Sponsored by:

DE Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
In fact I would not use a strap on at all.
Oh this thread could take a turn like no other
Old 11-04-2008, 06:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rotokim
I've asked my Porsche friends locally, but I still feel compelled to ask these two questions of my fellow Rennlisters - no offense Cary/Apex guys. I'm going to a DE at VIR in a couple weeks. Here are the questions:

- If a vinyl bra works on the road without damaging the paint, would it be OK to use it at the track for my first DE experience? Friends tell me it could flap in the wind and cause paint damage. I've hit 100+ mph in my car before and never had any damage associated with the bra. Why would it happen at the track?

- Should I invest in a tinted lens for my helmet for the DE? The ones that fit my Pyrotect helmet aren't UV protected, so would it really help? Does anyone just use sunglasses? Feels dumb to ask.

- Does anyone know of NC track insurance? Is it necessary for my first DE?

Bob
Let's chat when you come over to the house on Sat for the coffee crew tech session. Trust me on this when I tell you I have been through EVERY iteration. As long as you show up with a car, a tank of gas, and a good attitude, you will be fine. There is SO MUCH to take in during a first DE.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Arena996
Another quick tip... when you change the oil have it left in the middle to lower side of the dipstick. Do not top it off or you will end up with a mosquito fogger on the track. I've seen it plenty of times. You can always top it back off after the DE for regular daily use, but for high rpm use you won't want it all the way at the top.
JIM
perfect, oil starvation suggestions.

If anything, you want to slightly OVERFILL the m96 motor for a track day.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
As long as you show up with a car, a tank of gas, and a good attitude, you will be fine. There is SO MUCH to take in during a first DE.
Best advice yet. Well, maybe two tanks of gas .
Old 11-04-2008, 06:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

2 tanks would be more accurate

....by the way, Bob, when are you heading to VIR? Friday or Sat?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:28 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, Dell. I'll be there with Rich and Charles on Friday. Are you thinking it may be a good time to have a beer, perhaps?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:30 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

"A" beer? That's it? Just "A" beer? LOL!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:34 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Redridge, no offense taken.

Andy, did I see your car at Parade in Charlotte? If not, I only found only one mk1 aero and it looked exactly like yours - absolutely beautiful and perfectly detailed for the concours.

Bob
Old 11-05-2008, 09:57 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rotokim
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Redridge, no offense taken.

Andy, did I see your car at Parade in Charlotte? If not, I only found only one mk1 aero and it looked exactly like yours - absolutely beautiful and perfectly detailed for the concours.

Bob
Bob...nope not mine. If you saw the ride height of mine in person you'd instantly be able to tell it apart from the rest of the crowd. However it's funny you say that as I even get that here in town. I have a client who's car I detail probably more often than mine that's exactly like mine and always at all of the local car shows. People magically see my car all the time in places that I"m not present!

Enjoy your DE...you're gonna have a blast.

Andy
Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena996
Another quick tip... when you change the oil have it left in the middle to lower side of the dipstick. Do not top it off or you will end up with a mosquito fogger on the track. I've seen it plenty of times. You can always top it back off after the DE for regular daily use, but for high rpm use you won't want it all the way at the top.
JIM
perfect, oil starvation suggestions.

If anything, you want to slightly OVERFILL the m96 motor for a track day.
May as well throw a third opinion out there.

I would not "over" or "under" fill your oil. Rather, I recommend you fill it to the normal level.

As a first time DE'r on street tires I can't think of a single reason you'd want to go outside the recommended Porsche fill.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad you're doing this. I will be instructing there on the 17th and 18th. You're welcome to come by for a few hot laps from the passenger seat. I recommend you try that to take some of the heat off your first session, as there's lots to take in, which brings me to my next tip, simply don't try too hard and try to be comfortable.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:52 PM
BillJ
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

VIR as your first DE is awesome - fantastic track and one of the best in the country. Elevation changes, decreasing and increasing turns, and the uphill esses to boot. You are a lucky man.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ray S
May as well throw a third opinion out there.

I would not "over" or "under" fill your oil. Rather, I recommend you fill it to the normal level.

As a first time DE'r on street tires I can't think of a single reason you'd want to go outside the recommended Porsche fill.
Let me clarify "slightly overfill". If normal is BETWEEN the two arrows, I would add oil to bring it to the top arrow. Regardless, running BELOW normal is not wise.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Let me clarify "slightly overfill". If normal is BETWEEN the two arrows, I would add oil to bring it to the top arrow. Regardless, running BELOW normal is not wise.
Gotcha.....that's technically not an overfill so you had me confused.

I'd agree with you then.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Arena996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And let me also clarify. I have seen cars, and there are posts here about being on the top of the fill level that smoke profusely during DE's. I am not suggesting to underfill. I am saying that there is a low fill level and a top fill level. Just stay below the top fill level. If this is his first DE I cannot imagine he will be running so hard as to cause oil starvation from these levels. For many oil change places a normal oil fill to them means putting it at the top of the stick, not knowing that with Porsche it is acceptable to be between the marks. Most shops would look at being between the marks as being low. I would hate to see a fun day of DE being ruined by being black flagged for smoking (not to mention the embarrasement).

Quick Reply: DE Questions