996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 11:04 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

My sunroof has been wonky since I bought the car five years ago. It opens fine, but the one touch close doesn't work. It gets halfway closed, then either stops or reverses direction. If you hold the button in the whole time it will close.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:51 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
My sunroof has been wonky since I bought the car five years ago. It opens fine, but the one touch close doesn't work. It gets halfway closed, then either stops or reverses direction. If you hold the button in the whole time it will close.
I had this problem and it was solved by applying grease to the tracks where the cables and guides run. It was binding and the safety circuit was kicking in.

I had to remove the panel to gain access to the guides, but this wasn't that difficult. When it was all done I had to reset everything though and that took a few tries IIRC.

Now it works great - like new even.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:11 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
I had this problem and it was solved by applying grease to the tracks where the cables and guides run. It was binding and the safety circuit was kicking in.

I had to remove the panel to gain access to the guides, but this wasn't that difficult. When it was all done I had to reset everything though and that took a few tries IIRC.

Thank you--I'll try that next weekend!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Rob996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wwest
On mine the center button raises the rear of the sunroof (vent position..??) and pressing the front of the button assembly closes it. To "slide" to the rear, open the sunroof, I depress the rearmost button of the assembly. closing is the same for both.

'01 C4.
My 01 C4 works exactly the same way... and have no issues with it.
I do have it lubed or greased every 2 years to keep everything sliding as it should..
Old 03-11-2012, 03:28 PM
calbear
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pdobbs
I've searched the forums and found the sunroof reset procedure, but still can't seem to figure out the issue I am having...

I have a 2001 996 coupe. When operating the sunroof the back button will not work upon initially pressing it. Neither will the vent button. But if I push the forward button, the sunroof will raise. Then push the forward or back button again, it will close. Then, if I push the back button, it will open up fully. Seems a bit finnicky.

Additionally, the sunroof reset procedure will not work for me or perhaps I am doing it wrong.

Any help appreciated.
Hello all,
I've been a 996 Turbo owner for about 6 months, and have had no problems with my sunroof until just a couple of days ago with the exact same symptoms as the OP and others have described. Has anyone had any luck finding a solution to this?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by calbear
Hello all,
I've been a 996 Turbo owner for about 6 months, and have had no problems with my sunroof until just a couple of days ago with the exact same symptoms as the OP and others have described. Has anyone had any luck finding a solution to this?

Thanks!
Try what Jasper did. Could of sworn there was an old thread discussing the switches getting flaky but eh.

My headliner panel seperated from the sunroof and I'm being lazy getting that repaired. Either the front or rear snaps in while the opposite side wont.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:55 PM
clorigo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Mine works great! It rattles, but it works great!
This was a great threat. Going to try this as I am having the same issues.

As for the rattle mentioned above I solved that by installing an "edge guard" - viola no more rattles! Just a rubber strip that goes across the back "springy thing". If anyone is interested I can post pictures.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 AM
wgerola
AutoX

Default Any update on solutions?

I recently purchased my 996 and it has exactly the same sunroof switch behavior as described in this post. Has this issue ever been resolved? Has anyone ever resolved this?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Add me to this list
My one touch has not worked in month.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 AM
clorigo
Instructor

Mine has never worked except right after training. Turn off the car and start it again. That's it. Thought about trying to lube the track - it's just not easy to get to.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

I was going to replace the motor but I figure why bother until it flat out dies.
Right now just a slight inconvenience and I chalk it up to "character" :/
Old 05-05-2013, 02:03 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Gents;

I see that in November 2010 I fixed my problem with the sunroof only closing part way by greasing the rails. That problem started re-occurring a couple of years later - but only once in a while and I haven't re-lubed it yet because......

My one-touch feature stopped working. I now have exactly the same symptoms as the OP.

I need to tilt up the roof using the forward button, then push the forward button so it does a little wiggle, then push the forward button one last time to tilt the roof down.

Only then I can one-touch it open....and it won't one touch closed. That has to be done the hard way.

Looking for a solution but I guess it doesn't exist yet.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:38 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

mine is the exact same
Old 05-06-2013, 12:35 AM
GNR996
Race Car

Gents;

I see that in November 2010 I fixed my problem with the sunroof only closing part way by greasing the rails. That problem started re-occurring a couple of years later - but only once in a while and I haven't re-lubed it yet because......

My one-touch feature stopped working. I now have exactly the same symptoms as the OP.

I need to tilt up the roof using the forward button, then push the forward button so it does a little wiggle, then push the forward button one last time to tilt the roof down.

Only then I can one-touch it open....and it won't one touch closed. That has to be done the hard way.

Looking for a solution but I guess it doesn't exist yet.

exactly the same symptoms as mine.

the rattles and the sun roof just add to the charm...

sorry.. no help but good luck.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:41 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Isn't kind of "odd" so many with the same issue? I would think the motors are the problem yet they still open and close so it is just odd. I an PITA sort of way but not a big enough PITA for me to do much about it, LOL.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Help