Sponsored by:

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:47 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
My $40(Harbor freight) code reader clears all but the airbag code and has enabled me skip a dealer visit, and more than paid for the cost of acquiring it.
You seem to misinterpreting my point. I am very much in favor of having a code reader/diagnostic tool....I just think it is worthwhile to buy one that can do everything you need on a Porsche. The generic ones don't cut it (I tried). Get the Durametric and be done....it will pay for itself quickly.

BTW, if you get a CEL while driving, unless it is flashing , the car can still be driven. If it is flashing, your generic reader is worthless.

Cheers
Old 06-23-2008, 01:07 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
BTW, if you get a CEL while driving, unless it is flashing , the car can still be driven. If it is flashing, your generic reader is worthless.

Cheers
Actually the flashing just means you are in really deep trouble and you better pull over and stop immediately. But then again, it is possible to get one of those that is not so serious and it will clear it self up. That happened to me once. The car dried out and all was well again.

As for the generic readers, they do have their limitations, but most of the time, it is all you really need unless the car has some really serious problems.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:59 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can a durametric read other cars also?
Old 06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pat056
Can a durametric read other cars also?
no, which is why I didn't buy one (I actually needed it for MB, and though heck if i'm buying a reader, might as well buy the durametric)

I regret it. I should have purchased a very cheap ODB reader and a durametric, and if anything serious happened to the Audis a VAG-COM would run on the same laptop, just would need a new cable and of course the software cost.

These things pay for themselves quickly when you realize what an out of warranty diagnostic will set you back.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:38 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what was the outcome.........

Quick Reply: check engine light