Sponsored by:

C2 or a C4???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:43 PM
anguilla1980
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts
Default C2 or a C4???

I've read that the C4 is only 50lbs heavier than the C2 and actually posts the exact same acceleration times.

I'm looking for a car that I will have fun with on the track that will be a daily driver until I finish the restoration on my Trans Am. The C4 seems like the best choice from the aspect of PSM AWD for better traction over a C2.

I've read however that the C4 just *feels* heavier and not as nimble as a C2. I'm even seeing TT guys getting rid of their front wheel drive they prefer it so much.

I'm not going to be buying a TT but if a C4 isn't worth the preimum over the C2, I'll just save the $$$ and get a C2!

Opinions?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

As an owner of a C4, the only reason I can think of that you'd want to pay a premium for it is if you're planning doing a lot of winter driving. For me, this is a daily driver in Boston, so I like the extra layer of protection the all wheel drive buys me.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:44 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92GTA
Opinions?
I'm no expert - but did a fair amount of research before buying my C2 recently. I'm sure that the C4 is a more capable car, by the nature of all wheel traction.

However, I opted for a C2 for a few primary reasons:
  • Slightly lighter, less moving parts, presumably a tad less in maintenance $$$.
  • 2WD has less overhead/mass in accelerating - perhaps a bit quicker.
  • I'm driving to have fun more than to "go fast" - the C4 at the limit is probably faster - but the C2 still has endless grip - and I think you need to utilize a bit more skill to keep the car balanced at the limit (purely opinion - the C2 can push pretty hard under full throttle - I'm guessing the C4 would help pull you through the turn much quicker from the apex)
  • Liked the stealthier "narrow-body" look - this is purely personal taste - they're all lovely to look at - in most all trim levels.

So, the main difference in my opinion is in poor traction conditions (C4 wins with tons of room to spare) and in driving at the limit (C4 wins probably from outright speed carried through corners).

Looking forward to others' opinions.

Last edited by eDoug; 09-09-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:07 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I bet that most here wont be able tell that they are driving a c2/c4 on dry pavement. The only way I can tell is that the c4 has a heavier steering and has a touch more feedback... thats about it... on not so ideal pavement... c4 is the way to go.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:20 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

if you do not need it for winter driving, get a C2. BTW 0-60 times are always a bit lower on C2's. GT2's are all two wheel drive..quicker on the track compared to its tt cousins.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 92GTA
I've read that the C4 is only 50lbs heavier than the C2 and actually posts the exact same acceleration times.
Here are the published weights.

Mk 1 C2 - 1,320kg/2,910lbs
Mk 1 C4 - 1,430kg/3,152lbs
Mk 2 C2 - 1,345kg/2,965lbs
Mk 2 C4S - 1,470kg/3,240lbs
Old 09-08-2008, 08:11 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a C4S because I wanted the "S" features, but if a C2S had been available in the 996, I woulda bought that in a minute.

I drive the car 2/3 street, 1/3 track-DE and love the big brakes that come with the S, but wish I didn't have the extra weight. So, like most others say, if you don't need it for winter driving, go with the C2.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

If you live in Bakersfield there is no way you need a 4. The 2WD cars are a lot of fun!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

To be honest, after I bought the C4S, I kind of lamented not getting the lighter 2wd alternative C2. The steering was certainly heavier, and the car felt a touch slower...

However, this last weekend I autocrossed the car (my previous car was RWD) - and it was FANTASTIC!! PSM off - the car was an absolute beast. The rear was totally controllable with the throttle, and the AWD came alive at crucial moments that made me look like a far better driver than I am. I was the fastest P-car on street tires - and its not because I was the more skilled driver.

Yes, the steering is a little heavier, and it requires a little bit more input that I was used to... but the feeling of drifting the car, and having it claw its way back onto the line was thrilling.

My personal opinion: if you are really planning to do some DE or auto-x driving, I think the C4 would be easier for an amateur racer to drive faster.

Last edited by Malakas; 09-09-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:32 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Originally Posted by Malakas
To be honest, after I bought the C4S, I kind of lamented not getting the lighter 2wd alternative C2. The steering was certainly heavier, and the car felt a touch slower...

However, this last weekend I autocrossed the car (my previous car was RWD) - and it was FANTASTIC!! PSM off - the car was an absolute beast. The rear was totally controllable with the throttle, and (in my opinion) the AWD came alive at crucial moments that made me look like a far better driver than I am. I was the fastest P-car on street tires - and its not because I was the better driver.

Yes, the steering is a little heavier, and it requires a little bit more input that I was used to... but the feeling of drifting the car, and having it claw its way back onto the line was thrilling.

My personal opinion: if you are really planning to do some DE or auto-x driving, I think the C4 would be easier for an amateur racer to drive faster.
+1 - that's good advice... I'm sure AWD can definitely be a bonus.

Last edited by eDoug; 09-09-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:52 AM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll add another quick perspective on the autocross front. If you want to be entertained and faster (Slightly), the C2 will ultimately be a little better as it will with tuning and/or tire pressure adjustments the car can be a lot more neutral than the AWD system. TTOS is one of the most enjoyable effects/dynamics that the 911 offers and can allow you to save an overcooked turn much easier than waiting for the front wheels to stop pushing as I have observed some C4's do. I would venture to say that with the weight advantage and dynamics advantage the C2 has on dry grippy surface that the C2 will be typically quicker. Let's not forget that 242 lbs (according to the data above) is a lot of weight to make up for especially if the power is the same (non power kit car vs non power kit). This of course changes to the C4's advantage if it's in the wet.

The rear ends on the 996's (in stock form) are far from difficult to control as the car tends to push anyway. What is nice is when the car is neutral and then you have so many options on manipulating the car with the throttle. TTOS (trailing throttle over steer) and frankly oversteer in general is much more fun and safer in my book than understeer any day of the week.

The learing curve on a 996 is not too steep. They are pretty forgiving cars compared to older 911's. The arguement that a novice will go faster with a C4 may be true but there is more to be learned and more potential with a C2.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:20 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

what he said 100% ^^^^^^
Old 09-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by LJpete
The learing curve on a 996 is not too steep. They are pretty forgiving cars compared to older 911's. The arguement that a novice will go faster with a C4 may be true but there is more to be learned and more potential with a C2.
I agree.

I think there is a lot to be learned (for the weekend racer like me) on both cars, to be truthful. For sure, in the dry, my guess is the C2 will ultimately be a touch quicker. In the C4S, I do also enjoy the benefits of running 295s on the rears plus the larger turbo's brakes - which I think help offset the weight penalty a little bit.

Clearly, Im no expert here, but it terms of neutrality - I was pretty impressed with how neutral the C4S felt when given aggressive steering inputs and appropriate TTOS techinque (got the **** around quicker with less understeer). I never really felt that rear-biased balance. Get it wrong, however, and the front did push. My hope is that with new drop links, and -1 degree of camber in the front, that the car will have sharper turn-in.

To the OP - the best way to find out what you like is to drive both cars as much as possible. I would love to DE or autocross a C4S and C2 back to back...
Old 09-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Between a C2 and C4, I'd get the C2

Between the C2 and the C4S, the "S" additions make the C4S a better buy, whether for track or street.

BUT.....

If you are simply looking for a transition car until you get your Trans Am restored, then get the cheapest one you can find. C2, C4, C4S, whatever. That way depreciation has already hit, and you won't take as big a hit on a quick re-sell.

Is the Trans Am going to be just a nice restoration show piece, or are you restoring it for track and street?

Why not just forget the Trans Am, and put all your money into a GT3?

As an interesting conversation or controversy point, I won our regional autocross season in novice class back in 2003 in the C4S, against all comers, including the C2. Much as I'd like to say it was because I was better than all the novice guys, I think the truth is that the C4S just made a so-so novice driver (me) seem so much better than the other guys. As a counter point, FTD for all classes was almost always by one great driver driving a 944 S2.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:21 PM
anguilla1980
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

It's not really a transition car, the 996 is going to be my DD until the Trans Am is restored then my Trans Am will become my DD and the Porsche will become a project.

The Trans Am is getting a resto-mod restoration, not that it's taking much, the car is VG condition as-is.

Right off the bat when I buy the 996 I'm adding the GT2 from clip, aero wing, and some side gfx and vented euro rear bumper. Then when I start driving the Trans Am, I'll start looking for a 996 TT engine or something.

Quick Reply: C2 or a C4???