Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:04 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dgi 07
There is one back there, right where the seam is, you should be able to pop up a small section of carpet, a hidden door if you want to call it that. Underneath it is a loop anchor for the top strap of a car seat.
Thanks, I didn't see a seam back there for mine. Just to clarify, I have a cab, and the anchor point appears to be different vs coupe. Which is likely due to the soft top going where the coupe anchors would be.

I'm out of town, but I'll take pictures of the owners manual and back seat when I get a chance.

Last edited by mrjonger; 07-28-2016 at 04:00 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:40 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

On the subject of back seats, has anyone noticed the seats in the cab are even more straight up and down than in the coupe?

My seats even seem to be more than 90 degrees. Pics I have seen of coupes it looks like the seats are at about 85 degrees - as in, there is a tiny recline to them.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:11 AM
mrjonger
Pro

Originally Posted by Woodman71
On the subject of back seats, has anyone noticed the seats in the cab are even more straight up and down than in the coupe?

My seats even seem to be more than 90 degrees. Pics I have seen of coupes it looks like the seats are at about 85 degrees - as in, there is a tiny recline to them.
The upper back sticks out a bit, so if you scoot your butt all the way in, it's more than 90 degrees...pretty much unbearable. If had to sit back there, I'd put a rolled up towel behind the lower back so your butt is at least in line with your back.

I took out the back seat and the carpeted back behind the seat today, no anchor points for the cab. That area where the manual points has an anchor point is occupied by the pop-up rollbars. I guess the manual was referring to coupes only.

Looks like I'm getting the Porsche Junior Seat or Maxi Cosi Rubi. Can someone please confirm there is very little to no play with these seats when using seat belt only? Thanks in advance!

Edit: the new Porsche Junior Seats looks different from the ones earlier in this thread- seat belt appears to be routed through the back of the seat instead of the front, which makes me think there is going to be too much play. Has anyone used the current version? http://shop4.porsche.com/usa/car/chi...eat-latch.pdds

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mrjonger; 07-30-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:45 PM
mrjonger
Pro

I went to a Porsche Dealership and tried to fit the current junior seat (G1 - toddlers) to 2002 cab (http://shop3.porsche.com/usa/car/chi...eat-latch.pdds). Cliff notes: It fits good and you can buy it if you're ok with some play on one side of the seat (2-4" on the buckle side of the car seat - i.e. center of the car). I'd like to take my daughter into the twisties, so I want something with no play. I'll be ordering a maxi cosi rubi shortly.

Seat Details: The seat belt is channeled completely through the back of the seat - unlike the prior model which has a bar across the front that holds shoulder portion of the seat belt. There are two channels on each side of the seat to accommodate the lap portion and shoulder portion of the belt. There is no special channeling on the buckle side - the shoulder and lap portions converge just like if a person was using it. There is a clasp to keep the shoulder portion of the belt secure on the buckle side, but it is too low to keep the upper part of the seat completely secure.

Without rear seat bottom and back: My wife has reasonable comfort (5'6" - 31" inseam). Seat can be pushed back almost all the way without the baby. Taller passengers could fit comfortably as well, but your toddler may not be able to fully extend his/her legs. Base fits well without the seat bottom, no need for towel or foam. Top of the seat protrudes maybe a few inches above the seatback line - so it maintains pretty good visibility.

With rear seat bottom and back: I would not recommend this if you're planning on transporting both front passenger and kid at the same time ... unless your front passenger is 5' or less. Rear visibility will be compromised significantly by the child seat.

If you're in the LA area - Rusnak Thousand Oaks has two in stock, Newport has one in stock. Suncoast will be ~$80 cheaper ($500), I've read elsewhere that a dealer price matched.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 AM
obscene
Intermediate

so once you have your car seat fitted, how has it been loading baby in and out each day?

does the cybex aton allow for a quick release base or are you threading the seatbelt every morning?
Old 08-25-2016, 11:24 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by obscene
so once you have your car seat fitted, how has it been loading baby in and out each day?

does the cybex aton allow for a quick release base or are you threading the seatbelt every morning?
The Cybex Aton does have a quick release base but if you install it then the seat will sit up too high and take up too much space.

Once you get used to threading it every morning you'll be able to get it done in a couple of seconds.

As for how easy it is to remove - well there might be some minor scuffing on the back of the front seat when removing the carseat. But aside from that it's fairly easy.

Wow how time flies - mine just turned 3 in July so he's in a Maxi Cosi now but it feels like just yesterday when I was hauling him in and out of the back seat of the 996.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:55 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Dunno about you guys but this whole baby in and out thing got real tired, real fast for me. I've maybe used my seats only a handful of times. Otherwise, I actually took my baby in a "family" vehicle. This was going through 3 kids.

Once the kids get into boosters is when it becomes fun again as they can just get in and out themselves. Expecting to do a nice drive next summer with all 3 kids in the vehicle, all on boosters.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:04 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Dunno about you guys but this whole baby in and out thing got real tired, real fast for me. I've maybe used my seats only a handful of times. Otherwise, I actually took my baby in a "family" vehicle. This was going through 3 kids.

Once the kids get into boosters is when it becomes fun again as they can just get in and out themselves. Expecting to do a nice drive next summer with all 3 kids in the vehicle, all on boosters.
It wasn't that big of a deal for me and I got really good at the process after a while. I still wanted to drive my 996 instead of giving it up so this was a good compromise.

Yes it was much easier to put that seat into our SUV but I figured my 996 has those back seats for a reason, right?

Now I do have his forward-facing booster seat back there and it is much more convenient than the baby carrier was.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:31 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Ditto what the others said. Using the seat belt, but most modern car seats have easy 5 point harness that makes things quick, probably about 30 seconds...if that. I used it everyday to drop off my daughter at daycare.

But if I had more than one kid, stiff back, or bad knees...this would get old real fast.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:21 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Quick Update: Got the maxi cosi ruby. It's a great seat and is really snug with just the seat belt. The only downfall is that it is a bit big and doesn't leave very much room for the front passenger...even with the backseat/backrest out. I think the sweet spot for this car is when the kids are big enough to be in booster seats.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:17 AM
cvega666
AutoX

Originally Posted by shearlayer
It is a pain in the *** to get it in the first time but after you figure it out, it goes much better the next time.
Hi there,

I'm a new 996 owner and saw your post. Did you get rid of your seat yet?
I can't really buy it from you since we have them here in the UK, what I'm interested in is did you have to do anything special to the belt buckle in order to fit it ?

Cheers
Old 01-06-2017, 08:28 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Originally Posted by cvega666
Hi there,

I'm a new 996 owner and saw your post. Did you get rid of your seat yet?
I can't really buy it from you since we have them here in the UK, what I'm interested in is did you have to do anything special to the belt buckle in order to fit it ?

Cheers
I have the same seat, I didn't have to do anything to belt buckle. Here's a tip, get a clamp. Take out all the slack out of the belt, clamp the seat belt so it doesn't retract, then wind the seat belt around base and head, buckle the seat belt, remove the clamp.

I used a f-style clamp for woodworking... or just have someone hold the seat belt for you.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:28 PM
DinoSC
Advanced

This is the setup I use for my 3 year old daughter and my 5 year old son on my DD. We did a couple 200 mile road trip the whole family (4 of us!) but I mainly use them to drop or pick up my kids at school and they love it!
Old 01-06-2017, 10:17 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Originally Posted by DinoSC
This is the setup I use for my 3 year old daughter and my 5 year old son on my DD. We did a couple 200 mile road trip the whole family (4 of us!) but I mainly use them to drop or pick up my kids at school and they love it!
Based on the seatbelts, it looks like you have childseat latches. Did you mount some anchors?
Old 01-06-2017, 10:41 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjonger
Based on the seatbelts, it looks like you have childseat latches. Did you mount some anchors?
Those are boosters.

I use a Diono R100 which has a 5 point harness for the toddler. I use the factory seatbelt to secure the seat. I had to remove the seat bottom, but it's a snug fit. Plenty of room for the front passenger.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.