Sponsored by:

Erase key memory/seat memory

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:07 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 703 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Erase key memory/seat memory

Every time I press the key to open the car 2003 996 C4s the seat moves to a position I can't used and I am getting in and pushing memory button to get seat in my preferred position to drive. How do I cancel out the memory of the key /seat upon opening position, followed the manual with no luck in erasing memory on key or seat??? Any help appreciated. Amaxing....I can replace a clutch, but have amental block on this memory seat thing or something....I can double hit key opener and it stops the seat from moving, but still have to readjust...............thanks again.........
Old 12-03-2008, 07:09 PM
davedelatte
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat, I cannot get my seat to respond to the instructions listed in the manual either on my 996tt. Are you able to set any of the numbers as positions? Maybe my entire mechanism is not operating properly.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:46 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Every time I press the key to open the car 2003 996 C4s the seat moves to a position I can't used and I am getting in and pushing memory button to get seat in my preferred position to drive. How do I cancel out the memory of the key /seat upon opening position, followed the manual with no luck in erasing memory on key or seat??? Any help appreciated. Amaxing....I can replace a clutch, but have amental block on this memory seat thing or something....I can double hit key opener and it stops the seat from moving, but still have to readjust...............thanks again.........
Sounds like your key is programmed to a different setting (you have 2 memory settings for 2 keys). Have you tried to reprogram both memory locations with the same seat position?

If you have, well, I got nothing else.

-td
Old 12-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm in the same frustrating boat. If anyone solves this please post it up.
The following users liked this post:
cjmahone66 (07-21-2019)
Old 12-03-2008, 11:52 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I shouild demand that you RTFM! but I like easy fixes.

According to the owner's manual, to clear the seat memory:

1. Switch the ignition on with the desired key
2. Simultaneously press the "key" button and "2" button for at least 5 seconds.

The buttons referred to on the seat memory control panel.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:04 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Reading the manual probably won't help. This is a common problem with the 996. Either the keys are not programmed correctly, or the memory control module under the seat is faulty. I bought a brand new key from the Porshe dealership, and they can't program it to work right. Same issues as above, except mine is worse, the seat goes all the way back and seatback goes all the way down! Dealership blames a faulty memory control module which costs about $1000 plus labor. AND...there's NO guarantee that it will solve the problem.....I still have the key as a spare, can't use it on a daily basis.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:42 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
Reading the manual probably won't help. This is a common problem with the 996. Either the keys are not programmed correctly, or the memory control module under the seat is faulty. I bought a brand new key from the Porshe dealership, and they can't program it to work right. Same issues as above, except mine is worse, the seat goes all the way back and seatback goes all the way down! Dealership blames a faulty memory control module which costs about $1000 plus labor. AND...there's NO guarantee that it will solve the problem.....I still have the key as a spare, can't use it on a daily basis.
Cos, you have the SGO (Single Guys Only) option on your car. You let your girl friend sit in the driver's seat and then tell her, "Yup, Porsche thought of everything!"
Old 12-04-2008, 02:00 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gota911
Cos, you have the SGO (Single Guys Only) option on your car. You let your girl friend sit in the driver's seat and then tell her, "Yup, Porsche thought of everything!"
You dirty ol' man...........actually someone made that comment already one day when it did that, "oh boy, look...it's ready for action!"
Old 12-04-2008, 03:10 PM
tnj100
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Same problem here - I've tried to reprogram exactly to the manual's instructions and every other way in between, still nothing. Thankfully, I have a spare key that doesn't have a positioned memorized.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:25 PM
davedelatte
Intermediate

I could not program any of the memory buttons (M, key, 1, or 2) as well as the annoying position with the keyless so I decided to take this apart from the door sil. I found that the little clip was unhooked and now everything works 100%. I was even able to program it to my key! It takes two seconds to check so its worth a shot. Just pull straight up on the module with the memory buttons and look at the tiny clip that plugs into the seat memory.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:15 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by davedelatte
I could not program any of the memory buttons (M, key, 1, or 2) as well as the annoying position with the keyless so I decided to take this apart from the door sil. I found that the little clip was unhooked and now everything works 100%. I was even able to program it to my key! It takes two seconds to check so its worth a shot. Just pull straight up on the module with the memory buttons and look at the tiny clip that plugs into the seat memory.

Nice catch! Thanks for reporting back. Hopefully it will help some of the other guys, too.

Now if my Honda memory seat stops working I will know....... oh wait....... it doesn't have memory seats! OK, that is one more reason I hate this !#$%^&* car!

Last edited by gota911; 12-17-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:00 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Tim, that is exactly the problem with Honda, they are really behind in the "hi-tech" stuff...you know, little stuff like bluetooth, memory seats, digital compass, ext. temp...etc. You either need to have the top of the line model with Navi, OR, they are not an option at all. When comparing between different makes of vehicles, there are actually people who would make a decision on which vehicle to buy based on the availability of bluetooth alone as the deciding factor.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:36 PM
stjpark99
4th Gear

Since I am the only one that drives, I ended up taking out fuse for the power seat. I would rather have the seats stationary then have to adjust the memory seat every time I get into the car. Its been 2 years and still have not needed to put the fuse back in...
Old 12-17-2010, 04:36 PM
xiaohu2009oct18
4th Gear

same here
Old 12-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davedelatte
Yah finding that clip was off is a great find and probably more than half of the troubled persons have the same clip off theirs.

Gota911 the honda's are one size fits all so you don't need the fancy seats

Quick Reply: Erase key memory/seat memory