Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance coverage denied if ANY autocross activity?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Insurance coverage denied if ANY autocross activity?!?

I've searched the forums and found many threads on insurance, but none that cover this particular issue. I have recently changed jobs, and my new firm requires a personal umbrella policy for liablility. As my current auto policy is with USAA, I called them to inquire about adding an umbrella policy. For some reason, one of the questions asked was if I race my car. Not realizing the repercussions I mentioned I am considering joining PCA and doing autocross (though I haven't as yet ever done it). This seemed to get the alarm bells sounding, and I was transferred to an underwriter who stated that ANY timed activity in the car is considered racing (including autocross) and that if I was found to participate in autocross in any way my auto coverage policy would be revoked. Unfortunately, this has the added effect that my umbrella policy would then also be revoked as the umbrella coverage requires the auto coverage be maintained concurrently.

Have any of you run into this issue? Are there any mainstream insurance agencies who are a little more lenient on allowing their customers to autocross? I could understand if I was just told they wouldn't cover my car for any damages incurred while autocrossing, but to flat out tell me they would drop my policy was very surprising.

I guess the easiest thing to do would be to lie and say I'm not participating in any track events, but I don't feel comfortable doing that and won't lie. So do I have any options, or is my future career as an autocrosser going to be prohibited by the insurance companies?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

I've never run into this issue before even with USAA. But then, I don't routinely autocross like I used to. To be absolutely covered you should contact a separate underwriter to give you additional coverage for specific events and dates so that USAA can be assured that you're not exposing what they think they are insuring for,--a nice benign, street driver.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I've never run into this issue before even with USAA. But then, I don't routinely autocross like I used to. To be absolutely covered you should contact a separate underwriter to give you additional coverage for specific events and dates so that USAA can be assured that you're not exposing what they think they are insuring for,--a nice benign, street driver.
The problem is if I even hint to USAA that my car sets one tire on an autocross track they'll drop me. I asked if I could purchase supplemental insurance either through USAA or an outside company, and they told me that it wouldn't matter; I'd still be dropped.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:17 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

See this thread for additional insight:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/185354-warning-to-porsche-s-under-warranty.html
Old 08-25-2008, 10:22 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I did approach USAA about autocross and track insurance and they said it was not covered. A friend of mine who also has USAA crashed his 911 on the track and they paid the 5K $ claim ("one time only").

I decided years ago, to keep track / autocross insurance completely separately for any potential liabilities.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Have any of you been asked if you autocross/track point blank by your insurance carriers? What did you say?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

USAA paid my GT3 total out. I told them I never raced, was preparing to race nor auto crossed, I was able to send them the schedule which showed classroom time!!! They agreed it was a driver's ed event, and they paid.

Wasn't too long after that they stated that no event at any track was covered, even in the garage. I'd suppose that would include auto cross as it is a timed event to determine a winner!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by rdstemler
USAA paid my GT3 total out. I told them I never raced, was preparing to race nor auto crossed, I was able to send them the schedule which showed classroom time!!! They agreed it was a driver's ed event, and they paid.

Wasn't too long after that they stated that no event at any track was covered, even in the garage. I'd suppose that would include auto cross as it is a timed event to determine a winner!!!
So you ruined it for everyone! j/k
Old 08-26-2008, 09:22 PM
rfedele
Racer

Most carriers have exclusions for "track" activity, but I haven't heard of canceling a policy over it.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm thinking this has something to do with the insurances rules of the state you live in. I also have USAA here in Texas and although there is language in my policy to exclude pretty much anything that happens when my car is on track regardless of why it's there, they never asked me a word about competitive driving when I got my umbrella liability policy. Lots of questions about if I ran a home business, did any daycare, and a few other odd questions. But nothing about my driving habits.

I also don't recall the policy being tied to my auto policy, besides the language that this is a supplement to any policies I may have. Basically this kicks in after my other insurance has been exceeded.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:19 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

I wrote an article on this subject but it is old now. I am in Florida and I looked at about 10 insurers and Chubb came to the top. You must look over the policy in your state. I sat with a regional manager of Chubb and told her just what a DE is all about. They insured me as well as others in our region. They will not cover a timed event.

Those you should look at are State Farm, Safeco, Progressive and Geico.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Circe
Advanced

Laertes,
As your dad told you years ago, honesty is the best policy. I applaud those who tell the truth, the whole truth. Better know up front whether you have coverage than to battle it out later with a substantial claim pending.

Recommend you contact an independent insurance agent in your area. Explain to the agent what the auto cross entails, and ask if they represent any excess/surplus lines insurance companies that can provide a policy for you for both 1st party claims (physical damage to your beloved 911) and 3rd party claims (the injury lawsuit you will face for running someone over when your car swings wide as you try to capture the best time of the afternoon). Or, in the alternative, if they know of and can recommend any other agents that do. In theory, those companies should be able to tailor a policy for your needs. Take care not to misstate any material fact especially in describing the auto cross, DE, or track event in which you wish to participate.

Good luck
Old 08-28-2008, 02:00 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How likely is damage in an autocross event? My brother was saying it's a pretty negligible risk, so arguably I could "self-insure" for the risk, if the risk isn't that great.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Laertes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997, esq
How likely is damage in an autocross event? My brother was saying it's a pretty negligible risk, so arguably I could "self-insure" for the risk, if the risk isn't that great.
Yeah, the liklihood of major damage is pretty low, and the liklihood of liability due to damaging somebody else's equipment (or person) is even lower. So I'm comfortable with that.

The problem is if I autocross, and if USAA asks me if I am autocrossing (and I will tell the truth), USAA will drop me completely and I'll have to go elsewhere for my insurance coverage.

So, I guess the real question here is: Are there any insurance companies who are comfortable with autocrossing? They don't necessarily have to cover it, they just can't drop me if I do it and assume my own risk or purchase supplemental insurance.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:24 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems strange that they'd pull your insurance, as opposed to just not covering any damages while at the autocross. I'd call back and ask to speak to someone who can read the details of the policy to you. Based on the discussions I've had with my agent, I wouldn't trust them with explaining any policy information to me.

Quick Reply: Insurance coverage denied if ANY autocross activity?!?