996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Erase key memory/seat memory

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:50 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

You will have to get the dealer to reprogram the keys. I went through this with mine. You need to have both keys and the code tags. More than likely they will have to blow away ALL keys and settings. So remind them to program the doors to lock automatically if you like that feature.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by function12
You will have to get the dealer to reprogram the keys. I went through this with mine. You need to have both keys and the code tags. More than likely they will have to blow away ALL keys and settings. So remind them to program the doors to lock automatically if you like that feature.
Auto locking the doors is spooky since leaving the key in the car during filling up and other things like taking groceries in would suck very much.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:33 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

It only locks once the car is going past 5 mph. You leave your keys in your car here in Houston it will no longer be your car.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:15 PM
terry9862002
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
Reading the manual probably won't help. This is a common problem with the 996. Either the keys are not programmed correctly, or the memory control module under the seat is faulty. I bought a brand new key from the Porshe dealership, and they can't program it to work right. Same issues as above, except mine is worse, the seat goes all the way back and seatback goes all the way down! Dealership blames a faulty memory control module which costs about $1000 plus labor. AND...there's NO guarantee that it will solve the problem.....I still have the key as a spare, can't use it on a daily basis.

my seat goes all the way front and up!
still do not know how to fix it yet...
Old 03-10-2011, 06:41 PM
liem1997
3rd Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I actually got the Porsche mechanic to demonstrate this fix for me at the Porsche dealership. It is very easy to do, and it is not in the manual. Here is what he did (which I'd used the same procedure to program my seat memory to the key FOB several times now):

(1) Turn the engine on with the key FOB you want to program.
(2) Move the seat and mirrors to the desired position
(3) Press the "M" button and hold it down
(4) While holding the "M" button down, press the "key" button, then release the "key" button without releasing the "M" button
(5) While still holding the "M" button down, press the "1" button to program it to "1"
(6) Release both the "1" button and the "M" button at the same time

That's it. If you want to program your key to the "2" position, just repeat the procedure and push the "2" button instead of the "1" button.

Last edited by liem1997; 03-10-2011 at 11:55 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by liem1997:
Beth02CarreraC2 (08-28-2019), dimetime (09-13-2023), eturk001 (11-09-2022), RIP Bob (09-13-2023), Sscottbutler (08-23-2023), Tricky54 (12-26-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-10-2011, 07:38 PM
liem1997
3rd Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

test

Last edited by liem1997; 03-10-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:08 AM
GaFFLe
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by liem1997
I actually got the Porsche mechanic to demonstrate this fix for me at the Porsche dealership. It is very easy to do, and it is not in the manual. Here is what he did (which I'd used the same procedure to program my seat memory to the key FOB several times now):

(4) While holding the "M" button down, press the "key" button, then release the "key" button without releasing the "M" button
(5) While still holding the "M" button down, press the "1" button to program it to "1"

That's it. If you want to program your key to the "2" position, just repeat the procedure and push the "2" button instead of the "1" button.
The most concise (and correct) seat programming directions I've read on the web so far. Thank you!

Last edited by GaFFLe; 09-27-2011 at 08:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tricky54 (12-26-2023)
Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 PM
GOTSPD2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been searching the forums for a fix for this issue and I've tried everything I could find. When I unlock the door with the remote (and I only have one), the seat slides too far forward. It doesn't correspond to a memory position (1, 2 or 3).

I read this post quoted below with interest in that it says press the "key" button. In my memory seat button, there is no key button, so are you suggesting the key button on the fob or dash?

Old 02-02-2014, 08:40 PM
tokyopav
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So your seat control doesn't look like this?

Name:  image-585323426.jpg
Views: 8306
Size:  239.1 KB
Old 02-02-2014, 09:03 PM
GOTSPD2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, it has M, 1, 2, and 3. No key...
Old 02-02-2014, 11:32 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tried the instructions above to no avail. I was able to change the location of the seat when pushing the Key button, but the seat still moves up when I unlock the car with my spare key. Guess I'll just live with it, not a big deal since it's my spare key.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:29 PM
Coloradocurt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CJWessing
Tried the instructions above to no avail. I was able to change the location of the seat when pushing the Key button, but the seat still moves up when I unlock the car with my spare key. Guess I'll just live with it, not a big deal since it's my spare key.
Same here, and it's my only key! No Joy!!
Old 12-25-2014, 11:33 AM
2011guardsredcay
Intermediate

Thanks for posting those directions! We got our 2011 let week and could not set the seat memory to reset to #2 key, when unlocked with the key remote, although it would reset with the door button. Your directions worked. Just to be even more direct, you have to press door button #1, the one that also has an image of a "key" on it and then "2" door button. The Owners Manual is totally useless for this step.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:26 AM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CJWessing
Yep, I have the same problem too. But, I have one key which programs correctly and works properly when I unlock the car with it. I have a second key, which when I program it and use it to unlock the car, the seat moves to some other position.

My belief is, the previous owner lost a key and acquired a new one and when it was programmed to the cars somehow the memory position for the remote is different than the key pill and therefore the key position saved when programming the key (which I think uses the key pill to refer to the key) is different than what is retrieved when the remote is used.

This is all an assumption on my part, but I have been unable to get my second key to work and it is the same problem as you're having.
The following users liked this post:
Chuckben (12-27-2023)
Old 08-06-2015, 05:54 AM
tophebboy
AutoX

Originally Posted by davedelatte
I could not program any of the memory buttons (M, key, 1, or 2) as well as the annoying position with the keyless so I decided to take this apart from the door sil. I found that the little clip was unhooked and now everything works 100%. I was even able to program it to my key! It takes two seconds to check so its worth a shot. Just pull straight up on the module with the memory buttons and look at the tiny clip that plugs into the seat memory.
Hi! I have exactly the same problem. I took apart the door sil too but couldn't find what could be unhooked. By any chance, do you have any picture of this famous clip ?

Quick Reply: Erase key memory/seat memory