Sponsored by:

I bought it -- I drove it -- I crashed it

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 06:14 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by larry47us
I have talked to them today. They are supposed to be sending me pictures, but haven't yet. It might be a nice option. They certainly have indicated that they are willing to negotiate. The car was in an accident early in its career, but 2 years later it was sold by a Porsche dealer as a CPO car. Those are supposed to be accident free, so it must have been a minor deal.

I'm waiting for pictures.

larry
Man you must be burning up the web! Do you have any specific wants or exclusions beyond 02-04 TT?
Old 01-29-2011, 03:46 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Talk about a fun time! You are almost forced into buying one of the fastest cars on the planet to save thousands in taxes! God bless the USA! Good luck- your mechanic gave you good advice. Makes me want a turbo!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:07 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE VERDICT IS IN

I got an email message from my insurance company earlier in the week. They got the police report, and were going to make a decision on liability within a few days. To say that I was nervous about their decision was understatement. I mean, I had just convinced them to upgrade their valuation on the car, could I be so fortunate as to get this one on my side as well?

So this afternoon I called the adjuster. He said, "Yes, we got the police report, and after reading it, it just confirmed our viewpoint that the trucker was 100% liable for the accident. He was totally at fault." YEEEEESSSSSSSSS

not only that, but it means that when my insurance company finishes their subrogation of the claim, they are going to collect $500 from the other insurance company and send it to me to cover my deductible.

And that's the end of the story - Now, on to the Turbo that I found . . . . . . . check out the other thread.

larry
Old 02-03-2011, 09:11 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry... Can I stop by and get you to rub some luck off onto us!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CWhaley
Larry... Can I stop by and get you to rub some of luck off onto us!
No kidding......Sorry Larry but the cop had to be blind.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:58 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 83 Posts
Default YES!!!

So this afternoon I called the adjuster. He said, "Yes, we got the police report, and after reading it, it just confirmed our viewpoint that the trucker was 100% liable for the accident. He was totally at fault."
larry
Fantastic news. Right on Larry. I knew it would go your way. Enjoy your new Turbo!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:24 PM
bkjwhipple
Pro

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 PM
larry47us
Pro

Pete:

All I can say is that I'm glad that the cop was there, and you weren't.

larry
Old 02-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Congrats Larry!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, did you also bought a LOTTO ticket? LOL

Glad things turned out great for you. Great sorry
Old 02-04-2011, 04:24 AM
mikes_996
Instructor

Hey Larry, don't forget you might be getting a little something something for your personal injury from the insurance of the truck company. You did sustain some broken ribs and I hope you had that checked out after the accident so that you have medical records on the accident. That will add a significant amount of $$ maybe a GT3 instead of a turbo...hmmmmm
Old 02-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Pete:

All I can say is that I'm glad that the cop was there, and you weren't.

larry
Opinions are like a$$holes...everyone has one. It is just my opinion. But I am happy you are getting a newer ride.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 AM
larry47us
Pro

Opinions are like a$$holes...everyone has one. It is just my opinion. But I am happy you are getting a newer ride.
Pete - no harm no foul. Wouldn't have wanted to see my insurance increase if I was found at fault and upgraded to a turbo. Time to empty the bank account!!!

larry
Old 02-04-2011, 01:32 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 83 Posts

Larry, this is a little OT, but I've been thinking about it since you started the thread.

Looking at the photos showing the damage done by the 40 ton vehicle to your targa, and adding to this that you were able to walk away without any permanent damage to yourself really is a testament to the safety that's inherently built into the pcar. German engineering at its best! Truly amazing and definitely reassuring, although I realize sometimes it comes down to a "simple twist of fate"!

BTW, thanks for sharing this episode of your life with me and fellow RL'ers. I really looked forward to each new chapter as the story unfolded. I guess now we'll be hearing about all the track records with your "arrest me red" TT. Cheers!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:58 PM
ivygreen
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read this thread from the beginning and have watched the opinions go back and forth with regard to fault in this accident, who was blind, who would be able to sleep at night, etc. In a previous life I spent 20 years investigating accidents. The bottom line is this...regardless of what Larry may or may not have been doing at the time of the crash - going straight, fishtailing, spinning, backing up - whatever - every driver is reponsible to control his own vehicle to avoid a collision. If Larry had spun out of control, not come in contact with another vehicle and slammed into the guardrail, he would have been at fault . This was not the case. What happened here was that Larry was fighting for control of his vehicle when a truck, approaching from behind at a greater speed, clipped Larry's car as he passed Larry. In effect, the truck driver failed to control his speed to avoid collision. If Larry and the truck were side by side when Larry lost control and he had hit the truck in the side, or - heaven forbid - gone under the truck's rear wheels, totally different story. Here, however, the truck driver had the opportunity to take evasive action to avoid Larry - however brief - and failed to do so, making contact with Larry's car. Trucker's fault. Blows for the trucker, but that's how it works.

Personally, my heart is broken. I'm a sucker for a dark green car.

Quick Reply: I bought it -- I drove it -- I crashed it