996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Panamera Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 03:45 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, thanks for the upload though can't exactly thank you for confirming it really is as ugly, to me, as I feared. Saw this pic and thought it might not be too bad ... until I saw yours.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:30 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many of you may know of or read this on a regular basis

http://www.autoextremist.com/
"Porsche closes the book on its past, with a resounding thud."

This week is his diatribe on Porsche & the Panamera (if someone links to this page much later they will need to search for it - No. 493, April 22, 2009).

He really can't stand W. Wiedeking (PAG CEO) and what he has done with the direction of the company...an interesting read just for the theory of what the future of the auto business might come to look like given the Chinese market.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:05 AM
othomasjr
Racer

This car may very well put Porsche out of business
Old 04-24-2009, 02:13 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
..... and it has to have a Tip!

Nicholaas, aren't you glad I'm back?
I "voiced" my happiness in the lifetime member**** ( I mean ship) tread
Old 04-24-2009, 02:23 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by othomasjr
This car may very well put Porsche out of business
that is exactly what I thought when I first saw the Cayenne I didn't think anybody would buy that butt ugly SUV...but then again I thought the same when I saw the first narrow body 996 in 1998 in Germany...I HATED IT!! and guess what? I am driving one and loving it. Americans have strange taste when it comes to cars.....that is why in my eyes the (not so) BIG 3 (anymore) gotten away with building S.H.I.T. for decades and still the designs and technology is FAR behind German car makers and ofcourse the Japanese...just my 2 cents

Just saying Porsche might have found a niche market for their Panermarea..... time will tell.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:27 PM
befast
Instructor

It's a 4 door hatchback, 'nuff said! Cayenne didn't start out so gloriously. It's latest incarnation is very nice though. So hopefully this one follows in the same footsteps, gaining its own distinctive/attractive identity.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:47 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See the thing is the Cayenne was ugly, granted, but it was a truck, a wagon, and none of its competitors were really so much better looking. It still looked like a truck. People who wanted to buy a truck could see how it fit the bill.

That panamera looks very good in the renders from the front and even the 3/4 from the front, but it looks like a wagon with that really unfortunate rear roofline, and I guess guys who like wagons will buy them. Because the guys who like sedans will buy the CLS63, the Aston, the flying spur, the 760, the S63, the S8 etc. That gap between the leading edge of the headlights and the body shell looks really off, but hey whatever. I'm not buying one. Also, some people don't care what other people think. I mean plenty of people like to talk smack about 996 headlights, we all don't seem to mind right?

Personally I'm very happy with anonymous as a characterization for my 4 door people mover. Benz/Audi/BMW all make really decent sedans. We've got one of each over here. I don't really want their sports models, and I don't want Porsche's sedans or SUVs much either. If I really needed a truck, I'd buy Ford or Chevy. If I really needed an SUV, I'd buy a Land Cruiser or a Gelandewagen. I guess I'm just not the crossover demographic. I'm the guy who never understood the M5. I mean, who wants a 4 door car with a 6 speed and springs so stiff you need a live in masseuse (I'll take the masseuse though)? Enough guys obviously do, passionately at that. I'd rather have a 4 door luxury car AND a 2 door sports car. That's me. But someone will buy this panamera, and something tells me it's the guys who pay lots of money to convert ferraris and bentleys into station wagons, cause they like that shooting brake look.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:45 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems I'm in the minority but I like it. I certainly don't love it but I like it. I bet we'll own one after it takes it's 50-60% depreciation hit over the next couple of years.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:07 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Porsche closes the book on its past, with a resounding thud.

Brilliant and Right on the money ... from THE AUTOEXTREMIST

Porsche closes the book on its past, with a resounding thud.
By Peter M. De Lorenzo

So what direction will Porsche take?

Will it harken back to the singular vision and philosophy of its engineering genius founder manifested in its light and agile sports cars built unlike any other? Or will it dial up its racing heritage, which at one point was the envy of most of the other car manufacturers around the world (Ferrari excluded, of course)?

How about none of the above?

As for the “singular vision of its engineering genius founder” angle, uh, not so much. After all, Porsche gave up that opportunity with the introduction of the Cayenne, a bloated blunderbuss of an SUV that had about as much genuine Porsche innovation in it as a pair of a usuriously-priced Porsche Design sunglasses.

What about the racing heritage thing? Highly unlikely, given that the appeal of racing still needs to be nurtured and developed from the ground up in China. Remember that racing, motorsport and high performance seem to curry little favor with the typical Chinese buyer who associates being driven as the ultimate form of motoring luxury and prestige, as opposed to gripping the wheel of a high-performance sports car.

What exactly will the Porsche brand stand for in China then?

I think we were given a very large clue at the Shanghai auto show this week when Porsche staged the worldwide debut of the first four-door sedan in its history, the Porsche Panamera. As far removed from its founder’s philosophy as you can possibly get – at least without being a truck - the Panamera is an oddly configured sedan with a heightened roof line to allow more room in the back seat so wealthy Chinese owners can be driven around in them. (As a matter of fact, it is said the Wendelin Wiedeking, Porsche’s CEO, had to be able to sit in the back of the Panamera comfortably before the car’s ungainly humpback design would get the green light.)

So amidst the rapid change taking place in the global automotive market today we have another fundamental shift taking place right before our eyes, and it’s just as staggering to contemplate. Porsche, which spent most of the first 60 years of its existence establishing itself as one of the most decorated auto manufacturers in the world and a company responsible for some of the most desirable sports and racing cars ever built - machines that at the company’s peak bristled with its founder’s original vision and philosophy - has begun to reposition itself for this new century in order to exploit the largest automotive market in the world.

The Panamera four-door sedan – or “Four, uncompromised” as Porsche describes it – not only marks the end of the historical legacy that once forged the reputation of Porsche, it’s a blatant repudiation of everything that its founder once stood for. The Porsche that once built its reputation with lithe, lightweight sports cars that ran flawlessly and won countless competition events at racetracks all over the world is now gone forever. You can still get a glimpse of its soul at the company’s new museum in Stuttgart or at an American Le Mans Series race when one of its 911 racers go by, but that’s as far as it goes.

In its place is something that its leader, Wendelin Wideking, likes to refer to as “the most profitable car company in the world.” A mercenary, money-generating machine that can adapt, exploit, pursue and conquer new markets at will with its cynically and blatantly calculated concoction of faux “Porsche-ness,” packaged in increasingly grotesque design statements in order to cater to a buyer who has no clue about what the brand once stood for, let alone care.
It’s a brilliant brand strategy and one sure to pave Porsche’s future roads with gold, as long as hoary concepts like history, integrity and authenticity don’t get it in the way.

We are not only bearing witness to the turmoil that is upending the automotive industry as we once knew it with each passing day - altering its future and this country’s role in it forever - we’re watching a company formerly known for its heritage, its uncompromising vision, and its sheer will for excellence turn its back on its history once and for all. Get ready for the “new” Porsche, ladies and gentlemen. A mad, soulless mishmash of design cues blended together with a dollop of hypocrisy and manufactured emotion thrown in for good measure.

Four, uncompromised?

Hardly.

No, it’s authenticity, simulated.

And a once-glorious company, compromised.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Thanks

Quick Reply: Panamera Pics