996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Change Spark Plug Tubes? Coils?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:49 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
Question Change Spark Plug Tubes? Coils?

I'm getting ready to order the parts to do a spark plug change on my '99 C2 Cab. How do I know IF I need to replace the spark plug tubes (and/or tube o-rings), and the Ignition coils (and/or spark plug connector)?

I'd like to get the parts I need ahead of time, but I don't want to change anything I don't have to. Of course, If I get in there and find something obviously broken, I can always get the parts. It's just less convenient that way.
Also, any good (inexpensive) place to get the parts?

The car is running well, and has 53k miles on the clock. It'll be my first time diving into the engine (besides an oil change.)

Will be swapping out mufflers for PSE-hacked 3.6's at the same time. (Thanks Dennis!)
Old 08-31-2010, 02:07 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Yours is a little bit different then mine but most people say if they are not cracked then there's no need to replace them.

With that being said once the mufflers are removed it is a MUCH easier job to perform so it's up to you whether you want to invest the money and replace them now or remove the mufflers again later to replace the parts when they do go bad.

I hadn't done anything on my car except change the oil when I did this repair myself. It took me a long time to get it done but it wasn't difficult, just be patient and have the right tools on hand.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:12 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you not getting any Cels or misfires/rough running, leave the coils alone. You may pull a few off and find hairline cracks in the top. You can order replacements for the ones that are cracked later.

I would replace all of the spark plug tubes and orings with the spark plugs since you will have the exhaust down and the parts aren't big money.

It might make sense to buy 1 or 2 coils so you can replace them as needed or if you see cracks.

I changed my plugs with the exhaust on and it took 4.5 hours. I would do as much as you can with the exhaust off.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:17 PM
porsches996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi....,

As my car is a 996 2000 i can easily supposed the set up for the engine spark plugs tubes and the rest are all the same.

2 months ago i did the plugs by myself and it took me 2 hours..not as easy as i tougt at first.

Then i decided to replaced 3 spark plug tubes who were leaking...this is definitely not easy at all.
I bought a boat plug at WalMart to help but the tubes are really not easy yo take off.It took me around 3 hours to do just 3 of them....next time it will be much easier.

Good luck
Old 08-31-2010, 05:45 PM
03911TT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Soverystout's appoach. Replace all tubes/orings and have a couple coils just in case you see one with a crack.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:54 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to do all this at some point too, and had one big question no one has answered yet. If your AREN'T planning to put on new mufflers, does it make sense or would it save time to take them off anyway to make getting at the plugs and tubes easier? For just plugs maybe not, but if you're going to do all the tubes and O'rings too??? How long to remove and replace muffs?

I'll be doing it alone, so as long as removal and install of the muffs is a one-man operation, I would be willing to give it a shot.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:01 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by peavynation
I'm going to do all this at some point too, and had one big question no one has answered yet. If your AREN'T planning to put on new mufflers, does it make sense or would it save time to take them off anyway to make getting at the plugs and tubes easier? For just plugs maybe not, but if you're going to do all the tubes and O'rings too??? How long to remove and replace muffs?

I'll be doing it alone, so as long as removal and install of the muffs is a one-man operation, I would be willing to give it a shot.
Absolutely yes! remove the exhaust. My Mk2 doesn't have tubes and orings that are accessable fromt he spark plug holes (You have to take the valve covers off to get to the orings on a Mk2.

All I replaced was the pllugs and it took over 4 hours. Without the exhaust in the way it would have been done in 30 minutes. No BS here.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

When I first changed my muffler cans out from stock it took me an afternoon. 2nd time it took a 1/2 hour. There are 3 nuts for each can along with the clamps under the rear bumper. It really is simple.....and you need to remove the rear tires too.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:07 PM
peavynation
Pro

Originally Posted by soverystout
Absolutely yes! ... All I replaced was the pllugs and it took over 4 hours. Without the exhaust in the way it would have been done in 30 minutes. No BS here.
Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
When I first changed my muffler cans out from stock it took me an afternoon. 2nd time it took a 1/2 hour. There are 3 nuts for each can along with the clamps under the rear bumper. It really is simple.....and you need to remove the rear tires too.
Thanks guys, great info to have! I'll pop off the wheels and let the bolts soak in penatrating fluid for an hour before I get into it.

So, any tricks to pulling the tubes out? And I assume the coils just unbolt and pull straight off (with the muff out of the way).

OP, I'm not highjacking your thread! Really! I figure you'll need all this info too, so might as well get it all in one thread.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:19 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by peavynation
...So, any tricks to pulling the tubes out? And I assume the coils just unbolt and pull straight off (with the muff out of the way).
OP, I'm not highjacking your thread! Really! I figure you'll need all this info too, so might as well get it all in one thread.
Same question. How to get the tubes out?

Porsches996, you said your "tubes were leaking". How did you know this? What are the symptoms?
Old 08-31-2010, 07:36 PM
911mike99
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely yes! remove the exhaust. My Mk2 doesn't have tubes and orings that are accessable fromt he spark plug holes (You have to take the valve covers off to get to the orings on a Mk2.

All I replaced was the pllugs and it took over 4 hours. Without the exhaust in the way it would have been done in 30 minutes. No BS here.
What if you have the muffler bypass? How much time will it take then?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:24 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by frisbee91
Same question. How to get the tubes out?

Porsches996, you said your "tubes were leaking". How did you know this? What are the symptoms?
2 little 6 or 7 milimeter bolts and then you pull the coil straight out.

Easy.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:00 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

2 little 6 or 7 milimeter bolts and then you pull the coil straight out. Easy.
Thanks , but I was asking about how to remove the spark plug TUBES on the MK1, and how to figure out IF they needed to be replaced.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:05 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by frisbee91
Thanks , but I was asking about how to remove the spark plug TUBES on the MK1, and how to figure out IF they needed to be replaced.
You can use the Porsche tool $$$$ or use a boat plug. They sell them at Wal-mart. I think you need a 1" plug and then you and to do a little trimming.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...sporting-goods
Old 09-05-2010, 12:08 PM
peavynation
Pro

Originally Posted by function12
You can use the Porsche tool $$$$ or use a boat plug. They sell them at Wal-mart. I think you need a 1" plug and then you and to do a little trimming.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...sporting-goods
Thanks Function12, I saw "boatplug" up in the thread earlier, but didn't really know what that meant. I see now what the tool is. Cool.

Quick Reply: Change Spark Plug Tubes? Coils?