996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I have to firmly press the clutch pedal against the floorboard to start the car

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 AM
adg44
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have to firmly press the clutch pedal against the floorboard to start the car

It didn't used to be like this, but I really have to put a lot of pressure on it, otherwise it won't start. I assume there is some sort of switch/sensor that once the pedal passes a certain point, the starting lockout is released. I figure that mine needs to be readjusted or something.

Anyone have any ideas? I haven't had a chance to look at the pedal assembly yet...

Thanks,
- Anthony
Old 02-23-2010, 12:16 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

under the dash.... just follow the clutch pedal, you'll see the switch on the top of the pedal stem. Yes its adjustable.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

You can also by-pass the switch by putting a zip tie on it to hold it closed. This is what I did.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dharn55
You can also by-pass the switch by putting a zip tie on it to hold it closed. This is what I did.
so do you think that gives the throttle a better response like others are stating?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:34 PM
adg44
Instructor

Originally Posted by redridge
so do you think that gives the throttle a better response like others are stating?
I don't understand how that would have anything to do with throttle response...
Old 02-23-2010, 06:36 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by adg44
I don't understand how that would have anything to do with throttle response...
to bad the cayman link is dead on this thread.... shows the clutch switch you are looking for...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ay-switch.html
Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The clutch-starter switch and the clutch-throttle delay switch are 2 separate switches. If you look at the photo below from up under the footwell where the clutch pedal is located you can see the gray rectangular clutch-starter switch in the lower half of the photo. It's a microswitch and you can hear it click when depressing the pedal. The clutch-throttle delay switch is the orange/black plunger type switch in the upper right of the photo. That is probably connected to the DME and affects throttle response and cruise control AFAIK.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2010, 11:08 AM
adg44
Instructor

Originally Posted by smackboy1
The clutch-starter switch and the clutch-throttle delay switch are 2 separate switches. If you look at the photo below from up under the footwell where the clutch pedal is located you can see the gray rectangular clutch-starter switch in the lower half of the photo. It's a microswitch and you can hear it click when depressing the pedal. The clutch-throttle delay switch is the orange/black plunger type switch in the upper right of the photo. That is probably connected to the DME and affects throttle response and cruise control AFAIK.
I was just coming here to post this. I looked at the assembly last night and snapped a photo with my camera phone:

If you see where I circled the one connection, one prong was pointing at the floor board and the other at the side of the car. So I flattened it out so they were both the same, and now it seems to be fine. Looking at your photo above, both of your connections are somewhat pointing down instead of to the side like mine. I figured I just hit mine with my shoe when I was getting in or out of the car and that's what messed it up.

Granted I still have th push the pedal all the way to the floor, but I don't have to smash it down there to start. I did not see any adjustment for this switch, as the switch should be disabled once the clutch passes the halfway point (where you hear it click).

- Anthony

The car

Last edited by adg44; 02-24-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-2010, 11:58 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

my bad fellas, I thought they are the same switch.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:07 PM
adg44
Instructor

I drove the car today and the starting problem is fixed. So it seems like it was a connection issue and not an adjustment issue.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove the car today and the starting problem is fixed. So it seems like it was a connection issue and not an adjustment issue.
YAY for a free fix!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:56 PM
adg44
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eharrison
YAY for a free fix!
Yeah... I spoke too soon.

Maybe I am just not fully pressing the pedal all the way to the floor, but when leaving dinner tonight it did the same thing.

Do all of you have to completely and firmly depress the clutch pedal all the way to the floor in order to start the car?

I didn't see any adjustment underneath there though, so I'm not quite sure where to go from here. Is there a bump-stop for the clutch pedal on the floorboard? I don't remember seeing one...
Old 02-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah... I spoke too soon.

Maybe I am just not fully pressing the pedal all the way to the floor, but when leaving dinner tonight it did the same thing.

Do all of you have to completely and firmly depress the clutch pedal all the way to the floor in order to start the car?
I didn't see any adjustment underneath there though, so I'm not quite sure where to go from here. Is there a bump-stop for the clutch pedal on the floorboard? I don't remember seeing one...
Yes! Sometimes I forget and have to push a little harder. I haven;t looked at where the swith is but there is one.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:01 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

are you sure there is nothing in the way such as your carpet etc... you shouldn't have to press hard at all. In fact you will hear the limit switch way before you hit bottom.....

I would do a continuity test on that switch, maybe its going bad or the connection is disconnecting.... at least you know where the problem is.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:24 AM
adg44
Instructor

Originally Posted by redridge
are you sure there is nothing in the way such as your carpet etc... you shouldn't have to press hard at all. In fact you will hear the limit switch way before you hit bottom.....
Yeah, that's what is throwing me off - i hear the switch about halfway through the clutch pedal travel.

I would do a continuity test on that switch, maybe its going bad or the connection is disconnecting.... at least you know where the problem is.
Good idea. Are we sure this is the only switch? There isn't a secondairy switch elsewhere?

Quick Reply: I have to firmly press the clutch pedal against the floorboard to start the car