Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrace
As someone about to take delivery of an '02 C4S, I want to thank you all for taking the time to provide the content in this thread.

I don't want to spend 50%+ of the car I'm buying on rebuilding a motor, so it appears I'll be having the IMS Solution installed.

Jake, you seem to have one installer in/around Toronto - Liam Kelly & Keltech Performance. I've never heard of his shop. He's definitely not one of the 3-5 go-to shops in the Canadian section of this forum. Have you sold him many of these kits?
The IMS Retrofit isn't about how many you've done. Practice often doesn't make perfect in regard to this practice. If every Installer was as careful as they were on their very first Retrofit, things would be much better.

It's a fact that the more jobs that a shop does, the faster they try to do the work. This is because of the screwed up way that technicians are paid, more than anything. The IMSR ends up being treated like a brake job, and that is bad news.

I invited Liam to the program because he was very attentive in classes that he attended here, and his way of doing things are a lot like mine.

The popularity of a shop doesn'timpress me, and also doesn't mean that they do good work. In fact I've had attendees in classes from big name shops, and they were completely lost. By the same token I've had attendees that were from their own one man shop, that no one has ever heard of, and they kick ***. These are the guys that deserve to be invited to shine through our program in most cases. They don't rush, they follow procedure.

That said, I have no idea how many kits that Liam has bought, since all Installers buy their products from a distributor, and I don't sell anyone, anything.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:20 AM
frankfast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking with an Indy, he said he didn't recommend the Solution in anything other than a race car. Said the Solution requires higher revs to keep the bearing properly lubricated.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:45 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by frankfast
Speaking with an Indy, he said he didn't recommend the Solution in anything other than a race car. Said the Solution requires higher revs to keep the bearing properly lubricated.
Sounds like an expert. Not. Find a new Indy.

What he doesn't know is the development of the IMS Solution included a test engine that ran over 400 hours at idle speed. At times I would use an in line valve, with pressure gauge fitted to shut the oil partially off to the IMS solution. I have ran the unit with as little as 2PSI oil pressure, and after a 50 hour study the unit had no more visual, or measurable wear than it did previously. During these tests ambient temps were in the 90s and the engine ran day and night without being shut off, sitting in a test car in the middle of our field, just in case it was to catch fire during the night. Coolant temps were over 240 the entire times, oil temps were 280 degrees plus, and the car would consume 20 gallons of fuel to run for 24 hours, non stop. We didn't even shut it down to refuel it! After the test the car rolled back onto the dyno, and was punished even more

Hear this:
If the Indy was correct the main and Rod bearings in your engine would fail unless the engine was used as a "race engine". Why? This is simple, they are 3-5X bigger than the IMS Solution journal diameter, and have an even greater necessity for oil volume and pressure than the Solution.

This is further proven by the fact that the IMS solution receives its oil directly from the spin on filter adaptor, putting it FIRST in line for oil in the entire primary oil system. That's first before any other dynamic component inside the entire engine. This is part of the novel art that allows the IMS Solution to be Double Patented. This is THE highest oil
pressure found in the entire engine, as it is closest to the oil pump, and offers "just filtered oil" in the highest quantities possible.

This Indy could not be more incorrect. It's clear that he didn't want to do any extra work to fit the IMS Solution over a standard Retrofit and that he was more concerned with the clock than outfitting the engine in the best manner possible.

Please PM me the name and number of the shop, and the tech that told you this. He deserves to hear a few sweet things whispered in his ear. I hate misinformation and people that spew it, when they are clearly, and completely, lost.

I'm send him a video of an IMS Solution equipped engine running with NO oil line attached, both at idle and at 6,000 RPM. The video is from under the car, and oil is leaking out of the IMS Solution feed port, so no way it's fake!

People...........
Old 12-06-2016, 08:51 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The IMS Retrofit isn't about how many you've done. Practice often doesn't make perfect in regard to this practice. If every Installer was as careful as they were on their very first Retrofit, things would be much better.

It's a fact that the more jobs that a shop does, the faster they try to do the work. This is because of the screwed up way that technicians are paid, more than anything. The IMSR ends up being treated like a brake job, and that is bad news.

I invited Liam to the program because he was very attentive in classes that he attended here, and his way of doing things are a lot like mine.

The popularity of a shop doesn'timpress me, and also doesn't mean that they do good work. In fact I've had attendees in classes from big name shops, and they were completely lost. By the same token I've had attendees that were from their own one man shop, that no one has ever heard of, and they kick ***. These are the guys that deserve to be invited to shine through our program in most cases. They don't rush, they follow procedure.

That said, I have no idea how many kits that Liam has bought, since all Installers buy their products from a distributor, and I don't sell anyone, anything.
Thanks!
👍
Old 12-06-2016, 11:52 AM
frankfast
Advanced

Sounds like an expert. Not. Find a new Indy.

What he doesn't know is the development of the IMS Solution included a test engine that ran over 400 hours at idle speed. At times I would use an in line valve, with pressure gauge fitted to shut the oil partially off to the IMS solution. I have ran the unit with as little as 2PSI oil pressure, and after a 50 hour study the unit had no more visual, or measurable wear than it did previously. During these tests ambient temps were in the 90s and the engine ran day and night without being shut off, sitting in a test car in the middle of our field, just in case it was to catch fire during the night. Coolant temps were over 240 the entire times, oil temps were 280 degrees plus, and the car would consume 20 gallons of fuel to run for 24 hours, non stop. We didn't even shut it down to refuel it! After the test the car rolled back onto the dyno, and was punished even more

Hear this:
If the Indy was correct the main and Rod bearings in your engine would fail unless the engine was used as a "race engine". Why? This is simple, they are 3-5X bigger than the IMS Solution journal diameter, and have an even greater necessity for oil volume and pressure than the Solution.

This is further proven by the fact that the IMS solution receives its oil directly from the spin on filter adaptor, putting it FIRST in line for oil in the entire primary oil system. That's first before any other dynamic component inside the entire engine. This is part of the novel art that allows the IMS Solution to be Double Patented. This is THE highest oil
pressure found in the entire engine, as it is closest to the oil pump, and offers "just filtered oil" in the highest quantities possible.

This Indy could not be more incorrect. It's clear that he didn't want to do any extra work to fit the IMS Solution over a standard Retrofit and that he was more concerned with the clock than outfitting the engine in the best manner possible.

Please PM me the name and number of the shop, and the tech that told you this. He deserves to hear a few sweet things whispered in his ear. I hate misinformation and people that spew it, when they are clearly, and completely, lost.

I'm send him a video of an IMS Solution equipped engine running with NO oil line attached, both at idle and at 6,000 RPM. The video is from under the car, and oil is leaking out of the IMS Solution feed port, so no way it's fake!

People...........
I won't give you their name but can only tell you that they were recommended by the local Porsche dealer to perform an IMS upgrade. Apparently they do a lot of race prep.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I went through this same discussion, mostly with myself, I decided the BEST option is the IMS Solution but the cost was just too much for me from an approved installer. So I went with the LNE ceramic bearing replacement. Not as permanent for sure but should las the life of the car based on my expectations for how long I will keep it. I totally respect Jake, his invention and his knowledge of these cars and engines. If my car was 10 years newer I would have an IMS Solution in place.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:08 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Esfoad
I went through this same discussion, mostly with myself, I decided the BEST option is the IMS Solution but the cost was just too much for me from an approved installer. So I went with the LNE ceramic bearing replacement. Not as permanent for sure but should las the life of the car based on my expectations for how long I will keep it. I totally respect Jake, his invention and his knowledge of these cars and engines. If my car was 10 years newer I would have an IMS Solution in place.
Pretty sound logic . You enjoying your Carrera?

I've come to channel any anxiety about the engine into simply reading build threads and trying to learn more about the idiosyncrasies of the engines so when the time comes I can make an informed decision. Maybe even attend a rebuild class and buy a spare motor to learn on. For me the joy of it is encompassing not just the driving experience and refurbishing my own car but learning about the mechanical stuff that used to intimidate me. It's a cool piece of machinery!
Old 12-06-2016, 03:43 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Pretty sound logic . You enjoying your Carrera?

I've come to channel any anxiety about the engine into simply reading build threads and trying to learn more about the idiosyncrasies of the engines so when the time comes I can make an informed decision. Maybe even attend a rebuild class and buy a spare motor to learn on. For me the joy of it is encompassing not just the driving experience and refurbishing my own car but learning about the mechanical stuff that used to intimidate me. It's a cool piece of machinery!
I'm loving the Carrera. I made the right choice, invested (I think wisely) in a few things like all new fluids, new tires, the IMS bearing replaced, a new audio system with modern conveniences like Nav and Apple CarPlay, probably $12000 in all plus the car so maybe $35000 invested and have a car that is everything I imagined for most of my life reading about Porsche 911's in magazines and never believing I would own one some day.
The following users liked this post:
pointerDixie214 (03-21-2022)
Old 12-06-2016, 04:35 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Great to hear, we're on similar journeys it seems. I really like Z cars and Vettes, but the 996 is just a little more enjoyable for all around driving. I did a lot more fun driving this summer in the 996 than last year in the 350z (9,000 miles vs. 3,500).

That audio unit sounds like a nice addition, cheers.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:03 PM
Esfoad
Racer

We really love the Vette but much like many new cars, it's almost too antiseptic. I grew up in the 60's and 70's where our involvement in driving was important. It's all I can do to try and stop my kids from texting when they are driving!! But some conveniences are good, like bluetooth for the phone so I went with a Pioneer head unit and some new door speakers. Didn't do a sub because there's really no good place to put one in these cars and the sound is good enough for top down driving.
Myh brother has a 350Z and absolutely love it. So good choice there.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:26 PM
frankfast
Advanced

[QUOTE=Flat6 Innovations;13793120]Sounds like an expert. Not. Find a new Indy.

Hear this:

People...........[/QUOTe

Jack - You say that you are a local certified installer for anybody on the east coast. How would you get a car from New York to your shop in Georgia and what would be the cost?
Old 12-15-2016, 01:58 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Jack - You say that you are a local certified installer for anybody on the east coast. How would you get a car from New York to your shop in Georgia and what would be the cost?
The same way that we land cars from much further away. This week we are performing an IMS Solution on two cars, and one is from Canada. We ship over 100 Porsches per year to and from our facilities, and we are shipping brokers, so we can do this work as a free service to the customer. This is no big deal, Jud, my General Manager spends most of his time shipping Porsches.

Shipping costs averages 75 cents per mile, so just Google the distance from wherever you are, to 30528 which is our zip code. At times Jud can negotiate with our shippers to 55-65 cents per mile, but thats dependent upon season, weather, fuel costs, and etc.

We shipped five cars last week, two this week, and have three ready go next week. Its a blessing when someone local works with us, but it seldom, seldom occurs.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:19 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

The same way that we land cars from much further away. This week we are performing an IMS Solution on two cars, and one is from Canada. We ship over 100 Porsches per year to and from our facilities, and we are shipping brokers, so we can do this work as a free service to the customer. This is no big deal, Jud, my General Manager spends most of his time shipping Porsches.

Shipping costs averages 75 cents per mile, so just Google the distance from wherever you are, to 30528 which is our zip code. At times Jud can negotiate with our shippers to 55-65 cents per mile, but thats dependent upon season, weather, fuel costs, and etc.

We shipped five cars last week, two this week, and have three ready go next week. Its a blessing when someone local works with us, but it seldom, seldom occurs.
I wish Hawaii had a certified installer...
Old 12-16-2016, 12:04 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I wish Hawaii had a certified installer...
To date we've not had any class attendees from Hawaii that could be invited to the program.

Thats the first step.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting conversation in a couple of other threads on earl Mk.1 996 cars with double bearing. If it has run sofar the conversation goes, don't touch it and leave it be.

With all I have read sofar my conclusion has been, also for a double bearing, that it makes sense if you change the clutch to also change the bearing. Since the car I purchased did not have the bearing replaced during the clutch change 30k miles ago I decided (since I have EVERY intend to keep the car for many years to come) to replace now the IMS to a ceramic LN double bearing, replace clutch, RMS and AOS. Car has ran 90k miles sofar.
Next on planning would be waterpump, vario-cam wear pads and 4th/5th timing chains (no intelligence there from my side, just following the cue from Jack Raby (thank you Sir!!)).

Anyway, back to IMS double row bearing....what is nowadays the latest recommendation?

Volkert

Last edited by Volkert; 01-12-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Quick Reply: The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)