Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Window Repair DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdlorenz
...I spoke to 4 different places & all of then said they'd need to take the top off & at that point I might as well just get a new top.

If there are people who've gotten it repaired, please share your experiences. If it can be done for $400, I'd like to see the results.
I had a similar experince when looking for someone to fix the window. I called at least 10 places, and most would not even attempt the repair, and those that did wanted $800 to $1000 to fix it.

The guy that quoted me $800 assured me that Porsche did not make a convertible version of the 911 from the factory, so I must have an aftermarket conversion. I decided he did not have the Porsche expertise to work on my car

For me, having the window fixed for $400 would have been nice. Since I couldn't find that, I opted for the DIY repair. Maybe I'll get a new top in a few years.

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Window repair only runs $400, fyi.
Where? Do you have contact information? When did you get that quote? How was the quality of the work?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:37 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a local guy on this site "programator" or something like that. He posted a pic a couple years ago. All I recall is that I had an option to pay $400 or $1400 but since my top was faded I went for the $1400 GAHH replacement.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by frisbee91
I had a similar experince when looking for someone to fix the window. I called at least 10 places, and most would not even attempt the repair, and those that did wanted $800 to $1000 to fix it.

The guy that quoted me $800 assured me that Porsche did not make a convertible version of the 911 from the factory, so I must have an aftermarket conversion. I decided he did not have the Porsche expertise to work on my car

For me, having the window fixed for $400 would have been nice. Since I couldn't find that, I opted for the DIY repair. Maybe I'll get a new top in a few years.

Where? Do you have contact information? When did you get that quote? How was the quality of the work?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Mdlorenz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up ordering Raggtopp cleaner & waterproofer. I'll report back on the effectiveness of that stuff.

The needles I used were quite a bit smaller then the ones that came with the stitcher. I got a couple form a local leather shop. a smaller & then a larger (both smaller then the speedy stitcher ones tho) and on my 2nd stitch broke the smaller one, then only broke 2 of the larger ones... mostly form me not paying attention. In hindsight I could probably do the whole thing now without breaking one... but man does it take a toll on your hands.. blisters, cuts scrapes...

Maybe I have girly hands.

Haven't decided on the caulk or not.. sure does make it look messy if you over do it... We'll see... I'm rarely out when it rains anyways, mostly for "just in case" scenarios...
Old 07-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Mdlorenz
AutoX

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
It was a local guy on this site "programator" or something like that. He posted a pic a couple years ago. All I recall is that I had an option to pay $400 or $1400 but since my top was faded I went for the $1400 GAHH replacement.

Good luck.
You probably get what you pay for. Then again, all said & done I prob paid $100 for this... we'll see how it holds up. Initially I'm pretty happy.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Mdlorenz
AutoX

Holding up fantastically. Looks great. Pretty psyched.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

Attempting with super glue and a wooden furniture clamp, in small sections.

Back later with results.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:30 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Major kudos to all who have tackled this DIY repair.

When I was researching on getting a cab years ago, I learned about the issues with plastic windows for 99-01 996s. Helped me decide to limit my selection to 02-up only.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:54 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gretch
Attempting with super glue and a wooden furniture clamp, in small sections. Back later with results.
I'd be curious to see how well the superglue works for this repair. If it looks like it's not going to hold up in the long term, consider the sewing methods documented above.

My repair is 2 years old, and the stitching is holding up very well. The silicone bead is peeling a bit, so I plan to remove it. I will not replace the silicone bead, and I do not recommend using it at all.

Best of luck with the repair.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

The stitching looks and sounds like it is a major PIA to do. Makes me wonder if there is another mechanical fastening method that would work and look reasonably well finished.

I note that the plastic window was not originally stitched to the top. I will consider hand stitching the window, before I consider spending the cash to have the top removed and repaired.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:49 AM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From my original questions it looks like my job is two years old. I did all the gluing with no stitching. It is just now separating on the one original corner where the problem started. I might can start over again but the original plan was just hold off till I got a new top. i understand they are just $1200-$1400. Don't drive in the rain anyway so holding off to see how things are going. Two years ago I tried a few stitches but just didn't have the skill to keep going so have no regrets. Might re-glue if easy and all in all am thrilled with Fris' original write-up.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

After gluing and clamping along the bottom edge, I let it dry and then applied another bead of glue (super glue is thin and actually runs so this worked good on the bottom edge) along the bottom edge and let dry for 24 hours, in the full down position.

I put the top back up and latched it to the windshield and it looks good and holds the tension well.

Way better then putting the car on the shelf and dropping $1500 for a new soft top.

With the right clamp, this is not a bad job at all and I encourage DIYs to take a crack at it.

Only caution is go easy with the glue........ with too little, you can go back and re-glue that section, too much and you might have a real mess on the window.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:20 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Update March 2013. There's been a few posts lately about the 996 plastic window. I thought I'd give an update on my original post from 2010. It's now been 2.5 years since I did this sewing repair on my convertible top window. The repair is holding up just fine. My only outstanding issue is the silicone caulk I used on the window-to-canvas seam. I don't think it adds much to the repair, but it doesn't look very good. This spring, I'm going to see if I can figure out how to remove it. If you do the repair, avoid the silicone.

Any suggestions on removing silicone caulk from canvas and vinyl?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:22 PM
LI911
Instructor

Originally Posted by frisbee91
It's been about 8 months so far since I completed this, and the repair is holding up great. No leaks. In hindsight, the only thing I regret is using too much clear silicone at the end of the repair. Just a tiny bit between the edge of the fabric and the window would have been sufficient to seal the thread holes, but I used too much, and it doesn't look great. You can see it in the pictures.

I barely notice the stitching, and I think that it adds a lot to the strength of the seam. (even though it was a pain in the a** to do.)

I've polished the old plastic window with Meguiars PlastX a few times. It works OK to clear up the window, but it doesn't last. It's the kind of thing you need to re-apply. I'll probably end up re-polishing the window each time I apply wax to the car.

Anyone have better luck reviving an old plastic window more permanently? What did you use?
Frisbee I haven't had the car long enough to say it will last but the Novus 1,2,3 system worked really well to clear up the window and take out allot of the light scratches.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I would be looking to the world of scuba diving repairs if I needed glue for my rear window http://www.diverightinscuba.com/cata...ue-p-3182.html
Old 08-30-2016, 03:48 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Update: August 2016.
This repair is now almost 6 years old. Still going strong. No leaks, tears, etc.

The plastic window is starting to look pretty worn and scratched, so I'll probably do a plastic polish with PlastX or a similar plastic polish. But, no plans for an expensive convertible top replacement at this point.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Window Repair DIY