Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:22 PM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent713
So there is a stand alone oil feed you can install and leave the existing original IMS bearing intact?
Yes. Saw an install vid the other day.

Not touching it. I’ll do the solution if my car qualifies at 100k mi....

TC
Old 12-07-2018, 09:27 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by AA717driver

Yes. Saw an install vid the other day.

Not touching it. I’ll do the solution if my car qualifies at 100k mi....

TC
Do you happen to have the link to this video? This is big news to me and I like to get more info on it. TIA.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:19 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent713
Do you happen to have the link to this video? This is big news to me and I like to get more info on it. TIA.
A simple Google search will get you there.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:33 AM
jdoc1949
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

BRAND NEW IMS KIT FOR SALE
I have a 2003 Targa with 74,000 miles, decided to drop engine and do bearing and seal swap before any issues.
Pulled it apart and found out that bearing was different.
Upon Inspection found out I had a new engine fitted in 2010 under warrantee at 49,000 miles by Porsche. Its the newer engine so IMS is not an issue.
I had talked to the dealer before and asked why they did not tell me, there explanation was they only keep records for 2 yrs, go figure?.
NEW KIT FOR SALE
So I have a LN kit and a new oem seal , I paid $547 for all as I had a coupon, the LN kits are now $650 plus seal $48 ( $698) value
I will seal all for $490 to member. I have photos and receipt, brand new, along with registration card for kit, I can send photos.
John

Last edited by jdoc1949; 12-08-2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spellin
Old 12-22-2018, 08:02 PM
Sapientoni
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My money says many people who buy a Porsche rarely check their oil level. I'd bet when it starts making a noise is when they add oil. Porsche tested these engines for millions of miles but they checked the oil when they added fuel. These "fixes" are probably necessary for anybody too busy to comply with factory users manuals. If this 29000 mile car is "good" when acquired, just check the oil regularly and inspect it when another service makes it convenient. Clutch, etc.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:01 PM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Vincent, I’ll look for the link. It was in one of the threads in this section.

TC
Old 02-23-2019, 09:58 PM
amargari
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 154 Posts

I have been reading a lot about the IMS and watched the videos online. One of the contributing factors is low RPM load on the engine. In all the statistics was there ever a breakdown between Tip cars and Manual cars? I was wondering if the Tip does a better job of keeping the load off of the bearing.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:41 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. Less Tip cars were made, so we see less failures. In all actuality, it boils down to how it's driven. In the city, a Tip will gravitate to top gear, with the engine running at lower rpms on average than a manual car. At higher speeds, the final drive on a Tip has the engine rpm being higher than a similar manual car. It's all in how it's driven.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:43 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Charles, this is one subject I've been wondering about and would appreciate any additional explanation. Is there a way to understand the mechanism which is happening with higher RPMs? I know this is common advice, that higher RPMs help prevent the IMSB from failing. But what is really happening in this circumstance? Is there more oil splashed on the bearing? Does the oil stay fresher at higher RPMs? Do higher RPMs relate somehow to the oil contaminants? Or in the circumstance of the IMSB seals failing, and the "lifetime" grease coming out, do higher RPMs help to drive that old grease out so oil can get at the bearing? Is there some relationship between higher RPMs and the way the ***** in the bearing behave? Sorry for all the poor guesses, it is only to illustrate the further insight I'd be interested to understand. Thank you!
Old 02-25-2019, 01:50 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Syncro
Charles, this is one subject I've been wondering about and would appreciate any additional explanation. Is there a way to understand the mechanism which is happening with higher RPMs? I know this is common advice, that higher RPMs help prevent the IMSB from failing. But what is really happening in this circumstance? Is there more oil splashed on the bearing? Does the oil stay fresher at higher RPMs? Do higher RPMs relate somehow to the oil contaminants? Or in the circumstance of the IMSB seals failing, and the "lifetime" grease coming out, do higher RPMs help to drive that old grease out so oil can get at the bearing? Is there some relationship between higher RPMs and the way the ***** in the bearing behave? Sorry for all the poor guesses, it is only to illustrate the further insight I'd be interested to understand. Thank you!
It has to do with hydrodynamic lubrication. At higher surface speeds, less oil is required to properly lubricate the bearing. Think about it this way - there is a fixed load on the bearing. At higher speeds, the ball spends less time at a given point as the ball is rolling (or sliding) faster. This is obviously an oversimplification, but it gets the point across. Porsche realized this and went to the 6305 bearing to increase the surface speed, which as a byproduct, also restored the load capacity the original dual row bearing had.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:06 PM
amargari
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 154 Posts

So spinning the bearing faster reduces the amount of load on a given surface at a given time. I find it funny that the 70s GM Super T10 transmission I rebuilt had a roller bearing that survived for over 100K miles without issue but Porsche was having an 8% failure rate at half that mileage. Granted, the T10 doesn't have a side load on it and that may be part of the issue. Also, the roller bearing in the T10 wasn't sealed and relied on splashing from the gear oil in the transmission.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:09 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amargari
So spinning the bearing faster reduces the amount of load on a given surface at a given time. I find it funny that the 70s GM Super T10 transmission I rebuilt had a roller bearing that survived for over 100K miles without issue but Porsche was having an 8% failure rate at half that mileage. Granted, the T10 doesn't have a side load on it and that may be part of the issue. Also, the roller bearing in the T10 wasn't sealed and relied on splashing from the gear oil in the transmission.
Yup. As I've said many times, if Porsche had just keep the dual row bearing and left the seals off, I don't believe we'd all be having this discussion now.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:13 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,823 Likes on 1,643 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
It has to do with hydrodynamic lubrication. At higher surface speeds, less oil is required to properly lubricate the bearing. Think about it this way - there is a fixed load on the bearing. At higher speeds, the ball spends less time at a given point as the ball is rolling (or sliding) faster. This is obviously an oversimplification, but it gets the point across. Porsche realized this and went to the 6305 bearing to increase the surface speed, which as a byproduct, also restored the load capacity the original dual row bearing had.
I've wondered about this over and over again this after watching Jake in the PCA video. I thought maybe it had to do with centrifugal forces. But you're saying the load is fixed, and at higher speeds the lubrication needs are reduced reduced because of hydrodynamic lubrication. Based on this link, it appears that at higher speeds, the ball bearings basically hydroplane. Interesting!
Old 02-25-2019, 03:29 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 703 Posts

New term for 2019 - hydroplane your IMSB! Love it....
Old 02-25-2019, 05:41 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Yup. As I've said many times, if Porsche had just keep the dual row bearing and left the seals off, I don't believe we'd all be having this discussion now.
It definitely would’ve given the equipment a fighting chance. I still don’t get why a cylindrical roller bearing wasn’t employed or even a timken style with an angle for thrust loads too. I’m not sure they can handle the rpm, but materials might make that possible.

It’s a lot to ask of a simple ball roller bearing no matter how you view this issue.

Quick Reply: The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)