Sponsored by:

KW variant3 & GT3 sways

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:41 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts
Default KW variant3 & GT3 sways

OK, I did the search, but didn't find anything exact. So is here anyone who's using such a combination, and if yes, which droplinks do you use?
Factory std of some kind, there seems to be many different, or aftermarket ones?
The car I bought has KW's, was originally equipped with ROW M030, so I expect to find those sways still. I haven't taken the wheels off yet to check throughly, but when the car was on a lift, I noticed non-adjustable sways with OEM-style ( atleast, most likely OEM ) droplinks.

Will KW's work with GT3 strut top ( front ) mounts, I have those waiting for installation too.

TIA, Pete
Old 04-01-2009, 01:23 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
OK, I did the search, but didn't find anything exact. So is here anyone who's using such a combination, and if yes, which droplinks do you use?
Factory std of some kind, there seems to be many different, or aftermarket ones?
The car I bought has KW's, was originally equipped with ROW M030, so I expect to find those sways still. I haven't taken the wheels off yet to check throughly, but when the car was on a lift, I noticed non-adjustable sways with OEM-style ( atleast, most likely OEM ) droplinks.

Will KW's work with GT3 strut top ( front ) mounts, I have those waiting for installation too.

TIA, Pete
IIRC, installing the KW is the same as any other aftermarket suspsension - so you will still use the factory mounting point for normal sway bar applications. However, the GT3 bar is NOT a bolt on for our cars since we have different wheel carriers. You cannot use the factory drop link mounting location (below spring perch). The typical solution is to use shorter drop links and attach them to the wheel carrier pinch bolt. This has its own issues, and I would not recommend it.

There are 2 solutions: 1, use HR front ARB - which uses the factory drop links. 2, get the NEW Tarret drop links. (I don't think they are listed in the product page yet, so call Ira and ask for them.

-td
Old 04-01-2009, 02:03 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Oh yeah, there's one thing I forgot to mention...I also have GT2 ( or 3, same part ) wheel carriers, which I'm going to install with 6-piston calipers and 350mm discs. How's this going to change things up front, and are there no problems at rear?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:44 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Oh yeah, there's one thing I forgot to mention...I also have GT2 ( or 3, same part ) wheel carriers, which I'm going to install with 6-piston calipers and 350mm discs. How's this going to change things up front, and are there no problems at rear?
You're going to have to get a real guru in on this. I think you might actually need the GT3 version of the KW if you have GT3 wheel carriers. Also, you should be able to use factory drop links if you have the upgraded carriers.

FWIW, why are you putting on the huge front brakes?

-td
Old 04-01-2009, 07:23 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by himself
You're going to have to get a real guru in on this. I think you might actually need the GT3 version of the KW if you have GT3 wheel carriers. Also, you should be able to use factory drop links if you have the upgraded carriers.
This was something I was afraid of...droplink part is OK, but I think I'll send an e-mail to KW about this. OTH I also have Cup car adjustable coilovers too...

FWIW, why are you putting on the huge front brakes?

-td
Because I can....and had them already on my 951.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:42 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brakes under Pete's 951

Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Does any one have pictures of KW installation to a GT3 ? Maybe I'll send a x-post to GT3 forum.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Fissionx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tarret and many other aftermarket drop links mount at the pinch bolt in the front. Otherwise you will need to buy a mounting bracket to attach to the front and rear shock. This is a threaded mount/bracket for the drop link. I purchased mine from Arlan motorsport, which also sells drop links if you want. The KWs may or may not have the mounts included.

http://www.arlanmotorsport.com/motor.../ams/index.asp

I don't know if the GT3 strut mounts will work. You posted in the thread where I installed the gt3 suspension on this car, that's where most of my useful information is...
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...on-996-c2.html
Old 04-02-2009, 02:56 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Fissionx
You posted in the thread where I installed the gt3 suspension on this car, that's where most of my useful information is...
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...on-996-c2.html
Oh yes, I've forgot that. That was when my plan was to buy a std C4. Things changed when I eventually got a C2 with allready upgraded suspension. Thanks!

Pete
Old 04-02-2009, 03:05 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

IIRC, installing the KW is the same as any other aftermarket suspsension - so you will still use the factory mounting point for normal sway bar applications. However, the GT3 bar is NOT a bolt on for our cars since we have different wheel carriers. You cannot use the factory drop link mounting location (below spring perch). The typical solution is to use shorter drop links and attach them to the wheel carrier pinch bolt. This has its own issues, and I would not recommend it.

There are 2 solutions: 1, use HR front ARB - which uses the factory drop links. 2, get the NEW Tarret drop links. (I don't think they are listed in the product page yet, so call Ira and ask for them.

-td
curious, what are the cons of this setup?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:15 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redridge
curious, what are the cons of this setup?
The short links attach to the pinch bolts which will load the sway bar simply by turning the steering wheel. You can test this yourself by lifting your front end, disconnecting one side of your sway bar, and then turning the steering wheel. The sway bar will be loaded simply by turning the wheel - and typically, turning the wheel has no effect on the sway bar at all.

In corners where you are also heavily loading the sway bar, the short link tends to cause suspension geometry changes by pushing/pulling on the respective wheel (which may affect both camber and toe) AND contribute to significant wheel lift as well. As you can see in the pics below, I am getting something like 4" of wheel lift with the short link setup - which could not be dialed out. After switching the links, I can keep all 4 wheels on the ground (most of the time )

Your mileage may vary and your tech guru may think differently, so take it for what it's worth - more internet gibberish. But in my experience, the short drop links are putting a square peg in a round hole so the GT3 bar can work.

-td
Old 04-06-2009, 05:18 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

A slight update to this issue. I might have gotten out of the problem because of those GT3/2 wheel carriers. With those I can use std ( or aftermarket adjustable ) long GT3 droplinks, of course with appropriate brackets. And KW's meant for a C2 do work also with GT3/2 wheel carriers, this info I got from a local source who used similar combination.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:59 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ping Mike Globe. I think he is running that set up.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:02 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

The short links attach to the pinch bolts which will load the sway bar simply by turning the steering wheel. You can test this yourself by lifting your front end, disconnecting one side of your sway bar, and then turning the steering wheel. The sway bar will be loaded simply by turning the wheel - and typically, turning the wheel has no effect on the sway bar at all.

In corners where you are also heavily loading the sway bar, the short link tends to cause suspension geometry changes by pushing/pulling on the respective wheel (which may affect both camber and toe) AND contribute to significant wheel lift as well. As you can see in the pics below, I am getting something like 4" of wheel lift with the short link setup - which could not be dialed out. After switching the links, I can keep all 4 wheels on the ground (most of the time )

Your mileage may vary and your tech guru may think differently, so take it for what it's worth - more internet gibberish. But in my experience, the short drop links are putting a square peg in a round hole so the GT3 bar can work.

-td
thanks... thats very informative.... so what DL are you using?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:42 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Himself, nice and clean looking Mk1. That front bumper looks great.

Quick Reply: KW variant3 & GT3 sways