Sponsored by:

Retail cost of CPO warranty ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:22 PM
notbostrom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retail cost of CPO warranty ?

Looking at a couple CPO cars, One is a low mileage 03 Cab with CPO. Just curious what I could realisticly knock off the price if I was a gabeling man and wanted to take it without the CPO warranty. Anyone know what a fair price reduction would be to remove it?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

as much as you can get them to knock off. you just keep going till they will not go anymore. Dont limit yourself to "whats fare" just keep pounding away on them..... and then when they stopped dropping.. Sit on it another day or two.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:38 PM
notbostrom
Instructor

Great, I'll tell them to take $10,000 off and go from there..........
Old 03-23-2011, 11:48 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I think Porsche charges the dealer $2000 for the CPO warranty and dealer here charges $400 for the tech to do the certification. So if you have a real good working relationship with your dealer expect to pay around $2400. They will profit about $300 plus possibly sell a vehicle which may otherwise go unsold. Should be able to $2-3k knocked off depending what the individual dealer charges. Remember a good dealer will fix virtually anything that goes wrong during the CPO coverage and they like it as they get paid full shop rate from Porsche. I've heard of people complaining of very minor and insignificant things and getting them all fixed at no charge and without question. Sounds too good to pass up.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:54 PM
notbostrom
Instructor

Originally Posted by nick49
I think Porsche charges the dealer $2000 for the CPO warranty and dealer here charges $400 for the tech to do the certification. So if you have a real good working relationship with your dealer expect to pay around $2400. They will profit about $300 plus possibly sell a vehicle which may otherwise go unsold. Should be able to $2-3k knocked off depending what the individual dealer charges. Remember a good dealer will fix virtually anything that goes wrong during the CPO coverage and they like it as they get paid full shop rate from Porsche. I've heard of people complaining of very minor and insignificant things and getting them all fixed at no charge and without question. Sounds too good to pass up.
Thanks, That's what I was looking for. Now I know what I'm paying for the car. Helps me feel better knowing both sides of the deal. Although for $2k, short of an engine failure, I might come out better on my own.

It's an 03 cab with 47kmiles. Price seemed a bit lofty at 36k even with the CPO included.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

If they have already CPO'd the car and paid for it they probably will not be able to knock off much. If it was me and I could get a CPO that went to 100,000 miles I would go for the CPO.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

i must have had $20,000+ of Warrenty work done on my car while it was under CPO... my CPO was well worth it
Old 03-24-2011, 01:51 AM
norcalp
Cruisin'

I was looking at two 03 cabs with similar features and 34k miles. One was CPO'ed going for 36,900 and the other no CPO, 33,900. I was thinking of gambling too but wife didn't want to take the chance. I ended up paying $35.5K. Probably could have pushed a little more but didn't want to lose the car. So, I'd said $36K is on the high side.
As for the CPO

2 months later:
Failed speed sensor $0.00
Failed radiator fan $0.00
RMS replaced $0.00
IMS replaced $0.00
Labor: 8+ hours

CPO warranty: priceless
Old 03-24-2011, 08:56 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Once the car is CPO'd the dealer has already paid PCNA for the CPO. (1) Just negotiate the price of the car and if you are in your price range then buy it (2) CPO, while not necessary, is a great thing to have for even the most perfect used car so you have 2 years to make sure everything truly is ok.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
If they have already CPO'd the car and paid for it they probably will not be able to knock off much. If it was me and I could get a CPO that went to 100,000 miles I would go for the CPO.
+1
Old 03-24-2011, 10:11 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Once the car is CPO'd the dealer has already paid PCNA for the CPO. (1) Just negotiate the price of the car and if you are in your price range then buy it (2) CPO, while not necessary, is a great thing to have for even the most perfect used car so you have 2 years to make sure everything truly is ok.
Interesting. When I shopped for my car last year, one dealer was willing to remove the CPO warranty and take $2k off the price. It was advertised as already having been CPO certified, but I didn't buy the car, so I'm not positive. Is it possible for the dealer to get reimbursed if they remove CPO?

As a differing point of view, I bought a non-CPO car w/ an aftermarket warranty and in 10 months, have not used it once.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

My guess is they did a pre CPO check on the car and then "offered" it as a CPO and if purchased they would then send in the paperwork to PCNA. So, technically that car was not a CPO car but they were willing to do it for the price on the window. I would assume many dealers do it this way. Invest a couple hours of labor to make sure it will pass CPO without any significant cost on top of the CPO and then when bought send in the $$$ to PCNA.

But once that paperwork is submitted to PCNA payment is made and that car is CPO'd
Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by balefire
Interesting. When I shopped for my car last year, one dealer was willing to remove the CPO warranty and take $2k off the price. It was advertised as already having been CPO certified, but I didn't buy the car, so I'm not positive. Is it possible for the dealer to get reimbursed if they remove CPO?

As a differing point of view, I bought a non-CPO car w/ an aftermarket warranty and in 10 months, have not used it once.
This is a game some dealers like to play. They say "CPO Approved" on their website and you go in to negotiate the deal and they say, "well the car has been approved(inspected) and can be CPO'd, but that is extra."

I've seen it first hand.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:36 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Some cars are advertised as CPO, but actually not until the date of sale this way a new owner will not loose 2 months of warranty if the car sits on the lot that long before it is sold. A car that is advertised as CPO by the dealer has already had a going over by a wrench and is a likely candidate. During the actual process prior to sale, a form is checked and signed by the tech that does the inspection. Any claims on the CPO warranty done in the first 30 days are not covered by Porsche NA but have to be absorbed by the dealer.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Kharz
Instructor

I just bought a 2005 C4S for $35k; they said they had a whole saler who was supposed to be buying the car for $2,500 less (from england) and wanted it without the CPO. So the CPO price is $2,500.

Being a rookie P-car owner, I was VERY excited about the CPO.

Quick Reply: Retail cost of CPO warranty ?