Sponsored by:

Battery low, hard restart after long drives

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:24 AM
techchallenged
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery low, hard restart after long drives

New to this list. Just purchased my first water cooled Porsche, a '99 C2 Cab. When I first got the car home, after about 20 miles of spirited driving, I returned to the car and starter was very slow to turn over. After about three attempts, the car finally started. The starter cranked more after each attempt. I inquired of my mechanic, who had arranged the purchase and had been driving the car for several days. He stated he never noticed this problem, and that he feels the older 996's seem to crank slower than other models. He said if it continues, he will look into replacing the battery or check the alternator. Until yesterday, about two weeks later, I had not experienced this problem again, but have only taken short drives to the office. Yesterday, I drove approximately 130 miles to PCA Octoberfast. I arrived and parked the car to await the finishing laps of the race. I was out of the car maybe 15 minutes and got back in to move the car. It sounded as if it was completely dead. The second attempt at turning the key, it cranked but did not start. On the third attempt is was slow but cranked up. I parked the car for the day. When I returned to leave that evening, it started right up. I drove home last night with the lights on and all equipment running and everything worked flawlessly. I went back out after about 20 or 30 minutes and the car started right up. If this matters, the battery gauge is normally between 12 and 14. What do you make of this? Has anyone else experienced the same? Any help would be appreciated, as I go to racing school on Friday. With the hot driving, I don't want to experience the same. I will be taking to the mechanic this week. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:30 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts

you need a new battery; doesn't look like it's holding a charge anymore. Take it out and bring it to Autozone or some other place like it and have them test it. They'll tell you in few minutes whether it's good or not.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:13 AM
aviatorX
Intermediate

And by all means, DO NOT waste your money on a Porsche battery. I have made that mistake in the past. The last one made it less than 2 years! Yes, I use a battery maintainer.

I recommend the Interstate Battery #MTP-H7. This is the DIRECT replacement in terms of size and location of the vent hose attachment point. You will NOT need the vent hose adapter kit. It uses one of the existing clamp points on the battery tray. It's an 800 amp (640CCA) battery compared to the stock Porsche's 380. The engine turns over much faster then before.

It also comes with an 85 month no-questions asked warranty. The Porsche one does not.

Last edited by aviatorX; 10-19-2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-19-2008, 12:03 PM
techchallenged
Track Day

It looks like I need a battery. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Michael T
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 on the Interstate battery. That was my my dealership's choice which was fine with me.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:04 PM
rleeq
Racer

My car had the same symptom and it turned out the starter was bad. When the starter got hot it was slow to crank.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:33 PM
techchallenged
Track Day

This is what my mechanic just suggested. He stated that the battery wouldn't recharge after sitting. I'll post the fix once I get it back. Thanks!

Trending Topics

Old 10-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Michael T
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

My dealer used the Interstate solution about $220 with install. A friend of mie paid in the three hundreds for the Porsche install solution at his dealer.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:19 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by techchallenged
This is what my mechanic just suggested. He stated that the battery wouldn't recharge after sitting. I'll post the fix once I get it back. Thanks!
Are you/he suggesting that the battery with no charge will regain it's charge after sitting???
Old 10-23-2008, 10:38 PM
techchallenged
Track Day

No, the car would turnover slowly after long drives but turnover normally after it cools off. The mechanic said that the battery would not recharge after sitting. So it could not be the battery. He replaced the starter this morning. Seems to be working fine.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:12 PM
aviatorX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Michael T
My dealer used the Interstate solution about $220 with install. A friend of mie paid in the three hundreds for the Porsche install solution at his dealer.

$220??!!

No wonder they are often called a "stealer". The Interstate battery #MTP-H7 is around $160 at an Interstate Battery center. You can install it yourself in about 2 minutes or they will install it for $10.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:45 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael T
Originally Posted by aviatorX
$220??!!

No wonder they are often called a "stealer". The Interstate battery #MTP-H7 is around $160 at an Interstate Battery center. You can install it yourself in about 2 minutes or they will install it for $10.
Autozone for a Duralast battery.... $85 and they install it for FREE! See link below.:

Duralast 48-DL Battery
Old 10-24-2008, 02:59 PM
aviatorX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gota911
Autozone for a Duralast battery.... $85 and they install it for FREE! See link below.:

Duralast 48-DL Battery
There is absolutely no argument there are many inexpensive batteries out there that will do the job. If you really want to go cheap I think there is a Costco model for around $50.

However, the reason the Interstate MTP-H7 is so often recommended is that it is the IDENTICAL battery to the factory Moll.....with the exception of the short lifespan and lack of warranty!

Some care and some don't but it's the same case, same flip up handles, same vent location, color, etc. Once installed in the battery box with the label out of sight you would be hard pressed to know it wasn't factory.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:28 PM
puako
Rennlist Member

My original equipment battery started not taking a charge after 4.5 years. I just bought an Interstate MTP-H7 yesterday after reading this thread. It was about $150.00. It is exactly the same size as the original.
This battery does not look like the original however. It is all black and the cells are sealed. I"m not sure if they sell different versions of this battery(anyone know if they changed the specs?). The vent is on the right side and plugs into the vent tube perfectly. Overall I am very happy with it. It has a great warranty.

Aloha

Quick Reply: Battery low, hard restart after long drives