Sponsored by:

brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 AM
maniac
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question brake pads

Which type of brake pads do you recommend me for my 996, that will be good in performance for DE, but will not be very noisy for driving on the street.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:29 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Try a search in the DE/racing forum. There is a lot of info on this.

What is your experience level? What tires? Other upgrades?

-td
Old 04-05-2009, 01:24 PM
maniac
Intermediate

Hi Himself,

2nd. time in DE, only modifications are on the suspension (swaybars, springs & shock absorbers), street tires.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:38 PM
george996
Racer

Originally Posted by maniac
Which type of brake pads do you recommend me for my 996, that will be good in performance for DE, but will not be very noisy for driving on the street.
You may like Pagid Sport pads. Nice balance performance vs. noise,etc. I recently put them on all 4 corners and noticed less pedal effort. However, there is a some squeling from one of them. Also, I had to drill holes for the wear indicator sensor.

NEW Pagid "S" or "Sport" - This is a high performance compound with good fading characteristics and high cold friction. The most comfortable medium friction sport compound. The Sport Pad is street legal, rotor friendly and OE on various Ferraris and Corvettes. PAGID "S" Brake Pads are dipped in a anti-corrosion blue paint, with a layer also on the friction surface. This paint coating will disintegrate during the first braking applications without any loss of friction compared to our other non-coated compounds. In addition a majority of the "S" Line come with anti-noise shims. The "S" compound is the PAGID RS 4-2-1.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...6BrakesCarrera
Old 04-05-2009, 04:09 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd be lying if I said the Pagid Yellow Endurance (RS19) don't squeal. It's ridiculous. Although they're more aggressive than normal pads, but less than the outright track Pagid Blacks.

I prefer these to the RS44 Orange ones.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

For occasional DEs stick to street pads. These brakes are so good you don't need to sacrifice rotor life for a little better braking on the track.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:03 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Hi Himself,

2nd. time in DE, only modifications are on the suspension (swaybars, springs & shock absorbers), street tires.
Why do you need new pads? Are the others gone? Are you not stopping fast enough? Are you overheating the brakes?

IMO, the braking system and the tires should be upgraded together. Running an agressive pad with street tires is not a good idea - and likewise, running stock pads with R-comps is not a good idea.

If you have other problems with the brakes, maybe we can assist, but as presented, I can't see any real reason for you to upgrade pads.

-td
Old 04-05-2009, 06:29 PM
maniac
Intermediate

The reason is that on this weekend DE track driving, while in the inspection prior to racing, I was told that I will need to replace my brake pads and resurface the discs if I want to run on the next DE. While at the track, the car was braking perfect without any problem, I also was told that the brakes look OK for street driving.
Apparently they have certain brake pad wear restrictions for racing.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:19 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

The reason is that on this weekend DE track driving, while in the inspection prior to racing, I was told that I will need to replace my brake pads and resurface the discs if I want to run on the next DE. While at the track, the car was braking perfect without any problem, I also was told that the brakes look OK for street driving.
Apparently they have certain brake pad wear restrictions for racing.
IMO, you should replace with OEM parts - perhaps Porsche sport pads. There is no reason to upgrade to track parts at this stages.

And, although you'll be driving fast, it will be far from racing.

-td
Old 04-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Maniac, you're exactly right. There are limits for DE's for rotor thickness and pad life which are above the limits for normal street use. It sounds like you should just replace them with new stock pads.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
IMO, the braking system and the tires should be upgraded together. Running an agressive pad with street tires is not a good idea
Why is a more aggressive pad on street tires, "not a good idea"? I don't see anywhere in the OP post where he suggest he is looking at a full on race pad and I don't see any real problems going to a harder pad with street tires (although I would recommend a brake fluid upgrade with a pad upgrade).

In my experience you can burn through a new set of stock pads in 2-4 days of DE driving depending on the track even with street tires. A more aggressive pad can greatly extend that life.

Maniac make sure you upgrade you brake fluid for DE as I boiled the stock fluid at a DE 6 years ago. FWIW, I use Pagid Blacks on my 986 and I really like these pads but they do exhibit some squeeking noise with street driving. That being said the Blacks are probably a little more aggressive than what you are looking for. I have also used Pagid Orange pads in the past but I would not recommend them as I experienced pronounced pad tranfer with several sets.

Good luck with your search.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:18 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
Why is a more aggressive pad on street tires, "not a good idea"? I don't see anywhere in the OP post where he suggest he is looking at a full on race pad and I don't see any real problems going to a harder pad with street tires (although I would recommend a brake fluid upgrade with a pad upgrade).
I think it is bad advice to advocate upgrading parts to a complete novice. On the track, agressive pads will lock up the tires with less pressure. This makes learning harder and driving harder. The typical novice needs the car to operate correctly and balanced, and has no skill set to fall back on. For an experienced driver, this may not be a concern, but for a 2nd time DEer, I think ANY upgrades to make the car perform better are not a good idea. They won't know anyway -as they have no baseline to compare it to.

2) Track pads are substantially more expensive than street pads, so the OP is wasting money at this point. The OP doesn't need to brake faster, better, harder, modulate better, etc. He needs to learn how to brake, threshhold brake, trail brake, etc., which can be done cheaply with stock parts.

3) When driving on the street, agressive pads are like sandpaper on the rotor, resulting in reduced rotor life. When you are on the track, you have a transfer layer of pad that reduces rotor wear. So you should use track pads on the track - not so much on the street.

4) I think you actually meant softer pad, as a harder one would make braking worse. (Aggressive = softer) Pagid blacks are not harder than pagid yellow.

5) I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are the first ones that popped into my head.

In my experience you can burn through a new set of stock pads in 2-4 days of DE driving depending on the track even with street tires. A more aggressive pad can greatly extend that life.
Try to remember your 2nd DE. You didn't need upgraded parts to go faster. You needed coaching and seat time. IMO, it is a disservice to tell newbies to go out and upgrade brake pads, rotors, tires, suspension, etc etc without understanding WHY they need new parts. The OP stated his car needed new parts to participate, not that he couldn't stop, not that he was eating pads too fast, not that he was overheating. To me, this means he should still be running stock equipment.

Sure, all the track junkies have burned pads in 1 weekend, corded tires, heat cracked rotors, etc. But I haven't ever seen a green student eat a set of pads in their 1st or 2nd time out.

Lastly, there is more to braking than just changing pads. The car is a system, and needs similar parts to perform optimally. At a minimum, when you upgrade brake pads, you need to upgrade tires as well, and (typically) vice versa.

-td
Old 04-06-2009, 04:24 PM
David in VA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second Zookie's recommendation for Porsche sport pads. My wife runs them in the black group with R-compounds and I drive them on the street every day. Not an all out track pad but does both well, especially if you're just starting.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
I think it is bad advice to advocate upgrading parts to a complete novice. On the track, agressive pads will lock up the tires with less pressure. This makes learning harder and driving harder. The typical novice needs the car to operate correctly and balanced, and has no skill set to fall back on. For an experienced driver, this may not be a concern, but for a 2nd time DEer, I think ANY upgrades to make the car perform better are not a good idea. They won't know anyway -as they have no baseline to compare it to.

2) Track pads are substantially more expensive than street pads, so the OP is wasting money at this point. The OP doesn't need to brake faster, better, harder, modulate better, etc. He needs to learn how to brake, threshhold brake, trail brake, etc., which can be done cheaply with stock parts.

3) When driving on the street, agressive pads are like sandpaper on the rotor, resulting in reduced rotor life. When you are on the track, you have a transfer layer of pad that reduces rotor wear. So you should use track pads on the track - not so much on the street.

4) I think you actually meant softer pad, as a harder one would make braking worse. (Aggressive = softer) Pagid blacks are not harder than pagid yellow.

5) I'm sure there are other reasons, but those are the first ones that popped into my head.

Try to remember your 2nd DE. You didn't need upgraded parts to go faster. You needed coaching and seat time. IMO, it is a disservice to tell newbies to go out and upgrade brake pads, rotors, tires, suspension, etc etc without understanding WHY they need new parts. The OP stated his car needed new parts to participate, not that he couldn't stop, not that he was eating pads too fast, not that he was overheating. To me, this means he should still be running stock equipment.

Sure, all the track junkies have burned pads in 1 weekend, corded tires, heat cracked rotors, etc. But I haven't ever seen a green student eat a set of pads in their 1st or 2nd time out.

Lastly, there is more to braking than just changing pads. The car is a system, and needs similar parts to perform optimally. At a minimum, when you upgrade brake pads, you need to upgrade tires as well, and (typically) vice versa.

-td
You're reading a lot into his post that just is not there IMHO. First upgraded pads will cost more, but they'll also last longer.

Second, as he stated he's not looking for a full on track pad, he just wants something that will last longer and not squeal. Such a pad would have minimal impact on rotor life or lockup characteristics. There are plenty of mild pads out there that represent just such an improvement over stock and it seems pretty clear that's what he is looking for.

As I stated, I think it's far more important for him to upgrade the brake fluid with a pad upgrade. This is more important than worrying about running on street tires at this point (and at DE #2 it is too soon to worry about upgrading the rubber).

Sorry, I see a mild pad upgrade as no big deal so I'll agree to disagree.

Quick Reply: brake pads