Sponsored by:

Monterey Historics

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:12 PM
steveespo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monterey Historics

Just wondering who is heading out to the Monterey Historics this August. I am and would like to meet some of you all. Porsche is the featured marque and the sights and cars are unbelievable. Cant wait to hear multiple 917s at Laguna Seca.
Steve
Old 04-19-2009, 02:25 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Won't be able to get out of work this year, but have been almost every year for the past 15 years. Laguna, Concorso, and RM at night. Can't get much better than that. There are a lot of guys on 6speed that meet up and drive together, there is usually a fairly large thread about it.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:43 PM
ChestRockwell
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was fortunate enough to live in Monterey for a few years and auto week is what I think heaven is going to be like. You get a chance to see cars there that only come out of people's collections to be sold to another lucky individual then put right back into storage. I would love to make it out there but don't think I'm going to make the trip this year. I plan in heading out in 2012 and shipping my car out with me. There is a great car show that week called the Cherries Jubilie, the PCA out there gets to run hot laps on Laguna Seca and for 15$ you get to ride along. That is where I fell in love with Porsches, a guy took me for a couple laps in his brand new GT3 and I knew I had to have one. It's taken me 5 years, and I don't have a GT3 yet, but I did pick up my first Porsche this past week.

I highly recommend that everyone who can get to Monterey for Auto Week do so. And if you're in to watches as well there is a great little watch house in Carmel just down the road called Lussori that is worth a visit. Oh, and there is this little sandwich shop called Compagnos that is just out the gate of the Presidio of Monterey that makes killer sandwiches that deserves a visit as well. Actually, if you want a list of must do's while in Monterey send me a PM

Chest
Old 04-20-2009, 01:48 AM
dnitake
Racer

There will be a DE event the following Monday put on by Coastal Driving and Monterey Bay PCA. You can test drive the 917 you just bought! Check out
http://www.coastaldriving.org/news/news.html
Old 04-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

My long term vintage car goal is to get one of my cars accepted for the historic races. Our club had the most entries last year than any other vintage club...but it will not be this year Have fun without me.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Resurrecting this thread...

Initially I was not able to go, but now it looks like I have a green light. This will be my first time there.

I plan to drive from LA to Monterey on Thu Aug 13th. Anyone driving up that same day?

And as expected I'm having a hard time finding a place to stay at (other than setting a tent at Laguna Seca). Do any fellow rennlisters have tips or suggestions on places to stay? Checking in on Thu 13 for 3 nights. I'll even stay on a garage if I need to... I just need an 8ft x 5ft place to land on...

TIA!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:34 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

At this point, it is going to be very difficult to find ANYTHING remotely close to Monterey. We book our rooms a year in advance to assure that we actually have one.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Thanks.
Fortunately I did find a place in Salinas, which didn't require I sell one of my kidneys.
If anyone is also looking for a place there's several rooms left at the Howard Johnson in Salinas http://tinyurl.com/HoJo-Salinas (obviously no affiliation).

Hope to see many fellow Rennlisters in Monterey? Any other cool 996'rs going?

Ohh... I just realized this is my 911th post... That's got to mean something...
Old 07-25-2009, 11:13 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Usually there are a lot more guys on 6speed that end up going as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts. One time we were forced to stay in Salinas, it is not a bad drive at all. You will be in for a real treat. My favorite thing to do is to eat at a little Italian place on the strip called Caruso's Corner and watch the exotics fly by while eating some great pizza. You will love the whole weekend, there is nothing else like it.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:28 AM
steveespo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, booking in advance is the best way to save a litlle $$$. We are actually staying in Gilroy (Garlic capital of the world) at a Hilton Garden Inn, $99 a night. To stay in Carmel or Monterey is $350-$600/night. My wife and I are attending the Concorso on Friday and the Historics on Saturday and Sunday in the Flagroom out by Turns 4 and 5. Breakfast and lunch plus tented seating, really nice. We are renting a 'vette from Hertz cause it's too expensive to ship the Porsche back and forth from NY to CA, maybe one year. The peninsula, San Francisco and Big Sur areas have some of the most beautiful driving roads and scenery in the world, with Porsche as the featured marque this is one not to be missed.
Hope to see many rennlisters there.
Steve
Old 07-26-2009, 08:22 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

We usually get a PT Cruiser or something sweet like that since don't want to ship cars from TN. You telling me you aren't going to be at the corkscrew? Blasphemy!

Quick Reply: Monterey Historics