Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Heard a crack and now clutch pedal has gone "soft"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:51 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Heard a crack and now clutch pedal has gone "soft"?

Was out last night and I heard a crack when I started car and depressed the cluch and now clutch pedal has gone "soft"? Also, I had a prior post where it has been creaking / squeking for last few weeks and now the squeak / creak is pretty much gone but the pedal just "feels" different. Clutch engages, card drives fine, no leaks, no warning lights just feels different than before the clack.
Actually, I am not sure if I like it better this way. Best way to descibe is it feels like there is a longer softer engagement spot than there was before?

Might this be a broken or damaged clutch power spring?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would say....yes.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:26 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My concern is everyone says if thier spring goes pedal pressure gets harder not softer. Question to an indy says may be a pressure plate finger but that does not seem right as there is no slippage and car seems to run fine.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Was the crack from the pedal area or from the clutch area? When my clutch booster spring snapped, I heard a very loud pop at the pedal area and the clutch didn't feel much different (it was always hard). After the spring was replaced, the clutch is MUCH lighter and smoother like I got a new clutch. I think my old spring had lost it's power way before it broke so the clutch had always been hard.

BTW, it should be easy to check if the booster spring itself is broken in any case.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:08 AM
jeffcatl
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To OP....What was the final outcome? I had a similar experience on my car today. Clutch pedal went "soft" and it suddenly became more difficult to sense the exact engagement point. I don't recall a "crack" sound however.

Still investigating threads but haven't found anything that exactly describes the symptom quite like this one....
Old 08-15-2011, 11:30 AM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

When this happened to me, I had the clutch replaced.

Broken fingers found on the pressure plate.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:58 PM
Gbug
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bumping an old thread, any others encountered something similar? Was pulling into my driveway this evening and heard a crack, could have been a small branch in my alley, but I also noticed clutch felt noticeably lighter. On a possibly related note, 10 minutes before, I did a hard pull from second merging onto the highway and noticed an odd, brief loss of power when I shifted into third. Perhaps the clutch slipping? Seems unlikely since the car only has 39k miles on it and is a creampuff. The PO had an LN IMSB installed at 31k said the clutch las fine so did not replace it at that time.

Thoughts? Pressure plate? Clutch slave going bad? TIA

Edit--just ran out to the garage and tested, clutch feels mostly normal at this point. Going to do a third gear pull on the highway tomorrow to see if I get any slippage.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:31 AM
mickdavis
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that happen a few years ago and it was several fingers on the pressure plate that broke. Almost immediately the clutch started slipping, I had a hard time getting it to my indy which was only a few miles away from where I was.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:10 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Almost always pressure plate finger springs. metal is quite brittle, but that's no excuse. Of course, as I found out last week from a potential buyer, not everyone is adept at clutch operation. It made me cringe to watch the guy rev it to 3500 and slide the clutch out in first. grrrrrrrrr

Quick Reply: Heard a crack and now clutch pedal has gone "soft"?