Sponsored by:

question about x51 oil pan and baffles

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:35 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dervish
Pic 1 shows that the stock pan is almost a complete four sided oil trap.
... You are right about those extra gaskets on the x51 but comparing how the stock mates up with the block you'll notice that the rounded lower plastic lip does the same thing but just doesn't stick out so far. The oil is still contained to the same depth as the x51 and isn't allowed to flow out at that point.
As you noted, the rounded lip in the stock baffle effectively closes the baffle, but it also illustrates that there is a reduced amount of oil available in the "pocket."

Also, now that I look at this closer, I'm not convinced there is actually a huge flow path between the sections in the stock pan, i.e., point number 3 may be slightly embellished (picture number 4). The small metal tab appears to dovetail to some degree with the block and may actually prevent some oil from flowing between the halves.

However, to the extent there is a separate flow path, oil will take the path of least resistance during hard cornering, which may contribute to starvation issues.

You can see this in your pic 3. Also you will notice that the rear of the trap is enclosed on the stock where as the x51 is open. There is no rubber seal as with the small gaskets. Oil can effectively flow around the rear of the baffle between the edges and engine block wall.
Fair point. Although there is no gasket, it looks to me like the flat edge of the baffle is pretty close. I have no idea if oil actually flows around the back side, but given the rest of the design, I would expect little if any.

The actual rubber baffles are the same material as on the stock and don't stay open any more so I can't see how that helps either.
On the X51 the baffles are manufactured to stay open. Although it may be minimal, it reduces the resistance to oil flowing into the baffle area. On the stock pan, the baffles are close all the time. This extra resistance may discourage oil from entering the pocket.

The wall holes are also the same.
Actually, the holes are little higher on the X51, probably to closer match the pickup location (i.e., to better match the pickup depth). This may also affect the deep sump pan you mentioned.

I'm not trying to pick holes but after taking the stock pan off I sat and analysed how this new x51 pan would help prevent oil starvation. I just couldn't see it. I've got a degree in Physics and spent along time researching fluid mechanics and still couldn't exactly 'see it'. In the end I figured the Porsche designers obviously had more knowledge than me and fitted it anyway????
No worries. I'm not a Porsche engineer. It just made sense to me when I researched it. Like I said, it could be all wrong and your engine might blow up

As another option there is this... http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9095.php
If you get the deep sump, you should consider the extended oil pickup since the deep sump moves the bottom of the oil pan away from the oil pickup. Under extreme cornering you could exacerbate the starvation issue. That is, there is substantially more oil in the pan, but not necessarily substantially more in the baffle area. There have been a number of discussions on this, but who really knows if it makes it better or worse...

Ultimately, to benefit from the X51 oil pan, you probably need all the other X51 parts, or just get a new engine altogether
Originally Posted by Loren
The X51 oil pan baffle will likely help a little but the real improvement in the X51 is for oil return from the cylinder bank 4 - 6. The X51 kit modifies that cylinder head and adds a return line and additional suction pump. Under hard cornering oil was remaining in the head for too long and not returning to the oil scavenge pumps. The X51 return line and pump alleviates that problem.

=============================
Lastly, those that are even considering this are probably track junkies anyway. And we all know that $250 is nothing in the grand scheme of tracking a 911. If you don't track your car, you probably don't need this mod.
=============================

-td

Last edited by himself; 06-18-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
No worries. I'm not a Porsche engineer. It just made sense to me when I researched it. Like I said, it could be all wrong and your engine might blow up
Haha, great!

Totally take your points though and it's always good to get a fresh pair of eyes on something. Like I said I ended up fitting the pan which without the full X51 kit may just be a waste of money but hopefully it will help prevent 'something' happening???
Old 06-18-2009, 05:55 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Good pics and details but I have a few questions. I have fitted this pan and carefully compared the 2 and how they mate up to the engine block.

Pic 1 shows that the stock pan is almost a complete four sided oil trap. You are right about those extra gaskets on the x51 but comparing how the stock mates up with the block you'll notice that the rounded lower plastic lip does the same thing but just doesn't stick out so far. ]

The x51 is also 4 sided once it is installed, the gaskets are mated to the engine wall (thus holding more oil in the baffled area). When you installed the x51 pan, have you noticed extra resistance... that is the gaskets sealing up inside the engine wall.

I'm not trying to pick holes but after taking the stock pan off I sat and analysed how this new x51 pan would help prevent oil starvation. I just couldn't see it. I've got a degree in Physics and spent along time researching fluid mechanics and still couldn't exactly 'see it'. In the end I figured the Porsche designers obviously had more knowledge than me and fitted it anyway????

I also looked at the 2 design... in fact the pics that were posted are mine....
oil starvation were never an issue with these cars... unless you are tracking with slicks. the water cooled guy Ryner? at the PCA site stated that they never seen any oil starvation incident/problem... it was just one of the 996 myth. The x51 is def a better design...bottom line... it holds more oil within the baffles.

the prob with this setup is yes... it extends the oil capacity but in the wrong direction. What good is it making it deeper if the oil pickup cant reach the oil.... if there were a pickup extension then it would be better
Old 06-18-2009, 06:04 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
in fact the pics that were posted are mine
Nice pans Red Those pics are getting some good mileage - thanks!

oil starvation were never an issue with these cars... unless you are tracking with slicks.
FWIW, I pull 1.6+ LatGs and 1.4+ longGs running R6s. So far no engine kaboom. But my last engine did kaboom running RA1s. No confimed diagnosis as to whether it was oiling or not. Maybe Raby knows the answer

-td
Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Red is spot on.. The x51 has a rubber seal on both the front and rear. No question about it. It creates a much bigger box for the oil to sit inside of.

Also, extremely vital is that openings on the doors sit significantly higher than the stock baffle... BTW the parts department calls this thing a "windage" tray.

Also +1 on the Negative for the BK. what it does is just plain friggin wrong. It lifts the baffle up but leaves an open gap all along the bottom.. Where does the oil go? DUh to BK.

Mantis has the only other good solution in that they extend just like BK does but seal while extending and then drop the oil pick back down by the same amount. Ie you carry more oil and your oil pickup sits deeper w/i that pool of oil.

Originally Posted by redridge
The x51 is also 4 sided once it is installed, the gaskets are mated to the engine wall (thus holding more oil in the baffled area). When you installed the x51 pan, have you noticed extra resistance... that is the gaskets sealing up inside the engine wall.

I also looked at the 2 design... in fact the pics that were posted are mine....
oil starvation were never an issue with these cars... unless you are tracking with slicks. the water cooled guy Ryner? at the PCA site stated that they never seen any oil starvation incident/problem... it was just one of the 996 myth. The x51 is def a better design...bottom line... it holds more oil within the baffles.

the prob with this setup is yes... it extends the oil capacity but in the wrong direction. What good is it making it deeper if the oil pickup cant reach the oil.... if there were a pickup extension then it would be better
Old 06-18-2009, 07:22 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

another note.... the only way that the oil can move from side to side (high G's) of the x51 pan is through the side 3 holes...

the stock pan use plastic tabs to keep the flaps in place... the x51 pan use rivits... When I pulled the stock pan out, I found 2 plastic tabs that hold the flaps at the bottom of the pan... the plastic tabs are cheap... if the rest of the tabs wouldve totally failed... the flaps would of failed and oil starvation is imminent.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 51 Posts

I agree on all points mentioned. It all makes sense.

I'm sure I read in the BK install instructions that there was an extension to the oil pick up but reading it again there isn't so feeling the same about that kit as you guys.

Redridge, yup, your photos, was following your threads on 6speed...
Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll post a few really interesting pics next week...

And it doesn't include rubber oil control windows...

Last edited by Jake Raby; 06-19-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Data points:

I have noticed in several 996s that extended sweepers (Roebling Road for example) will have the oil pressure drop a couple of bars as per the gauge on stick street tires. I'm at Thunderbolt right now, and I've seen it go as low as 2 bar on the gauge on a long enough sweeper. I'd seen close to 1 at Roebling. I only notice it at the exit of turn 2 at VIR full.

Anybody do a before/after with this pan?

Also out of curiosity, does anybody care to explain what exactly it means to have lower pressure as per the gauge? Does that mean the pick up gets partially uncovered, and pockets of air enter the oil supply?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:02 AM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pick up tube extension and question

LN Engineering has a pick up tube extension that works with the BK kit. Or you can just buy theirs and it comes with the extension.

http://www.lnengineering.com/deepsump.html

Question though, the install video for the LN / Flat 6 kit mentions that you have to modify the stock plastic oil baffle. You use a Dremel to extend the lower edge of the 3 "windows" on each side. So if you go with both the X51 and the LN or BK deep sump kit do you have to extend the "windows" on the metal X51 baffle too? Jake, have you seen this combo on a car?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:32 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

How easy of a DIY is this? And because I'm lazy what is the cost of the X51 Pan?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:54 AM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

$199.95 at Sun Coast. I think it is a direct R&R for the 996 and requires a bit of trimming for the 986. Looks pretty staight forward.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
How easy of a DIY is this? And because I'm lazy what is the cost of the X51 Pan?
What did you get us into?!?
Old 07-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this on my 99 996. It was a breeze plus I had the opportunity to get a look at my sump and oil pickup.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:21 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CornerCarver
What did you get us into?!?
I know.. I feel like I have a live granade in my car.

Quick Reply: question about x51 oil pan and baffles