Sponsored by:

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:23 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default check engine light

My check engine light came on yesterday while normal driving (nothing spirited). It was on all day and it was on again this morning for my ride to work. At lunch, I was driving and it went off? On the ride back home it is back on again. I have an appointment at the dealer for Wednesday to get an oilchange and check the codes...ever heard of something like this? I thought that once the light came on, it stayed on until the reset order was givin...???
Old 06-16-2008, 07:27 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Yup. Mine did this for CATs. Goes off and on sporadically. Tripped codes are stored, and checkups confirm this.

-td
Old 06-16-2008, 08:04 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe most of the CELs will reset within 6 to 7 drive cycles (if the fault doesn't occur again during those cycles)
Old 06-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One easy thing to check-- make sure the gas cap is on correctly. (Actually saw this with my Audi; loose cap screws up pressure and CE light came on.)
Old 06-16-2008, 09:00 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

And buy yourself a code reader from Harbor Freight - worth $50 to do your own diagnosis
Old 06-16-2008, 09:47 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on code reader, I have an acctron unit I bought from amazon and it reads codes, clears codes, and records data while you're driving (so you can see what the sensors are seeing during a fault, adaptation values, fuel/air etc)

The advice on the gas cap is actually very good, almost all modern cars have this issue with loose gas cap tripping OBD2
Old 06-16-2008, 10:11 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to Autozone and ask to borrow their codereader for 5 minutes. It's free.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:53 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

the I replaced my bad cats the light stayed on. I disconnected the battery for about 2 minutes and it cleared.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine did that when the MAF was KO'd.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:39 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

We'll find out the verdict tomorrow morning...I'll post the results after my dealer visit.

As a side note, I just found out my aftermarket warranty expires 6/28/08 so this is really perfect timing.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:58 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
And buy yourself a code reader from Harbor Freight - worth $50 to do your own diagnosis
FWIW, Harbor Freight has their code readers on sale until July 4. The pocket version is $40, and the big one is $90.

-td
Old 06-18-2008, 02:11 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

IMHO those things are worthless...you can't read all of the codes and can't clear them all either. Just go to autozone and borrow theirs for free. If you want a Porsche diagnostic tool Durametric is the one (given you don't want to spend $$$ on a PST2 or PIWIS).
Old 06-18-2008, 02:43 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by wross996tt
IMHO those things are worthless...you can't read all of the codes and can't clear them all either. Just go to autozone and borrow theirs for free. If you want a Porsche diagnostic tool Durametric is the one (given you don't want to spend $$$ on a PST2 or PIWIS).
I'll disagree with you here.

1) You can read all codes - some (generic codes) you'll get a diagnostic right on the code reader - Porsche specific codes, you look up on RennTech and get the answer that way - either way you get to know exactly what the codes mean, and you can then post here for additional forum insight.

2) You can absolutely clear codes using the ODBII Readers - of course, if the problem still exists, the codes and CEL come back - but you can clear codes and hence clear those random codes that sporadically cause CEL.

3) Having your own reader means that you don't have to drive to AutoZone every time, and you have a heads up on potential issues before you go to the dealer and get the 'widget is broken' BS. Information is power..... Durametric is nice, but cost prohibitive for many.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:55 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

The dealer says the code is:

Cam shaft adjustment ...bank 2

They suspect the camshaft actuator...anyone ever heard of this? They said they need to do further diagnosis to determine the exact issue.

At $125 per hour, I hope it doesn't take them to long to figure it out.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Last Car
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one, have to agree on owning a 'code reader'. I have a real good OBDII reader, I got back in 2000 for one of my BMWs and it will read and clear codes as well as 'real time' reading. But it doesn't do the 'non' P code problems.
My Pcar had the Airbag light come on and my problem was...."I would have to go to a Dealer/Pcar repair shop that is about 150 miles from me to find out what caused the Airbag light to come on; drive back home, 150 miles, fix the problem; drive back up to the Dealer/Pcar repair shop, 150 miles, and have the light turned off; drive back home, another 150 miles." This would be big bucks (gas and cost at the Dealer/Pcar repair shop) plus mileage on my Pcar; so I bought the Durametric tool and it paid for itself first time I used it. Told me it was the drivers seat belt buckle...cleaned the inside of the buckle cleared the code and haven't seen the light for about a Month.
So, if you are like me, far from a Dealer/Pcar repair shop or don't like anyone touching your cars, then you just about have to have some type of code reader/clearer.
Just my two cents worth.
Good luck on your problem,
Patrick

Quick Reply: check engine light