Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 04:53 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdavis
One last trip with the Cybex Aton - ran into a couple other people with kids around the same age. Each of these three vehicles was occupied by two adults and one baby:
Attachment 814039
I still have people freaking out when they see me pull a car seat out of my car. They just can't fathom that a 911 is capable of carrying a baby...gasp!

My little one just turned 8 months and I notice he smiles when I turn the car on from a cold start. Hopefully I have an enthusiast in the making.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:41 AM
Mhenry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 18mo threw a fit because couldn't go for a ride today. Ha
Old 03-11-2014, 02:35 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

My 3 yr old daughter loves it when I drive the wife's Cayenne S. I push the "sport" button and she grins ear to ear when listening to the exhaust. The other day she said "Dad, when you go fast, it is my favourite!". She likes twisty roads like I do.... I can't wait to put her in a Go-Kart when is old enough for it.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:13 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I just bought this one on ebay for the 2nd child so that we have matching pairs of Porsche Junior seats in the back. Brand new too! http://www.ebay.com/itm/331160617176

I noticed however there's another one for sale - it's a pretty good price - someone ought to snag it quick!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111200480074?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 03-24-2014, 04:15 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ordered a Bubble Bum for the front seat for my 9 year old - she meets the legal requirements. I have the airbag deactivation device. The plan is to move the seat as far back as possible while still retaining seat belt effectiveness.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:36 PM
Caballo Blanco
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I had meant to post this a while back. I was so exhausted from my darn carseat/booster quest that I had lost the will, I guess.

So I needed to fit a child seat (2 year old) and a booster seat (immensely tall 5 year old) into my 911. My personal requirements were that I would not have to remove the base (or any other parts) from any car seat. I wanted it to work bone stock, or back it would go to the store. Your requirements may vary, and more power to you. I have a 997.1, but it's my understanding it has precisely the same backseat dimensions as the 996.

CHILD SEAT:
I wound up with the Maxi Cosi Pria 70 Convertible Car Seat for the 2 year old. Front-facing. (Do what you want, but I would NOT try to squeeze a rear-facing seat in the car. Just put them in the SUV and be done. I digress.) While the Maxi Cosi isn't a 100% perfect fit, it's outstanding for the money (i.e. not spending a gazillion dollars on a Porsche seat). I spent about $271 but it's now going for $213 or so on Amazon.

I'm 6'2" and put the Maxi Cosi behind the driver's seat. I did take the car's seat back and seat bottom out to get the fit. I did not use any towels or the like, and I did notice that the seat was ever so slightly loose; I know that others have used belt-tightening gadgets with some success. I felt it was close enough to be secure and do its job. Your opinion may differ, of course.

I take the seat out of the car when I'm not using it (I don't need to transport my Itty Bitty often), but it's perfectly fine if you leave it in the car and need to recline the driver's seat back a bit for normal driving. However, when she's in the seat, I have to pull my seat forward a LOT, and probably to an unsafe degree. I can only imagine what the airbag would do to me in a crash.

Anyway, this is not an ideal solution, but it does work.

CHILD SEAT FAILURE:
I ordered the RECARO Performance SPORT Combination Harness to Booster, but it just didn't fit. I mean, it wasn't even close. Previous models apparently did fit, but the new model does not. Don't even bother. The base is just far too wide. I was really bummed, because I really liked the seat build, the kid loved it, and the color options are way cool and very Porsche-friendly. I would have tried more seats from other brands, but literally every one of the seats recommended on the threads were discontinued or not available in the US.

BOOSTER SEAT:
Incredibly, the best option I found was the Harmony booster seat that's literally 13 bucks at Wal Mart. I did the mod recommended in the threads where you make the side seatbelt guides slightly more narrow with heat, and it worked great. You give up the head and torso protection of some of the more robust boosters, but my dude is far more comfortable (and further back from the possible passenger seat sandwich) than with say, the RECARO (see below).

BOOSTER SEAT FAILURE:
Heard great things about the RECARO ProBOOSTER High Back Booster Car Seat, but it just didn't work that well. It could have worked in a pinch, but it shoved my (huge) 5 year old forward quite a bit, and in a mishap he would be eating more of his share of the passenger seatback. Cool seat, cool look, but was a bit too tall and ill-fitting to work. I don't know why so many on the threads recommended it, but whatever, they may be OK with a different fit. Seemed very unsafe to my mind.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:17 PM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the detailed post! Do you have any pictures of the maxi mounted in the car, and do you use the car seat belt or a latch system into the factory mounting holes (with eye bolts)? I have a Diono Radian mounted in my 997.1 (seat backs and bottoms removed), but need a second seat for my little guy and am debating whether to switch it up or not.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:37 AM
silvergray951
Instructor

+1 would love to see pics of the Maxi Cosi Pria 70 installed!

FYI, I tried to install a Diono Radian RXT and it fits the space nicely BUT its too loose because the inboard seat belt mounting clip is both too high and forward to restrain the seat adequately. I'd like to hear how others have solved this.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:57 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by silvergray951
+1 would love to see pics of the Maxi Cosi Pria 70 installed! FYI, I tried to install a Diono Radian RXT and it fits the space nicely BUT its too loose because the inboard seat belt mounting clip is both too high and forward to restrain the seat adequately. I'd like to hear how others have solved this.
I bought high density foam and cut/shaped it to fit below the seat and also at the seat back. This helped remove the rocking and generally allowed the seat to compress nicely into position. I bought eye bolts for the factory mounting locations, the same as are used for racing harnesses, but some use the Brey Krause mounts. I then used a belt with latch hooks on the end, and strung it through the rear facing channel on the seat. Because the mounting points are so far "forward" relative to the seat, this channel is more effective than the front facing channel. I also connected the rear tether. It takes some wiggling and manipulation to get it all right, but the seat is rock solid.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:00 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

On another note, I'm considering using the factory seat belt with a belt tensioner/tightener when I install the second seat. I'll have I see how that approach works, otherwise I'll duplicate the first setup.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:47 AM
thewheelman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silvergray951
+1 would love to see pics of the Maxi Cosi Pria 70 installed!

FYI, I tried to install a Diono Radian RXT and it fits the space nicely BUT its too loose because the inboard seat belt mounting clip is both too high and forward to restrain the seat adequately. I'd like to hear how others have solved this.
I had to modify the seat belt latch to allow it to rotate towards the rear of the car.

1. Remove the plastic cover and unbolt the latch.
2. There are two "fingers" that locate it in relation to the stud that retains the plastic cover. Trim the "finger" that sits above the stud, and then bolt the latch back in place, but don't tighten it fully.
3. Rotate the latch towards the rear of the car, and tighten the bolt securely.
4. Replace the cover and install the car seat.

I did this for my Diono Radian RXT, and it's very secure now. It should also work for most other seats as long as the tunnel for the seat belt isn't too low.

-Chris
Old 03-26-2014, 03:22 PM
silvergray951
Instructor

Thanks - great advice and comments. I had experimented with rotating the seat belt latch aft of its normal position with some success, but the seat still moves too much. But it made me think that I could potentially achieve better results using an old fashioned lap belt on the factory mounting points - like this (I noticed someone else mentioned that in an old Rennlist post):

I think the advantage of this is that I will be able to cinch the belt tighter given that the mount points will be well beneath the seat on both the left and right sides. For the record I ordered it here:
http://www.retrobeltusa.com/product-p/2p-xxx-eu60.htm

I'll also try the high density foam for positioning.
I'll update this thread with results.

Regards,
Michael
2004 911 4S

PS - can someone confirm the Brey Krause part number BK-9003? I'd like to hedge my bet on the lap belt by also preparing to use the latch mount system like this chap did:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...hild-seat.html

Last edited by silvergray951; 03-26-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:17 PM
996pp
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I also found this today which looks like it might fit well but its a little pricey.
Has anyone tried this, and if so any thoughts are much appreciated.
Here is the link
Amazon.com: Clek Foonf 2013 Convertible Child Seat, Drift: Baby Amazon.com: Clek Foonf 2013 Convertible Child Seat, Drift: Baby

Last edited by 996pp; 03-28-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:46 AM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

This may be old news, but I just discovered that the 996 has anchor points for tether straps behind the back seats. You have to pull out the Bose box to access them, only two bolts.

Name:  Seat Anchor 2.jpg
Views: 4500
Size:  42.7 KB
Old 03-29-2014, 01:24 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdavis
This may be old news, but I just discovered that the 996 has anchor points for tether straps behind the back seats. You have to pull out the Bose box to access them, only two bolts.
This is old news but for the new guys, porsche has even marked the carpet area with perforations where you can cut into with a blade so it looks nice and neat, not to mention easy to locate.

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.