are generally changed every phase inspection for drivetrain systems, @ 400 hours, which would equate to around 24,000 miles on the ground. The aircraft applications are generally 1/2 what the component is actually good for and turbine aircraft engines and gearboxes run much hotter than anything on your M96.

As for torquing the sensor.. Its not rocket science and can be done without a torque wrench. Tighten the sensor by hand and then tigthen it 1/4 turn further than that with a wrench and the torque will be spot on what we developed the sensor to be torqued to... We don't want anyone to require special tools to install this or change their oil so I put time into this aspect of the unit.

We will be offering special sockets for sale on the store site that are modified especially for MCD torquing, but these are not part of the kit.

We have the system down to a science to the point where no splicing is required and everything clicks right in to place.. . The system is so simple that the entire install DVD is only 12:54 in duration. The install DVD is now completed and includes 18 steps from draining the oil to performing the operational check after install. Installation manual is 16 pages, written very clearly and concisely for the DIY enthusiast.

Kits begin shipping Monday, we will forward each buyer tracking info when their system leaves. It feels good to be done with this one.. Now to finish testing with the modular system that allows add ons for the greabox and front diff (C4 only) into the existing IMSG system.. Literally you'll be able to daisy chain the add ons to the existing system with no major effort.

Then its time for the aircooled Porsche systems and the universal systems for everything with an engine or a gearbox. We are awaiting NASCAR approval now for use in Cup cars in the 2012 season. Joe Gibbs Racing has already ordered units from us for their engine and chassis dynos and they are pushing hard to have these devices approved by NASCAR for competition use in engines, gearboxes and differentials...

The IMS Guardian technology has a big future and has already decreased the unemployment rate in our town by creating new jobs.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:55 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, quite extensive testing has been done. You have provided a great product for a fair price.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Optical TDI,
Thanks for that...

I am a bit of a freak with perfection and don't know when to stop. Hell I have 18 hours in editing the DVD alone! Thank goodness this is fun for James and I..
Old 10-13-2011, 10:49 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those of us whose driving includes urban areas with stop lights... 400 hours is more like 12,000-15,000 miles which when doubled (using your negative guardbanding QA method) gives 24,000-30,000 miles. Maybe there is another sensor with a better MTBF for auto applications. How will the system indicate a failing or failed sensor? Hopefully the additional non-crankcase sensors that you have described will have longer MTBF in their applications.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

If the sensor fails the system will also fail the "press to test" function test.

The sensors will be very cost effective to replace if they ever do need to be replaced. Those cars that might only see 15-20K in traffic also don't see oil temps that are elevated like freeway driven vehicles, so the life would be increased.

Nothing lasts forever; thats what Porsche tried to do with extended oil service intervals. The sensor can be swapped at an oil service in less than ten seconds. By the time that anyone reading this post reaches the end of the effective service life for their sensor we will already have the v2.0 sensor tested up and available for upgrade to all existing systems. This version adds the ability to remove a bayonet from the center of the sensor and inspect it without draining the engine oil. The v2.0 is more intricate, not as simple in construction and is requiring much more testing than the current version.

Never fear, you will WANT to upgrade before your current sensor even gets close to the end of it's service life. Thats the engine evolution I shoot for~

Clarification:
The sensor that we are providing is our product 100% and is application specific to the M96 engine application. From fitment into the sump plate to magnet spacing, strength and elemental composition we have designed, built and tested this sensor for the M96 engine from scratch.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:57 AM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jake,

Many thanks.

Nice work.

Can I go on the pre order for the c4 Diff sensor! LOL
Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the great response and product Jake. I know there is an automatic check when you start it but for any reason if the sensor fails or wires get torn from road debris and such while you're on a long road trip, will there be any alarms going off? Or do you either need to restart your car or press the test button?

Also, any plans for coming out with piggyback unit to sense the cabin filter? lol.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

No alarms will sound if a wire is torn off.. However the sensor and wires/ comnnector is robust.. If you have any road hazard conditions that would damage this; you'd know it.. A few weeks ago in the test car I had a little inclident where a Crow didn't get out of my path quick enough and I ran him over. It was a really big bird and I even felt the floor of the car move with the impact. After the contact I simply performed a test of the circuit using the "press to test" feature and all was well. Thats what I'd recommend anyone to do after impact.

A "press to test" can be carried out at anytime that the ignition switch is in the "ON" position, even if the engine is not running.

We have an optional debris protection plate being manufactured now that will provide the ultimate protection for the IMSG sensor and wiring. This is of course an option and is not mandatory, but people requested it as an accessory so we designed one.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

I plan to order a unit when they are generally available. My car is used primarily for DE's and and I can't think of a better test environment.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

You should order now.. General availability may never occur because we can't keep up with demand.. Primarily because Porsche can't make enough switches fast enough.

We still have 300 more units on backorder to distributors, thats the entire next batch. I think we have 13 left out of the current batch.

The damn switch makes the install seamless, but it is expensive as hell and hardly available.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:12 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jake, how about an option for those who are not as concerned about aesthetics, rather function...

Maybe the option to install a "provide your own" simple spring loaded rocker switch like this:

For example switches inside a race car are built for purpose, not looks.

This would appeal to me, not sure about others...

The Porsche rocker switch is just a switch after all right?
Old 10-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

The switch has a small circuit board in it's composition that allows for the self test and two different color LEDs... A standard switch won't allow this.

HOWEVER!
Since we have developed universal set ups that can be installed into ANY car, truck, plane or train we have had a switch made for these applications that is much simpler. We may offer this for the guys who are not concerned with looks, but thats very, very few people.

The problem with selling a system without a switch is the fact that we lose our control over the quality assurance of the unit; something I am not open to at all. I have no tolerance for returns or things that don't work out of the box.

The 987 and 997 will be getting the universal IMSG arrangement since the dash does not have any switches that are properly configured for the IMSG to work. This same universal set up is what we are providing for Joe Gibbs Racing.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:28 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool! Well chalk one on the board for "interested in availability and functionality" rather than aesthetics.

Quick Reply: IMS new detection speculation