Sponsored by:

Cab plastic rear window separation

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:12 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Cab plastic rear window separation

So, my new '99 Cabriolet has a few "fixer upper" issues. The first I'm trying to deal with is the separation or delamination of the rear window from the top. (see pic below.) I have quotes from a local shop for $1800 for a new top, or $750 to "sew in" a new rear window. The top is in good shape, so I'd like to keep it.

My local dealer says the replacement windows tend to wrinkle since the top is "stretched", and recommends a totally new top. This doesn't make any sense to me. Anyone had a replacement window sewn in? How'd it work out?

Also, can I save some $ by removing the top myself and having the upholstery guy sew in the window? How bad is the removal/reinstall DIY job?

Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2010, 10:14 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear plastic on my 2000 cab started separating 2 years ago. It wasn't as bad as yours -- only about half an inch in the bottom. I had the rear plastic window stitched in for $400 at a local upholstery/marine shop.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:14 AM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Frisbee, I had a similar issue with my 2000 cab top; the material was in excellent condition but there was a small pinhole in the lower driver corner.

One alternative was to look for a complete new top. OEM is upwards of $2500 just for the top...I didn't go that route. I looked at aftermarket and there is a manufacturer on ebay that I asked plenty of questions regarding the material and quality of construction. $550 shipped for my blue top, OEM material/color, just not the PORSCHE name; it arrived and was impressive.

I was recommended by a friend to a local shop that has been doing tops/upholstery for 40+ years here in Miami. I paid them a visit and lo and behold, they buy from the same guy I did. After some detailed questioning, the installer did say that replacing the top is very tedious, alot of pulling, stretching, aligning, etc to get the top installed properly. they quoted me $500 takes about 2 days for removal of the old top /install.

The installer told me AFTER the job that I could have just had the plastic window resewn for about $200 plus the install, but you brought up a good point of the "stretching" that can occur if that's done, so I don't feel so bad. But i did keep my old top cuz it's the original and even the plastic window was in OK shape, but it was 9+ years old, and that's what i was told is usually the time when the glue/ stitching around the windows starts to to fail on these cars.

They did it over the Christmas holidays, very pleased with the results.

Long story short, it's all about the installer's expertise. GL
Old 04-18-2010, 11:05 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had them sew in a new window in mine. They cut out the old one.
That cost me $750.

Not sure I would recommend that if your window is still ok, just sew the existing one in again.

A new top from Gaah costs $1917 with glass and $1317 with plastic.
http://gahh.com/

It all depends on what quality you want.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:58 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 282 Posts

I had the window replaced and a new one sewn in for ~$600 - about half of what the dealer wanted for the exact same job. Never had any stretching issues. Top was in great condition, so why mess with a whole new assembly?
Old 04-18-2010, 03:26 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

This just happened to me in my 964 cab. I fixed it myself, and it was very easy.

If the 'eyes' in the plastic window are not cut, then you simply resew the plastic to the canvas using the existing holes. Go to a fabric store and buy upholstery thread and a good needle. It took me about 1.5 hours to sew in the entire bottom of the window (taking my time and a few 2 minute breaks).

Again, very easy and the repair cost me $7.00.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:51 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

the stitching on mine came apart in small area , but I noticed there was also glue sandwiched between the window and fabric, and that was aged and also separating. it seemed to me that the lower seam was allowing the water to sit there and find it's way into the car.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:26 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Default Top removal DIY?

Anyone have experience with removing then replacing the convertible top (as opposed to cutting/stretching/gluing a NEW top)?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:23 PM
nc911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Anyone have experience with removing then replacing the convertible top (as opposed to cutting/stretching/gluing a NEW top)? "

I've only heard 2nd and 3rd hand, not to do it as a DIY.

I had my plastic window in my '01 stitched in with a replacement.
Still leaked.
I've had my top replaced with GHH in the end. Pricy but worth it to me.
The shop owner did explain the process to replace a top in our cars.
Not easy (stretching, fitment, not damaging anything!, etc).

Best of luck.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Some people overlook the obvious.

Q. My Mazda Miata has a super big hole in the convertible top. Can I just patch it with duct tape.

A. Sure, whatever, but don't you think it's really time to replace the top?
http://www.tucsontops.com/faq%20tops.html
Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'm going to try a sew-in replacement. Anyone know any good (and reasonably priced) upholstery or top shops in Northern Delaware?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

My '99 separated at the bottom corner, 2" and 2 months out of warranty (since sold, bought/sold others).

PCNA said no, it's your problem.

Dealer told me window would run about $700 and installation, which is a pretty cool process to see it electrically 'glued'...involves long rods out of your wheels, tapping the battery for power, etc. But I was also warned that upon removal of old plastic, canvas/zip seal might break.

It did. I was in for about 5k at that point for an entire new canvas AND window.

Of course at the time I had the notorious Warranty Gold policy - worthless POS - and still have $5500 in claims against those bastards whenever we see any pennies from it (been about 7 years). Oh well.

Good luck either way.

Next owner got a rock solid '99 Cab, with a new top and window.

'04 C4S Cab had glass.

'09 Turbo Cab has glass.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 09-02-2010, 12:39 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Lightbulb Problem finally fixed

Follow up to an old post of mine. It took me a while to get it done, but I ended up with a DIY top repair. You can find a full write-up of my repair here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...epair-diy.html

I do a bunch of searching on this forum, so I'm just trying to close the loop for the next guy.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:50 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

great work Fris! congrats.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:07 AM
darcimaui
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CT944
This just happened to me in my 964 cab. I fixed it myself, and it was very easy.

If the 'eyes' in the plastic window are not cut, then you simply resew the plastic to the canvas using the existing holes. Go to a fabric store and buy upholstery thread and a good needle. It took me about 1.5 hours to sew in the entire bottom of the window (taking my time and a few 2 minute breaks).

Again, very easy and the repair cost me $7.00.
So do I sew around the window from the inside and out? I just came home from a vacation to a fallen out back window.

Quick Reply: Cab plastic rear window separation