Sponsored by:

I bought it -- I drove it -- I crashed it

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:06 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
It really is remarkable what people will do when faced with something that is completely their fault...like lying. Good job handling this -
I can only assume that you meant to say something other that what it seems. If not, perhaps in the future you should not post comments under your company's name. I know this comment negatively effected my impression of you as a Rennlist sponsor.

Clarification - Craig meant the other guy!

Last edited by rpm's S2; 01-28-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:10 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by larry47us
... And, by the way, I have seen and called on a number of 2001 996TT's selling in the $40k - $44K range, but I have been a day late and a dollar short. They are being scooped up very fast. I will need to look every day, and be prepared to pounce without much ado, if I want one.

larry
When I was looking for my coupe last year I found very few cars in the midwest, compared to the large selection of cars in the Northeast, Florida, and Southern California. One suggestion: Try SearchTempest.com to aggregate Craiglist posts from across the country. You can start locally and then expand the distance. This is how I found my car in Boston.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:50 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all, excuse me, but I didn't lie. I told the insurance company exactly what happened. In addition to which, they had the report of the police department, the semi driver, and a witness who hung around to talk to the police. .......

larry
Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Nice job here. Do you often go around calling people you don't know liars? I'm sure your customers really love being insulted. Nice guy. Unless you were a witness I'd suggest you STFU.
Craig wasn't calling the OP a liar, he actually said the OP handled it well, and was refering to a couple of other instances where people have come on and lied through their teeth, on this and other boards.

You both miss read Craig's post.......
Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No not YOU lying. THE OTHER GUY.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:10 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craig: Thanks for the clarification. I withdraw my complaint.

larry
Old 01-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just need to be patient, and not be ashamed to offer a ridiculous amount for a car.

larry
You're in a perfect negotiating position. You have a fixed amount, in hand, from your insurer. You don't need to feel that you are insulting a seller by offering less than asking, particularly in this case.

You: "Even though your 996tt is very fairly priced, all i can offer you is $41k because that's the value of the cheque in my hand"

Him: "I did a lot of research in pricing my 996tt and I know it is well priced, but no one has offered me my asking price yet (or it would be sold already), and since you have cash in your hand, right now, today, I guess I better accept your offer or I might never sell this thing..."

I always try to introduce a kind of 'third party' when negotiating. It gives a great poker face. In this case, you get to act like a neutral broker between the vendor and your insurer.

best of luck
Old 01-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Okay, that's good. Glad to see that we misinterpreted the post.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:29 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another idea: Buy a 2004 996 Coupe, and pocket the difference!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:50 PM
speed rII
Pro

Buy the targa from Optical TDI? And then pocket the rest
Old 01-28-2011, 03:53 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by AndyK
Another idea: Buy a 2004 996 Coupe, and pocket the difference!
Andy: Don't think that I didn't beat that approach to death. My mechanic told me this -
Originally Posted by Perfect Power
We all know that the 996 has potential IMS/RMS issues. You don't know when or if it is going to create a problem for you. Also, the 996 Turbo motor is truly bullet-proof. It is extremely reliable, and it also has a different transmission that I like better. All in all, if you can afford the difference, you are getting the top of the line Porsche, with a strong motor with no known issues, a strong transmission, and nearly unlimited power. It's a fun, safe car to drive, and if you're going to drive it over winter, put a set of snows on it, and with AWD and PSM it drives like a rally car. Over the long haul, you will end up happier with the Turbo than another 996.
The secret is to find a solid turbo at a reasonable price. I have found a couple under $40K that have prior accident damage - it might be well repaired, but I'm not excited about it. Plus one car is grey/grey - very boring, and the other is white/grey&bright blue - the UGLIEST interior that I have EVER seen. And I found a 2003 in Speed Yellow (my favorite) with only 28K miles, but it's pricey. Right at $50K. So I would need to dig into my pocket for that one.

And, on top of that, there is the higher maintenance issue, and higher insurance costs (which I haven't explored yet.) So, I'm not sure which way to go. I'm still looking .

larry
Old 01-28-2011, 03:59 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I think you would need to be patient when you are buying a $40k turbo, nice ones at that price range do come up from time to time... the nicer ones are actually closer to the $50K mark... and there lots of those.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:32 PM
larry47us
Pro

Ferdinand.

Well, there always is that conflict between wanting to take your time to find THE unique car that meets your needs at the right price, and the need for immediate gratification.

What is also driving me is that the insurance company is only going to pay the sales tax on the new car for 30 days. That's state law. Of course, they COULD do it later, if they wish, but why would they? So, I'm kind of under the gun to buy a car within the next 30 days.

They say that I should have my settlement check by the end of next week.

larry
Old 01-28-2011, 04:37 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Ferdinand.

Well, there always is that conflict between wanting to take your time to find THE unique car that meets your needs at the right price, and the need for immediate gratification.

What is also driving me is that the insurance company is only going to pay the sales tax on the new car for 30 days. That's state law. Of course, they COULD do it later, if they wish, but why would they? So, I'm kind of under the gun to buy a car within the next 30 days.

They say that I should have my settlement check by the end of next week.

larry
If that is the case.... then, you should start a new thread "help me find my $40k turbo in 30 days or less".....

If you need someone to scope a TT in the northern NJ.... just let me know.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
If that is the case.... then, you should start a new thread "help me find my $40k turbo in 30 days or less".....

If you need someone to scope a TT in the northern NJ.... just let me know.
Indeed. Post the requirements and I'm sure everybody will be more than happy to help you spend your money

BTW - Suncoast has just listed one - Blue/Tan w/44K miles. No pictures yet.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:48 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom M
BTW - Suncoast has just listed one - Blue/Tan w/44K miles. No pictures yet.
I have talked to them today. They are supposed to be sending me pictures, but haven't yet. It might be a nice option. They certainly have indicated that they are willing to negotiate. The car was in an accident early in its career, but 2 years later it was sold by a Porsche dealer as a CPO car. Those are supposed to be accident free, so it must have been a minor deal.

I'm waiting for pictures.

larry

Quick Reply: I bought it -- I drove it -- I crashed it