Sponsored by:

996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:12 PM
flybye_
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome

Post some mor epics and mods when you complete them.
I hope to have some pictures up soon, spring has hit VT finally!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:22 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by flybye_
Just wanted to say Hi I have # 826 has 15k picked her up almost a year ago out in TX
Mods are Fabspeed Airbox
Muffler by pass pipes
Xm Radio
and some silver trim parts
Originally Posted by rossclifford
I have no. 454

Flybye, how's the air box and muffler bypass sound, is it very intusive or only really under acceleration?
Originally Posted by CossackRaider
Just purchased #1275 this weekend from a dealer in NY; previous owners added the alumina interior to match the 40th anniversary silver center console for a really clean and unique look.
Updated the registry. congrats to all of you guys. I would love to see the alumina look interior.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 PM
ALE
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

A buddy working at the Barber's Motorsports Museum (Birmingham, AL) told me they have car #1 on display. My guess is that it is there for the Porsche 250 race this weekend, but that was not confirmed. If you get the chance to drive at Barber's, take it; it is an outstanding facility.
Safe driving & God bless.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:14 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Originally Posted by Steve2112
I use PS21 and lots of elbow grease. I also keep up on it, and don't let the brake dust build up for a few months - I clean them every 3 weeks or so with the PS21 and an old t-shirt. Comes out like new for me.
I let the brake dust sit in the wheels for a too long as it was cold for the winter. Washed the wheels and used some Mothers wheel polish with a soft rag. Helped quite a bit, but wheels still have marks. No pits.

Thoughts on how I can get these looking better without spending a fortune?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:01 AM
oldporman
6th Gear

Unhappy Cone takes out right radiator

Originally Posted by knfeparty
It looks good but I would cringe every time it rubbed a dip in the road. I'm still waiting for a cone to take out one of the radiator covers...ever happen to you?
Well I just had a cone take out the right front radiator (slapped hose, broke bib). Also broke the Front Right Wheel-Housing Liner. Really shocked that a cone could do that.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:48 PM
ALE
Rennlist Member

I'm going to attend my first HPDE event in the 40th AE this weekend. Any tips from those with 911 experience in these events? The car I previously used for this was a Shelby GT and I suspect there might be a few differences.
Thank you.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:06 PM
flybye_
5th Gear

Default IMS

So as a precaution I had my Indy do the L&N IMS bearing. When they removed the old one, no sign of failure and was very dry. My car has only 15k but I wasn't to sure in the past owners service history. Now I have piece of mind, but wanted others to know my experience.
Hope that helps someone out.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:57 AM
balefire
Pro

Originally Posted by oldporman
Well I just had a cone take out the right front radiator (slapped hose, broke bib). Also broke the Front Right Wheel-Housing Liner. Really shocked that a cone could do that.
WOW. I had no idea that was possible. I've cracked an ABS front lip from a cone, but never that serious of a damage. When I had my grill in front of the radiator replaced due to a flying tire from a semi, the body shop had to replace the entire bumper since all the tabs broke too. I'm hoping your damage was less severe.

Originally Posted by ALE
I'm going to attend my first HPDE event in the 40th AE this weekend. Any tips from those with 911 experience in these events? The car I previously used for this was a Shelby GT and I suspect there might be a few differences.
Thank you.
The autocross forum will bring you a lot more tips and experiences than this thread. But my experience is that the front is pretty camber limited causing a lot of push unless you use throttle oversteer which I bet will not be as easy to do as it was in your Mustang in our lower torque 911.

Originally Posted by flybye_
So as a precaution I had my Indy do the L&N IMS bearing. When they removed the old one, no sign of failure and was very dry. My car has only 15k but I wasn't to sure in the past owners service history. Now I have piece of mind, but wanted others to know my experience.
Hope that helps someone out.
Glad to hear it was ok and that you have peace of mind.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:05 AM
balefire
Pro

Some mods this weekend.
JIC full titanium exhaust
Dectane LED 997 tail lights
LED 3rd brake light
LED side markers
LED license plate bulbs

I've kept all the original equipment with the expectation that the next owner will want it, but I'm not planning on selling this anytime soon.
If I ever should sell this car, it will be years from now, and I'm guessing the resale won't be much better with or without the OEM stuff.
Should I go ahead and empty my garage?

Last edited by balefire; 04-25-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:05 AM
ALE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ALE
Thank you.
I'm sure you longer term owners already know this - our cars do great on technical road courses like Barber's Motorsports Track. It truly exceeded my expectations.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:18 AM
oldporman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by balefire
WOW. I had no idea that was possible. I've cracked an ABS front lip from a cone, but never that serious of a damage. When I had my grill in front of the radiator replaced due to a flying tire from a semi, the body shop had to replace the entire bumper since all the tabs broke too. I'm hoping your damage was less severe.
Well, the bumper is pretty expensive. So, my damage was probably little less expensive. I had to buy a new right radiator and the right front fender liner (part of aero package). This is a potential soft spot on the car. The lower radiator bib actually sticks out a little right under the bumper and the soft aero flap. I'm guessing if you hit a cone just right of the corner it can get though the flap, slap the hose, break the bib, and then catch the harder fender liner and break it too.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:27 PM
balefire
Pro

Hopefully my last mod for a while.
Philips DayLight 8 LED DRLs.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Steve2112
Racer

Nice - how is the quality? Audi really started a trend!

I haven't done any mods other than an L&N IMSR and clear side markers. Your car looks great - wheels too.

How much do they cost if you don't mind?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:14 PM
balefire
Pro

Originally Posted by Steve2112
Nice - how is the quality? Audi really started a trend!

I haven't done any mods other than an L&N IMSR and clear side markers. Your car looks great - wheels too.

How much do they cost if you don't mind?
I think the quality of the Dectane LEDs and the Philips LED DRLs are excellent. Couldn't ask for better.
The Volk wheels were priced around 800 each but they're forged so some people like me are crazy enough to get it.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Steve2112
Racer

Not crazy, just getting what you want. They are expensive, but only in relative terms. When I had my 08 G37S with factory 19" wheels, some a$$hats put my car up on blocks and stole the wheels in my driveway. Infiniti charged $5600 to my insurance company for 4 new wheels and tires. I could have upgraded I guess, but I really liked those factory wheels, so I kept them. The thief(s) did no damage, and I did have wheel locks - they don't help. I wish I had a garage, so I had to get a storage place to sleep well at night.

Quick Reply: 996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ