Sponsored by:

996 values on the rise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Searching the country from October through early December for an 02/03 996 I found the preponderance of cars in the following regions/states:
  • Florida (got to be careful with these)
  • The South (primarily in GA, NC/VA)
  • The Northeast (NJ and MA mostly)
  • Texas
  • California (mostly LA area, but also Bay Area and Sacramento)

Very few cars in the midwest, other than a few in the Illinois/Indiana area (mostly Chicago regions).

www.searchtempest.com allowed me to search Craigslist globally - the key to any search. I found my car (in MA) initially through autotrader. But then I found it advertised locally on Craigslist for $1k cheaper!
I know what you mean about Florida cars in one sense, but Florida cars are sought after cars (provided they haven't been well, soaked in water I guess is the concern you would have about a Florida car) cause the climate there is of course very mild and Florida cars rack up fewer miles than other areas of the country.

CA cars sought after too cause of mild climate though cars here can rack up bigger miles than Florida cars.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:39 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I will say there are not a lot of nice 996's for sale right now in Nor Cal.
Look again.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/1539599213.html

I spent 15 seconds literally and found that.

Drive 1 hour...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1538009559.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/1534548378.html

Took me 30 seconds to find those in the Bay Area.

Bottom line,there is nothing special about any M96 platform Porsche and they will all hit a rock bottom. Look at the old 914s,944s,930s,964s....they all hit a bottom line but still have some value as long as the car is mainly original and pretty well taken care of.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:40 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually the problem is a recurring issue of odometer rollbacks and unscrupulous quasi-dealers in the sunshine state. Several times in my search for a 996 I inquired about cars in FL and got evasive answers or no answers to fairly straightforward questions. I found one car listed in three different cities on Craigslist with a different name and number for each ad. Several times I inquired about cars only to get a reply email trying to sell me a different vehicle, followed up by spam.

Having said that, a friend just bought a beautiful 997 out of the Miami area with no hassles. However, he did fly in to see the car before buying and the purchase was from an individual throught the PCA Mart. I just think it is an extreme buyer beware region...
Old 01-06-2010, 10:54 PM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's interesting that others have had bad experiences with Florida dealers also. I was emailing a dealer about an '01 C2 that was listed as one owner. I asked him why the autocheck showed that the car was titled four times and in different states and also shown in dealer inventory at 11,000 miles, he told me that it was due to the owner moving around. I also asked him about whether the car had any work on the RMS and IMS and he asked me what "RMS" and "IMS" meant. I apparently insulted him in my response by suggesting that he might not be familiar with 996s and he responded by calling me an "idiot that is a mid-life crisis that think he knows something" and he knows these cars better than I ever will. I have been tempted to forward his insulting email to the dealership manager but it's probably not worth my time.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:08 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Look again.

Thanks. Yes Blink, I found that one plus the one in Jackson that is on Ebay. Plus, I didn't say they are NONE. I just said not a lot. Maybe I am being too picky but take this one on Craigslist that you point out. It's on Autotrader also and I carfaxed it. That car has had 5 owners with the current owner only being 3 months. It gives me pause. Not being in a rush I am looking for a 1 or 2 owner car with detailed records.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:23 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Look again.

Thanks. Yes Blink, I found that one plus the one in Jackson that is on Ebay. Plus, I didn't say they are NONE. I just said not a lot. Maybe I am being too picky but take this one on Craigslist that you point out. It's on Autotrader also and I carfaxed it. That car has had 5 owners with the current owner only being 3 months. It gives me pause. Not being in a rush I am looking for a 1 or 2 owner car with detailed records.
I don't see why people worry so much about mutiple owners....the higher end car,the more owners they tend to have. Look at Ferraris for example. Just look at the car's shape and owner's character and you'll be fine.

My daily driver Neon had 1 owner prior to me and it's the biggest piece of **** I've ever driven.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:27 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

My daily driver Neon had 1 owner prior to me and it's the biggest piece of **** I've ever driven.

Maybe because it's a Neon!? Not sure the number of drivers is relevant with it.

As for worrying about the number of owners... I have found that single owner cars tend to have impecible records for what has been done with the car, they tend to keep their cars up, likely wealthier (since they could afford the car new) so take care of it, etc.... I have been looking on/off for a 911 for years so I am not in a rush here. I just want to increase my odds of finding a nice one.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:14 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Look again.

Keep in mind that it is sometimes hard to see exactly how many owners a car has had on carfax. For example, my car shows 3 owners, when it has actually been only 2. Carfax is counting when the original owner paid the car off as being owner #2.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:45 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Carfax owner info is really confusing as it also can list a dealer who bought and then sold the car as a seperate owner. With this, a two owner car can show as three or even four owners.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:35 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

I have been looking on/off for a 911 for years so I am not in a rush here. I just want to increase my odds of finding a nice one.
Head to SoCal, LA and SD are the best spots to get bargains on Porsches.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:32 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Head to SoCal, LA and SD are the best spots to get bargains on Porsches.
Of only little help to west coasters, but the northeast is where potential bargains are this time of year...
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 PM
s_kelly
Advanced

I once called a florida dealer about an incredible deal on a 997 - an '06 for less than 30 grand. Of course, 5 minutes into the conversation, the actual car for sale turned out to be a boxster, despite the pics online that clearly showed a 997.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

There is an old saying "Been Down So Long Looks Like Up To Me!"

Quick Reply: 996 values on the rise?