Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014 | 03:39 PM
silvergray951
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996pp
I also found this today which looks like it might fit well but its a little pricey.
Has anyone tried this, and if so any thoughts are much appreciated.
Here is the link
Amazon.com: Clek Foonf 2013 Convertible Child Seat, Drift: Baby
Yes that looks like a possibility - however I have found that its not just size which you need to consider. A critical parameter is the belt path for the seat because the 911's inboard seat belt is unusually far forward and tall. This results in difficulties cinching the seat down (as you cannot tighten the seat belt enough with the top of the belt higher than the seats belt path channel/slot) & the seat will still be able to move too far forward.

FYI, the experiment I performed with the retrobelts seat belt (see earlier post) was unsuccessful because the fixed belt length was too long resulting in buckle crunch when I tightened the best. I'm hoping I will be able to use the Brey Krause mounting points (earlier post) with the latch belts that came with my Diono Radian as a final solution.
I'll also spend sme more time following 'thewheelman' suggestions to use the stock seat belt today.
I'm getting closer :-)
Old 04-13-2014 | 06:58 AM
bcerame
3rd Gear

I have a 2013 991 cab. I've been able to get the Britax Marathon to fit with no modifications and it seems very solid. This does however compromise the room left for the front passenger seat. I utilized the rear seat shoulder\lap belt as well as the LATCH system to secure the seat. $300 at Baby's R' Us, but I think you can find them cheaper online.
Old 05-04-2014 | 12:40 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

I can confirm that the Maxi-Cosi Rubi works well for a toddler seat. The belt system is ingenious and really makes the whole setup viable. The big problem I found is that the lap belt anchors sit too far forward of the belt routing channel on most seats. The Rubi is the only seat I could find that routs the lap belt around the front of the seat base. And the shoulder belt routing is equally secure. I'm going to try removing the seat back to get a couple more inches for the front seat passenger, but even at this point it's a ton better than the infant seat.

Only problem is that it's a PITA to get. Took me about 6-7 weeks for delivery from Switzerland. But it works really well and is obviously a well-made seat. Much better quality than most of the other seats I've seen.
Old 05-04-2014 | 01:33 PM
silvergray951
Instructor

I am using a Diono Radian RXT - thread with details here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-year-old.html
Old 05-13-2014 | 03:42 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

From this thread it appears that the only seats that are fitting well in a 996 without modification is the Porsche Junior and Maxi Cosi Rubi? I appreciate confirmation as there are a number of us with a child that has outgrown the infant seat (I used the cybex) and need to replace in order to drive the summer Porsche. Also, anyone have a newer Junior for sale? Thanks -

Jeremy
Old 05-13-2014 | 09:16 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jeremy
From this thread it appears that the only seats that are fitting well in a 996 without modification is the Porsche Junior and Maxi Cosi Rubi? I appreciate confirmation as there are a number of us with a child that has outgrown the infant seat (I used the cybex) and need to replace in order to drive the summer Porsche. Also, anyone have a newer Junior for sale? Thanks -

Jeremy
They go on sale on ebay and craigslist all the time for around $250-$300.
I bought a second one a month ago so the two rear seats have matching Porsche Junior seats!
Old 05-24-2014 | 08:24 AM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

I have read in other threads that the Porsche seat is a white label version of the Britax Marathon. Given the various ages of these threads - is there a way to determine which model marathon is the same as the Porsche junior?
Old 05-24-2014 | 08:33 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

I have read in other threads that the Porsche seat is a white label version of the Britax Marathon. Given the various ages of these threads - is there a way to determine which model marathon is the same as the Porsche junior?
I don't think so
Romer used to make them
Old 06-04-2014 | 04:57 PM
Fixxxer
Intermediate

Has anyone tried the
Britax Pinnacle Britax Pinnacle
?

Amazon.com : Britax Pinnacle 90 Booster Car Seat, Manhattan : Child Safety Booster Car Seats : Baby Amazon.com : Britax Pinnacle 90 Booster Car Seat, Manhattan : Child Safety Booster Car Seats : Baby
Old 06-05-2014 | 01:44 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Yes, I have one, rear facing in my Cayenne.
It would not fit in my 1972 911 rear facing, I can try later in the forward facing mode.
Old 06-08-2014 | 05:20 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by roadsession
I don't think so
Romer used to make them
Romer also used to make Britax seats. In fact, they still do, because it's the same company. The seats are called "Britax" in the US and UK, "Romer" in Germany, probably most of Europe.
Old 06-08-2014 | 05:43 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

And yes, I'm also looking for something for a kid who has just about outgrown the Cybex Anton.

I'd prefer something that can go in the rear seat AND be rearward facing until he's two. Can the Maxi Cosi Rubi or Porsche Junior do that? (In fact, can the Rubi be rearward facing in any seat? Someone posted above that it can be used in both directions, but according to the Maxi Cosi website, it's a forward facing seat.)

Alternately, instead of a rearward facing seat, a seat that uses a padded cushion instead of a harness would probably be OK - anyone know of any such seat that works in the rear of a 996?

Finally, it seems that most of the top rated seats nowadays only install with Isofix/Latch. (I'm assuming that Isofix and Latch are exactly the same but for the name.) There were one or two posts in this thread about setting up a 996 to work with Isofix/Latch seats, but with no details or conclusions. And also a link to a thread saying the Brey Krause harness mounts work with some Isofix/Latch seats, not others - which does not sound like an ideal solution. Has anyone found a better way?
Old 06-08-2014 | 05:52 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

In case it's helpful, the following seems to get good test results and were either noted as using little space, or at least were not noted as being very big. To my knowledge, all are front facing except the first (hence "2 way"):
Maxi Cosi 2 Way Pearl (Isofix only)
Concord Ultimax 2 (Isofix only)
Kiddy PhoenixFix Pro 2 (pad instead of harness, very safe, very ugly)
Maxi Cosi Priori fix
Chicco Oasis 1 (isofix only)
Romer/Britax Trifix (isofix only)
And the Cybex Sirona looks cool, but I haven't seen test results, I've no idea how big it is, and it's isofix only.
Old 06-12-2014 | 01:22 PM
Mr.Duc
Rennlist Member

good info
Old 10-17-2014 | 01:45 AM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Here is my contribution. I have not tried any of these yet, but Maxi Cosi has a handy tool on their website that purports to help you select car seats to fit 911s from various model years, depending on the size and age of your kiddo.

http://maxicosi.carseatfitting.com/f...en/porsche/911

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.