Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:17 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by M Fig
The dealer says the code is:

Cam shaft adjustment ...bank 2

They suspect the camshaft actuator...anyone ever heard of this? They said they need to do further diagnosis to determine the exact issue.

At $125 per hour, I hope it doesn't take them to long to figure it out.
Cam shaft actuator, lets hope it isn't that. I am sure that is not a quick fix, like a o2 or maf sensor.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:19 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
I'll disagree with you here.

1) You can read all codes - some (generic codes) you'll get a diagnostic right on the code reader - Porsche specific codes, you look up on RennTech and get the answer that way - either way you get to know exactly what the codes mean, and you can then post here for additional forum insight.
This is not correct. There are areas of the DME that can not be accessed with a generic OBD reader

2) You can absolutely clear codes using the ODBII Readers - of course, if the problem still exists, the codes and CEL come back - but you can clear codes and hence clear those random codes that sporadically cause CEL.
Again...wrong...try the airbag light for one.

3) Having your own reader means that you don't have to drive to AutoZone every time, and you have a heads up on potential issues before you go to the dealer and get the 'widget is broken' BS. Information is power..... Durametric is nice, but cost prohibitive for many.
I agree that it is good to have your own, but there is no question as to which is the better diagnostic for Porsche. You get what you pay for.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:20 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Cam shaft actuator, lets hope it isn't that. I am sure that is not a quick fix, like a o2 or maf sensor.
That is not a code, but a description of possible reason for a code. Get the actual code and we can look at it.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:22 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
That is not a code, but a description of possible reason for a code. Get the actual code and we can look at it.
He can't he doesn't have a code reader - he was told they were a waste of time...
Old 06-18-2008, 03:28 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not correct. There are areas of the DME that can not be accessed with a generic OBD reader

Again...wrong...try the airbag light for one.

I agree that it is good to have your own, but there is no question as to which is the better diagnostic for Porsche. You get what you pay for.
So last time I checked, Airbag was not an OBDII code - and did not cause a CEL.

So if you'd like to differentiate between OBDII codes - which code readers can access, and other fault systems on the 996, then maybe we can be clear as to what we're talking about here.

As for the OP - he had a CEL, which has an associated OBDII code or codes, which can be read and then diagnosed using an OBDII code reader.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:48 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

OK, I see your point, but kind of semantics if you ask me....a code is a code...this is something reported and stored in the DME. My first post was about code readers (these are devices that connect through the OBD port). I did not differentiate between what types of codes. Again, IMHO the durametric is far superior and in the long run will cost less. It can read ALL OF THE CODES.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:36 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the OBD readers are great for peace of mind and can clear a lot of powertrain stuff, but they can't clear many deeper internal module issues in most german cars, for example Benz electronic transmission controllers, BAS, ESP, ABC (including the on in the tiptronic-S if I'm not mistaken) and many of the other items stated.

The peace of mind I refer to means not wondering so much about whether you're seeing everything on the dealer's report, and not having to wait (often up to a week) for a service appointment to determine the fault. You know what it's saying, today, and you can move on with your life.

The feature I like best in mine is that I can drive around and record the live sensor readings and adaptation values in a variety of different driving situations if there's a problem. It really helps, especially if you have a weather sensitive issue like the early stages of coil pack failure, or a CEL that may have reset itself after several drive cycles, because it also shows "pending" codes (and is the reason I quickly caught an opposite bank misfire and was able to bring it back to the dealer immediately to do the other bank).

When I have a problem which isn't covered under warranty and that I can't deal with using the universal reader I have, I will definitely purchase a durametric. In fact if durametric had a universal add-on I would have purchased durametric right off the bat, but I have multiple makes and at the time I hadn't seen a CEL on the Porsche yet. In retrospect I would have purchased a cheaper reader (~40-50 bucks) and the durametric, and that would have done the job, but I spent more than I needed to on the reader.

RE: the specific reader I bought, it is ACCTRON 9180 I believe, I spent ~150, and it can access and do a little more than a typical reader, wideband o2, state emissions check type stuff, but in retrospect I should have gone with a cheapo and a durametric (I'm the sort of guy who would love to have a PST2 but won't spend the money and will definitely buy the durametric when the time comes.)

I don't think there's any reason not to spend 50 bucks on one of the simple ones though, just for the better sleep! I personally have already saved a LOT of money because of it, particularly on the out of warranty Benz and even the Audi, because it didn't lie to me or throw up its hands and try t replace a whole transmission or exhaust when only a wiring fault or fouled o2 was to blame, or charge me 300 bucks for diagnostic on a SPS or VAG-COM.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:14 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My cheap code reader, Autozone for $39, reads all codes and clears all codes. So worth it.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:08 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
My cheap code reader, Autozone for $39, reads all codes and clears all codes. So worth it.
How do you know if your reader can't read all of the codes?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:31 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm pretty sure that if it lights the CEL, it has to be readable and resettable with a standard OBDII reader. The airbag light isn't the CEL.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:02 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick
I'm pretty sure that if it lights the CEL, it has to be readable and resettable with a standard OBDII reader. The airbag light isn't the CEL.
FYI: my Harbor Freight (Cen-Tech) reader can't/won't clear a Cat O2 sensor fault. Good thing the CEL resets after a few cycles. [it did, however, identify the fault - which saved me a trip to the shop]

-td
Old 06-20-2008, 11:49 AM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:
"Cam shaft adjustment ...bank 2"

What were the cam timing deviation numbers?
What's the mileage on the engine?
Old 06-21-2008, 04:23 PM
kunkstyle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar code description on my other car. It was only a solenoid that needed to be replaced.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:39 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe I should be more specific. My cheap code reader reads and clears nine hundred and ninety eight "P" codes (powertrain), as defined by the Society of Automotive Engineers. If your problem is not one of those 998 problems, maybe you should take it in to be checked out. My point being, to me personally, it's worth every penny of the $39 cost.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

IMHO those things are worthless...you can't read all of the codes and can't clear them all either. Just go to autozone and borrow theirs for free. If you want a Porsche diagnostic tool Durametric is the one (given you don't want to spend $$$ on a PST2 or PIWIS).
My $40(Harbor freight) code reader clears all but the airbag code and has enabled me skip a dealer visit, and more than paid for the cost of acquiring it. I carry it in my car so I can focus on driving my Porsche rather than worrying about a CEL while I'm at the wheel.

Quick Reply: check engine light