Sponsored by:

DIY (4)-stalk install??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 02:34 PM
etwd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DIY (4)-stalk install??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anybody have DIY or a link for removing the standard (3)-stalk and installing the (4)-stalk mechanism to utilize the on-board computer functions.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

Search here and in Renntech.org, there is a detailed one out there. Don't have time to find it now, but I will look for it later this evening.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:12 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could also install a dash switch which will cycle through the OBC information.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Daiberl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DFC
You could also install a dash switch which will cycle through the OBC information.
Do you have some more information on this?

Thanks,
- Juergen
Old 04-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Daiberl

Thanks,
- Juergen
Here ya go.... it's a big .PDF

LINK
Old 04-01-2009, 05:51 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daiberl

Thanks,
- Juergen
Juergen, you can add a switch to the dash to cycle through the OBC information, the only drawback is that you cannot set the speed gong unless you add a second switch. Since most do not care about the gong, this is a nice, inexpensive alternative. You have to have the OBC turned on by a PST2 (a dealer can do it in less than 15 minutes), but you would have to do this even if you add the 4 stalk system. The connectors listed were a bit small in the "hack", so I would go a bit larger. If you go this route, I suggest Sunset Imports to order the switch, and most vw dealers have this wire in stock.

Here is more info.

http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...opic=22602&hl=
Old 04-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If your 996 is a 1999, most of the stuff is already there, including a rubber cap over the steering column where the 4th stalk goes. The stalk is vitually the same as a VW part number for same. I had this done to my car a couple years ago by Brumos Porsche (I am a total failure as a driveway mechanic) and it was quick, and not all that expensive. And it sure is nice to have all those extra functions and displays - particularly the MPG readout. Changes your whole daily driving habits.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Long Islander
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I did this when my car was about a year old (with the stalk). It's worth going to the trouble of doing the stolak version rather than the dash button, because everything then looks totally factory. Very cool mod. Not the easiest, though. One bit of advice -- make sure you solder the connections. Do not use crimp connectors or you will regret it at some point.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I did the dash button version on my 2000. No gong (not a big deal) but you also have to work through the functions whereas with the stalk you can go back and forth. Also, the stalk is easier to use, you don't have to reach for the dash button. I have a 4-stalk unit in a box waiting to be put in, but it is on-hold pending the fix of my engine, the dreaded intermix problem.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Daiberl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the links and the information, looks like I have another MOD, will do this avter my vacation
Old 04-01-2009, 11:38 PM
s-spiff
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
If your 996 is a 1999, most of the stuff is already there, including a rubber cap over the steering column where the 4th stalk goes. The stalk is vitually the same as a VW part number for same. I had this done to my car a couple years ago by Brumos Porsche (I am a total failure as a driveway mechanic) and it was quick, and not all that expensive. And it sure is nice to have all those extra functions and displays - particularly the MPG readout. Changes your whole daily driving habits.
Mark,
Do you know which VW model/year is equivalent, or do you have a vw part#?

Quick Reply: DIY (4)-stalk install??