996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Getting ready for Winter Storage...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:41 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Getting ready for Winter Storage...

Hey everybody! The weather is starting to change and its about time for the Porsche to stay in the garage. I play on letting it sit until April 2011. I have read a few threads regarding storage already. What do you all recommend since it is my first winter with the car. I was thinking:

-Change oil
-Clean interior
-Fuel Stabilizer
-Wax and Cover
-Disconnect battery

Am I missing anything else???
Old 10-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

solution to flat spots on tires? Jacks?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:14 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by Topaz330ci
That is a possibility, I don't really like the idea of leaving jack stands under the car for that long. I could always roll the car every month or so...
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

trickle charger.... leave the battery in place.
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by redridge
trickle charger.... leave the battery in place.
Where can I find a decent trickle charger? Which do you recommend?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:21 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Ive used this for 4 winters.... no issues. Just clip on and forget it. I used its "O" connector to mount on the Batt terminals and just plug it on the tender for easy on/off attachment.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery...y-charger.html

Old 10-25-2010, 05:23 PM
2300cc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=POTE996WW

I picked up this one, will be giving it a try this winter.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you read the owners manual Porsche recommends inflating the tires to some really high PSI (50+ i believe) for long storage intervals to avoid flat spots.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:33 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Kinda silly.... but you get the idea, I heard a piece of carpet would help as well.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...FQ915QodjW8o3A

Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by redridge
Ive used this for 4 winters.... no issues. Just clip on and forget it. I used its "O" connector to mount on the Batt terminals and just plug it on the tender for easy on/off attachment.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery...y-charger.html

Excellent....
Old 10-25-2010, 08:46 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Ryan:
Not sure what you get for moisture (humidity) once the weather gets warmer, but before you start driving. I hang a "damp rid" off the steering wheel adjuster, this will absord any moisture and prevent mold. Also, the mice love the cornstarch in the colored German wires, so I place mouse traps and Bounce dryer sheets, on the wheels, in the front radiator areas, in the tail pipes, under the car in the air intake areas, etc. Done this for 5 years and no problems yet. BTW: the Porsche trickle charger (a bit pricey) works great, simple plug it in to the outlet and the cigarette lighter...Oh yeah, put some gasoline stabilizer in and run it through the fuel system before you shut her down. Lastly, I put my baby away with a fresh oil change.
r\
Scott
Old 10-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

disconnect your battery but make sure to leave your hood open.... if you disconnect the battery and close your hood you may not be able to pop it open again.... I usually just put an old wrench in the locking mechanism so it cannot lock accidentally....
Old 10-25-2010, 11:42 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have read, DO NOT PUT YOUR CAR AWAY ON JACKS. It is not good to leave the suspension unsprung for that 4 or 5 months period of time. It may keep the tires from flat spotting, but you can resolve that situation much easier by just overinflating the tires. Don't pull the emergency brake, just put blocks on both sides of one tire. That will keep the car from rolling. Then, every week or so, you can easily just push the car forward and back a foot, and that will keep the tires from getting flat in a spot.

In any case, if they do get flat spotted, for whatever reason, it will generally smooth out after driving it around in the spring for a couple of hours.

larry
Old 10-26-2010, 01:03 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by Country911
Ryan:
Not sure what you get for moisture (humidity) once the weather gets warmer, but before you start driving. I hang a "damp rid" off the steering wheel adjuster, this will absord any moisture and prevent mold. Also, the mice love the cornstarch in the colored German wires, so I place mouse traps and Bounce dryer sheets, on the wheels, in the front radiator areas, in the tail pipes, under the car in the air intake areas, etc. Done this for 5 years and no problems yet. BTW: the Porsche trickle charger (a bit pricey) works great, simple plug it in to the outlet and the cigarette lighter...Oh yeah, put some gasoline stabilizer in and run it through the fuel system before you shut her down. Lastly, I put my baby away with a fresh oil change.
r\
Scott
Why the bounce dryer sheets? Keeps the mice away? The humidity is very low here in nebraska especially in -20 degree weather.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:06 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by Tbred911
disconnect your battery but make sure to leave your hood open.... if you disconnect the battery and close your hood you may not be able to pop it open again.... I usually just put an old wrench in the locking mechanism so it cannot lock accidentally....
You do this because the windows wont crack open when your grab the handle without battery power?

I thought a trickle charger was the way to go?

Quick Reply: Getting ready for Winter Storage...