Sponsored by:

DE Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:37 PM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DE Questions

I've asked my Porsche friends locally, but I still feel compelled to ask these two questions of my fellow Rennlisters - no offense Cary/Apex guys. I'm going to a DE at VIR in a couple weeks. Here are the questions:

- If a vinyl bra works on the road without damaging the paint, would it be OK to use it at the track for my first DE experience? Friends tell me it could flap in the wind and cause paint damage. I've hit 100+ mph in my car before and never had any damage associated with the bra. Why would it happen at the track?

- Should I invest in a tinted lens for my helmet for the DE? The ones that fit my Pyrotect helmet aren't UV protected, so would it really help? Does anyone just use sunglasses? Feels dumb to ask.

- Does anyone know of NC track insurance? Is it necessary for my first DE?

Bob
Old 11-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Fissionx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say no bra. If you are paranoid you can use painters tape on the front bumper. Many 996 owners, myself included, use no protection and don't have real issues with chips. VIR is not known for stone chips. I have also heard the vinyl bra disturbs front aero.

I prefer tinted visor over a clear visor and sunglasses. Many people prefer sunglasses since they don't like to drive with the visor down and fog up the visor. Call is yours

Who is the event organizer? Motorsportreg offers some sort of track insurance now. You can purchase it with your track event, read through it carefully and decide for your self. There is also a recent thread on this topic. Personally I have never purchases supplemental track insurance, and last time I spoke to my state farm agent 1.5 years ago, DEs were covered...

Which event is it? My next event is VIR full, nov 17-18 with trackdaze.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:39 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

From what I understand, safety studies indicate that you're better off with the visor down if the airbag deploys. For that reason, I highly recommend keeping the visor down. The decision to go with a clear visor + sunglasses or a tinted visor is a matter of personal preference. Actually, the clear lens + sunglass option provides more flexibility. You can wear sunglasses on sunny days, use lighter sunglasses on days with overcast, or go with no sunglasses at all. If you go with the tinted visor, you're prety much stuck with that option.... unless you change visors again.

My $0.02

Last edited by LiveNupe; 11-04-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:59 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks!

Your advice is consistent with my local Porsche friends. So, no vinyl bra - just wanted to be sure. I'll probably try the clear plastic from Home Depot that is used to protect carpets from contracting work.

Also, I'll go with sunglasses and clear visor.

As for insurance, I'll check out the motorsportreg lead provided.

The event is the Carolinas PCA DE Nov 21-23. It's my first DE.

I'm getting a tech inspection this week, changing the oil on Saturday, and putting together a cooler and other incidentals over the next few days. Should be fun - I've waited a long time to do this.

Bob
Old 11-04-2008, 02:45 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

put the bra on... you can always take it off. If the bra is on tight and doesnt make the car run hotter, why not? the bra protects your car pretty good and the blue tape that people put on looks silly. I would try it out... if it doesnt work out for you, take it off.

Sunglasses is fine... good eye protection as well.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:30 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

you're gonna get a million opnions on this stuff. Protect the car if you've **** about it. Owning a detailing business I used to be very **** bout my cars at the track...yes I was the guy with THAT MUCH blue tape on his car and I found that as long as you're not slow nobody will give you a hard time about it (at least not to your face since you just passed them ) I eventually got past that phase and only tape on tracks where I know there to be issues with flying debris now.

I personally wear a tinted visor. I'm not big on sunglasses in the first place and really dislike wearing them in conjunction with a helmet. Always bring the clear visor just in case it's not sunny.

Andy
Old 11-04-2008, 09:30 AM
RoadWarrior19
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rotokim
... no offense Cary/Apex guys ...
I'm hurt

Bob, track insurance has been discussed a few times recently so you can find some additional perspective here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/461552-ny-times-article-on-car-insurance-at-the-track.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/461641-ny-times-insurance-coverage-at-the-track.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/440809-anyone-track-their-car-without-insurance.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/450586-insurance-coverage-denied-if-any-autocross-activity.html

Since it's your first track event, I'd go with the sunglasses approach this time. If you decide that you want to participate in more events in the future, then consider buying the tinted visor.

I'm sure you'll have a great time at the track! See you Saturday.

Michael
Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Xpel on my headlights. The 40 mil film is thick, about 10 sheets of paper.

If you are really want to use a vinyl bra but are afraid of scuff marks here's an idea: have a clear bra installed over the paint, then wear a vinyl bra over the clear bra. Sort of like wearing a belt and suspenders.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:19 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I've seen folks run with the bra on and then use painters tape to hold it against the car to prevent flapping. I personally would run something on the front of a daily driver, be it a clear bra, vinyl bra, or blue tape.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Get a clear bra, prettier and never harms paint. I would not use a strap on bra at a DE. In fact I would not use a strap on at all.

There is no reason to wear a visor in a closed car. If glare is an issue, sun glasses are fine. Visor down is hot and uncomfortable - not to mention the possibility of fogging.

Enjoy!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:52 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Should I invest in a tinted lens for my helmet for the DE?

Does anyone just use sunglasses?

Is it necessary for my first DE?
No. Yes. I hope not.

The first DE is the most memorable, but definitely not the most fun. Just make sure you upgrade your suspension, get new rims and put on R-comps, install a roll bar, upgrade pads and possibly rotors/calipers, put on stainless steel brake lines with high temp fluid, buy GT3 brake duct thingys, get racing seats and harnesses, put in a 3rd radiator, install an underdrive pulley, take out the carpet and rear seats, upgrade body kit with a fixed wing, and install a camera - before you do your first DE.

Well, maybe not your first DE - but there's the list for later.

-td
Old 11-04-2008, 04:01 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a Pyrotect helmet with 2 visors: one clear and one tinted. Swapping is pretty easy at the track using a dime/penny as a screwdriver. I find sunglasses uncomfortable under a helmet particularly if I'm using a helmet intercom earpiece with an instructor. No problem with fogging since the vents on the helmet work quite well especially with the driver's window down anyway.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Jeez, Redridge. It's his first DE,man. Give the guy a break.

I personally would NEVER use a bra. The damage from a bra is over a length of time. Sort of a gentle rubbing that eventually rubs off the clear coat and then the paint. Anyway, it looks ugly, IMHO. I don't use anything for the track. You'll get more rock chips driving on the street than you will on the track.

I get claustrophobic with a full face helmet, let alone one with the visor down. I use an open face helmet (yeah, yeah, I know), and use sunglasses if and when it's really glaring. Just bring the helmet you already have, and a good set of polarized sunglasses. You'll look way cool on and off the track . Don't forget to bring a cool hat or cap as well, 'cuz your hair will look way uncool when you take the helmet off.

Track insurance? Naah. It's your first DE. Track speed and rules for the novice plus the instructor will almost guarantee nothing bad will happen to you or your car. Just go out there and have a blast. After you've been out several events, gone up the ranks and ready to experiment beyond the basics, then maybe think about it.

Don't over think your first DE. You've got the right car, now just go out there and ENJOY!! BTW, welcome to my addiction .
Old 11-04-2008, 04:52 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Jeez, Redridge. It's his first DE,man. Give the guy a break.
Dude, he asked for opinions... I gave him mine. What did I say in my post to hint of harassment?

I assume he has a bra already... why not use it for DE? It takes 10-15min to put it on. If he doesnt like it after a session, take it off as I suggested (takes 5 min to take it off).
I know that bras can be harmful if you are lazy of its use... but if they are used properly...(clean, dry and for short use) they are very effective. Again just my .02.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Arena996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another quick tip... when you change the oil have it left in the middle to lower side of the dipstick. Do not top it off or you will end up with a mosquito fogger on the track. I've seen it plenty of times. You can always top it back off after the DE for regular daily use, but for high rpm use you won't want it all the way at the top.
JIM

Quick Reply: DE Questions