Sponsored by:

Change Spark Plug Tubes? Coils?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:38 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Arrow Follow-up post.

I finally did my spark plug job this past week. (Used the tutorial I found on Renntech) Not as bad as I thought it would be. Just need a little bit of patience. I ended up buying six new spark plug tubes with o-rings from Sunset. I pulled the old tubes using a 1" boat drain plug.

It seems the PO must have changed the tubes at some point, because the old tubes looked great. I changed 3 of them anyway, since they had a tiny bit of oil inside. Oh, and my coil packs looked great, so I didn't change them. Maybe they were replaced too?

I installed Bosch FGR6KQC plugs (cheaper at Pelican). Turns out the same plugs were already installed in the car. Again, the PO must have done the job at some point, but I didn't have detailed records, only things like "40K mile service". Oh well, maybe the job was unnecessary, but now I know it's right.

Pulled the stock mufflers to do the job, then installed my PSE-modded 3.6L mufflers when I was finished. Sounds great.
Polished my exhaust tips, too. Thanks for the pointers.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Good for you. Did removing the mufflers make plug removal easier? Isn't it nice to listen to your Porsche exaust now after modifying?
Old 10-04-2010, 04:02 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
Good for you. Did removing the mufflers make plug removal easier? Isn't it nice to listen to your Porsche exaust now after modifying?
Removing the mufflers definately made the plug job easier. Now that I've done it once, I probably could change the plugs without removing the mufflers, but I have small hands. For the first time, ABSOLUTELY remove the mufflers. A 3", 6", 9", and U-joint socket extension made the job straightforward.

Of course, I was swapping out my mufflers anyway, so it was a no-brainer for me. The throatier (is that a word) sound is nice.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:08 AM
mikeswift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frisbee91
Removing the mufflers definately made the plug job easier. Now that I've done it once, I probably could change the plugs without removing the mufflers, but I have small hands. For the first time, ABSOLUTELY remove the mufflers. A 3", 6", 9", and U-joint socket extension made the job straightforward.

Of course, I was swapping out my mufflers anyway, so it was a no-brainer for me. The throatier (is that a word) sound is nice.
Is this is mufflers I remove?
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 AM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes and there is currently a good thread up called Spark Plug Tube Replacement. It has some good tricks on how to get the tubes out. If I can make a suggestion it would be a good idea to clean up the motor before you start the job.
Good luck with this.

Cheers, Scott
Old 12-13-2011, 11:28 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 344 Posts

@Mikeswift - You won't be able to remove the mufflers using the bolts you circled in your picture. Do a search here for FisterD or muffler removal for instructions. It's not hard, but you need to know where the proper bolts are. The reason is that the way the muffler bolts are currently installed (from the factory), they pull out from the top and there isn't enough room for them to come out. The first time you remove them you need to take off the bracket with them.

Quick Reply: Change Spark Plug Tubes? Coils?