Sponsored by:

Fuel additives

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 02:09 PM
bigrob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel additives

I have been using seafoam for my fuel additive for a while now. I used Chevron Techron as well time to time. As I recall, when I used something in my '84 928S, the car ran poorly when an additive was running it's course. Was wondering what u guys r using and if there r any I'll affects?

Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:18 PM
JCL
Intermediate

I run chevron techron through my 99 C2 about every 3 or 4 tankfuls. I used it religiously in my 944 for years and when I took the fuel rail off to replace the o-rings the injectors looked brand new so I am a huge fan.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Traditionally I always used Techron, but after reading several technical articles I've been using STA-BIL fuel stabilizer.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by bigrob
I have been using seafoam for my fuel additive for a while now. I used Chevron Techron as well time to time. As I recall, when I used something in my '84 928S, the car ran poorly when an additive was running it's course. Was wondering what u guys r using and if there r any I'll affects?

Thanks!!
I've only used Techron additive as per instructions, not often either, and have never experienced any engine problems/syptoms while Techron treated gas in tank.

Could be I suppose if fuel system particularly dirty or deposits heavy, etc., that the cleaner could loosen something that could affect one or more fuel injectors for a time and cause some noticable symptom.

Techron is a pretty agressive cleaner and I would not advise using it too often. The Techron you pour in from the bottle is reported to be quite a bit stronger than the Techron blended into Chevron gas. (I think this from the Chevron site but I have no link to it.)

Overuse could lead to eroding of the injector tips or other possible negative side effects.

Better than frequent use of Techron additive would be to after treatment then use a top tier gas and buy this gas from a busy station and thus keep build up to a minimum or even avoid it altogether.

I came across a Boxster engine in a dealer's service department for a broken intake valve and heads were off block. I looked at the combustion chambers and valves and all surfaces were quite clean considering the engine had around 60K miles. So clean I asked tech if he had cleaned the chamber surfaces and he told me not they were as he found them upon disassembly.

Tech told me owner took good care of the car and drove it every day, commuting to/from work mainly.

So, with the right kind of use, the right brand of gas, the engine's internals should stay rather clean and having to use Techron additive applied to the gas tank should be a very rare event.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't recall seeing techron as a fuel additive you pour in during filling up. Is there a certain brand fuel additive with it?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM
bigrob
Racer

I only use a cleaner once in a while as well. The 928 I had did have 126000 miles and may have been a little dirty. Thanks for the input!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

techron once in the spring and once in the fall, then a long trip to use most of it all at once.
been working for me in all my p-cars for years.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Pac996
I can't recall seeing techron as a fuel additive you pour in during filling up. Is there a certain brand fuel additive with it?
Major autoparts stores carry Techron in a bottle, two sizes, 10 gallon treatment size and 20 gallon treatment size (IIRC, if I don't remember correctly something in this general range).

Bottle basically black. In the fuel additive section.

It is supposed to be -- from Chevron though I dont' have link -- the same Techron it adds to its fuel but in a highly concentrated form.

I just dump in a bottle, then fill up tank. It has been a while but I probably get the 20 gallon bottle and put it in my car's 16+ gallon fuel tank then fill up the tank until the gas nozzle shuts off.

Run the tank down to near empty and then fill up again. At this point, or soon as I can, I arrange to change the oil/filter to drain out the oil that has picked up some of the concentrated Techron and any engine deposits it has managed to remove and which have managed to find their way into the oil.

I probably don't use it even once a year.

In the case of my Boxster I use it a few weeks before my Boxster is due to be smog checked, which comes up every other year.

Shortly after I bought my 03 Turbo (used with 9500 miles) I used it, then had the oil changed at 10K miles. I've got nearly 29K miles on the Turbo now and have not had any need to use Techron.

Frankly, I've found with several various cars once I head out on a long extended trip the engine just perks up after a hundred or more miles of highway driving.

By time I reach say Bakersfield after leaving Livermore engines are just humming.

At Bakersfield, when I leave 99 and get on 58 east and encounter the climb up to Tehachapi and then the long haul across to Barstow engines feel real strong. The nice long (140 mile) high speed haul across I-40 from Barstow to Needles and then the 60+ mile haul from Needles to Kingman AZ and the engines are ready to rumble the remaining 1000+ miles across the country to my destination.

Took my GTO down to Huntington Beach a year ago and by the time I reached where I-5 and 99 come together GTO engine felt noticably stronger.

Thus I don't see much need in regular treatments of Techron.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:20 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll use a half bottle of Heat once every couple of years, helps any residual water from condensation mix with the fuel.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Airrik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered Redline Fuel Injector Cleaner System about a week ago around ($9.95 plus s&h) and tried it today makes the car real smooth. My car seems a hair quicker off the line with better mpg now. Here is the link below.

http://porsche.parkplacestores.com/P...=78222.81&c=23
Old 02-24-2010, 08:27 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With today's superior fuels and their additives, using after market cleaners is most often just a waste of money. It is definately not needed for those who use 10% ethanol fuel. However, keeping the top of the engine clean is still recommended.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus fuel system cleaner -- very good stuff
Chevron Pro-Gard fuel injector cleaner -- better off saving money and using top tier gas

///Michael
Old 02-25-2010, 11:54 AM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

With older 911s and CIS injection, there has been some technical articles that 10% ethanol produces moisture in the fuel line and your gas tank, therefore causing contamination issues and fuel distributor problems.

So the recommendation is to add a fuel additive as a preventive maintenance.

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
With today's superior fuels and their additives, using after market cleaners is most often just a waste of money. It is definately not needed for those who use 10% ethanol fuel. However, keeping the top of the engine clean is still recommended.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:02 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wpriller
With older 911s and CIS injection, there has been some technical articles that 10% ethanol produces moisture in the fuel line and your gas tank, therefore causing contamination issues and fuel distributor problems.

So the recommendation is to add a fuel additive as a preventive maintenance.
For a garage queen...maybe. If you are going through a tank of gas every few weeks, moisture is not a problem
Old 02-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yah we are cursed with ethanol in hawaii. I think its a Shell station I stop at that has the V power 92 octane with nitrogen supposed to clean the engine. Elecronic ignitions with O2 sensors are probably the biggest leap of engine care for keeping them clean.

I've seen many guys that store bikes for winter around the world believe in seafoam to revive the high winding engines. That seafoam has a good reputation.

There are some fancy machines out there for cleaning injectors which involves removing the injectors to clean them.

Quick Reply: Fuel additives