996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Maserati Project Car is Here

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 04:01 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

What an amazing car! Can we have a hint of what it costs to do a restoration like that? It came out incredible, wow.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really appreciate it. A ballpark estimate on the cost of the restoration is 70-80k with me and my family doing all of the work, except paint and upholstery. We spent hundreds of hours at the paint and upholstery shop doing the unskilled work. We also spent hundreds of hours at home and friends shops rebuilding the suspension, brakes, fuel and electrical systems. The cost would easily double if we paid someone else to do the work.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:50 PM
dmw996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car! I know you are proud of it!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

It looks awesome Mark and as you said, quality time with the family and funding retirement makes it all worthwhile. it's great that your wife continues to be supportive of your projects. I think mine would kill me if I bit of projects like yours.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:34 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I just showed the car (and this thread) to my wife and she loved it. Hard to imagine that you started this project just over 5 years ago.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:19 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Wayne, my wife is a keeper. After you bought that pretty M3 for your wife, I am sure she would tolerate a project car or two. I had the car in a concours about a year and a half ago. The transmission was the hold up on not having the car done back then. Your kids must be getting close to the age where they would enjoy doing a project with dad. I did project cars with all three of my kids, with mixed results. One out of three will be a gear head for life (maybe two). I hope you are still enjoying your white 996.
dmw 996, thanks.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 109 Posts

It's hard to believe it's been five years already. I remember you making this original post. I'm glad to see it was a successful project and you and the family enjoyed the process!

-Shawn
Old 02-18-2014, 12:16 PM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Amazing, absolutely amazing!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Wayne, my wife is a keeper. After you bought that pretty M3 for your wife, I am sure she would tolerate a project car or two. I had the car in a concours about a year and a half ago. The transmission was the hold up on not having the car done back then. Your kids must be getting close to the age where they would enjoy doing a project with dad. I did project cars with all three of my kids, with mixed results. One out of three will be a gear head for life (maybe two). I hope you are still enjoying your white 996.
dmw 996, thanks.
Mark, both cars are still running well. The M3 is a rabid beast that I love to death and my 996 is a aging lady that I still coddle. Hard to imagine she's over 14 years old now and she's been with me for most of her time on the roads. She still looks in showroom condition and turns heads wherever she goes.

I've been window shopping for cars for around 12 months at this point, but am pretty convinced that anything less than a Ferrari 360 would be a downgrade for the garage I have... so until my wife gets tired of me sending her photos of F360s that I'm lusting after and tells me to buy, then I'll continue to window shop. The closest I've gotten to an alternative would be a new Maserati. I've always been a fan of the Quattroporte and from what I saw of the Ghibli at the auto show last weekend that appears to be a nice car also.

My wife is incredibly tolerant of my additions to toys, sadly my wrenching skills do not match up to yours, so I end up buying the finished product, or paying someone else to do the work if the project requires anything more than rudimentary skills. My kids do like it when I'm tinkering around in the garage, so maybe I'll be able to drag them into a project within a couple of years... my son is still a little short on attention spans, but he has helped out on a couple of projects with the 996 and the M3... he's a real gear head in training and is always telling me how he wants to be a race car driver when he grows up. There's hope for that one.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Your project turned out top shelf Mark. If I remember correctly, you sold me a 3 spoke steering wheel for my Porsche just before you started this project. Can it really be 5 years ago? I see you still have your 996 as I do mine. How has your back held up after so much restoration work? Glad to see you posting again on this forum. Congrats on such an extensive restoration, don't be a stranger.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, unbelievable project, it looks amazing. Any shots of the instrumentation? I love the dials from the late 50's and early 60's, not sure I've seen one from a Mas back then.

Cheers,

DS
Old 02-19-2014, 09:04 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Epic restoration! Excellent work Mark.... These classic cars are just awesome, GLWTS.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redridge
Epic restoration! Excellent work Mark.... These classic cars are just awesome, GLWTS.

Wow, this thread is dragging everyone out of the woodwork.

I hope all is well Ferd.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:26 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Shawn, thanks these past years have flown by.

php, thank you.

Wayne, you have a pretty awesome garage with the M3 and 996. The restorations really are not about wrenching skills, they are about persistence. Your background prepared you way better than mine for this sort of thing. Both my boys are in college now. The youngest is set on an engineering degree, the oldest is leaning toward engineering also. I blame the car projects on steering them toward engineering. I couldn't be happier. I did not want them to follow in my footsteps.

Steve, I am glad you are still enjoying your steering wheel. I have missed hanging out here with you guys. My wife and both loved your truck...any plans to replace it? The restoration has been rough on the back. Before I do another car project, we are going to buy our retirement home and it will have a shop with a hoist. Thanks.

DS, thank you. I will post a pic for you.

Ferd, thank you. Didn't you get an air cooled 911 to replace the supercharged 996? My next project will be an air cooled 911.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:37 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Here are the instruments. Sorry, it the best that I have.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Maserati Project Car is Here