996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

LA San Diego GTG @Mt, Palomar Sunday, June 22

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OK folks, Last day before the run. I would like to point out that we are leaving the Starbucks at 8am. So get there earlier to meet everyone. As for gas stations. There is a Shell just west of the 79 and 15. There is also a Mobil1 right before the Coffee shop (between the 15 and Starbucks). There is also a Valero next to the coffee shop. See map.

GPS addresses to preprogram your GPS to help along the way:

From Starbucks to:

Mothers Kitchen
33120 Canfield Rd
Palomar Mountain, CA 92060
(760) 742-4233

From Palomar sending you in the right direction. This is not a stop but just a way to get the GPS to go the right way.

Barley House
45560 State Highway 79
Aguanga, CA 92536
(951) 767-9760

Final destination.

Ponte Winery
35053 Rancho California Rd
Temecula, CA 92591
(951) 694-8855

I figure from our start point we can go straight to Palomar. Depending on the size of the group. First stop would be the Vista halfway up. Then Mothers Kitchen. A quick skip to the Observatory (They have a big parking lot for the final photo of all the cars, some will be leaving from here.) Group photo?
Afterwards a nice drive down. Ending up at Ponte for lunch. I spoke with the director at Ponte and they said that the side parking lot at that time will not be full so we can get all the cars together. (I tried to get them to rope it off) What is nice is that the parking lot is surrounded by vines. If we park all the same direction it would be a great photoshoot. Sound good?

One final word for the trip. We going for fun and enjoying the drive with a group of others. I'm not interested in reckless driving, and spending the day sitting with a row of cars lined up because the CHP pulls all us over because of one individual. No one has anything to prove here. We all know I've got the fastest car here....High speed down some straight away on 76 is only going to get you pulled over. The CHP love that road and I have yet to drive down it without passing 2-3 patrols.

As for Temecula, the patrols there are always looking for people coming from the wineries. They have road blocks on 79 and Rancho California to the 15 on a regular basis. Common sense tells you how to handle the lunch. Some folks are bringing spouses and family (me for one) so lets show some class here. I would like to make this somewhat of a regular event, as long as we are enjoying the run. If someone becomes the bad apple depending on what happens, either they are not invited back again or we just don't have another one.

Let's make if fun and memorable. Not regrettable.

I know I sound like some ol biddy but I'm just pointing a couple things out.

Right on boys and girls. Bring the cameras. Anyone able get video would be super.

Last edited by Eharrison; 06-21-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:08 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
Damn, this is shaping up to be a major event!

I have to bow out, unfortunately. It's my B-day weekend and it turns out friends and family are throwing a little bash for me that day.

Enjoy the run, be safe and take some pics to post here!
Hey Randy,
I just heard about this run, and I'm a little surprised that you didn't cross post it on the 928 board Have a happy B-Day
Old 06-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by morganabowen
Hey Randy,
I just heard about this run, and I'm a little surprised that you didn't cross post it on the 928 board Have a happy B-Day
I'll have to rebump all the threads today!
Old 06-21-2008, 04:28 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well crap... I knew it was 8 but I got there about 8:15...

Did run into a white 944 S2 in the lot up there, 10-spoke Carrea's/968 spoiler. And a white 944S coming back on 15, honked and waved but the driver was out to lunch.

So I went out and hugged some twisties along 76, 79, 371, and 74. I hate an unfamiliar area because I get into the driving and blaze through all my turns and windup somewhere off the map. Five hours and 270 bug smushing miles later, the Turbo is getting a cooldown. Zero tickets today.

I hope to catch everyone next time.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:34 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Red face

Originally Posted by ibkevin

So I went out and hugged some twisties along 76, 79, 371, and 74. I hate a unfamiliar area because I get into the driving and blaze through all my turns and windup somewhere off the map. Five hours and 270 bug smushing miles later, the Turbo is getting a cooldown. Zero tickets today.

Kevin, Kevin,Kevin; Sunday, Sunday, Sunday (-%

tino
Old 06-21-2008, 04:42 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did run into a white 944 S2 in the lot up there, 10-spoke Carrea's/968 spoiler. And a white 944S coming back on 15, honked and waved but the driver was out to lunch.

So I went out and hugged some twisties along 76, 79, 371, and 74. I hate an unfamiliar area because I get into the driving and blaze through all my turns and windup somewhere off the map. Five hours and 270 bug smushing miles later, the Turbo is getting a cooldown. Zero tickets today.

TOMORROW TOMORROW!
Old 06-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

I hope you decide to come with us tomorrow......Kevin you really need to go out again....

This reminds me of going out to a family get together with all the relatives. We bitched the whole way because it was in B.F.E. and there were so many other national parks that were closer to Tucson, Az and when we get there, no one shows. All we had was potato salad and no stores nearby. Then at the end of the day we go home and call. They changed it to the following day, and wanted to know if we were willing to go back....
Old 06-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Hey Randy,
E had posted to 928 a couple weeks ago. (thanks for the b-day happy)

Yer a day early, Forrest...

Old 06-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Eharrison

One final word for the trip. We going for fun and enjoying the drive with a group of others. I'm not interested in reckless driving, and spending the day sitting with a row of cars lined up because the CHP pulls all us over because of one individual. No one has anything to prove here. We all know I've got the fastest car here....High speed down some straight away on 76 is only going to get you pulled over. The CHP love that road and I have yet to drive down it without passing 2-3 patrols.

As for Temecula, the patrols there are always looking for people coming from the wineries. They have road blocks on 79 and Rancho California to the 15 on a regular basis. Common sense tells you how to handle the lunch. Some folks are bringing spouses and family (me for one) so lets show some class here. I would like to make this somewhat of a regular event, as long as we are enjoying the run. If someone becomes the bad apple depending on what happens, either they are not invited back again or we just don't have another one.

Let's make if fun and memorable. Not regrettable.

I know I sound like some ol biddy but I'm just pointing a couple things out.

Right on boys and girls. Bring the cameras. Anyone able get video would be super.
Ed, well put! You just set the tone for making this a classy event of fine cars and people out to enjoy the sights. I too would like to see this as a regular occurence. My wife is off having a "girls' weekend", and has called to make sure I'm going to be careful tomorrow about 3 times.

PS: I'm glad we're going a bit earlier, it is friggin' hot today! Having an absence of A/C hardware on my car would not be fun in 100+ temps.

PPS: Plus, on the subject of sanity, I was worried about how my poor ol' air-cooled girl with a motor built by me would keep up with all of Porsche's later creations.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Shoot - the infamous former Texas 928 guy Ed Hughes is gonna be there too!
Old 06-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

C'mon Randy (Happy B-day BTW-Mine was last Saturday)......I'm going to pass on lunch, you'd be home by 11 or 11:30 at the latest!
Old 06-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
PS: I'm glad we're going a bit earlier, it is friggin' hot today! Having an absence of A/C hardware on my car would not be fun in 100+ temps.
Yeah, I'm slightly glad I'm not going tomorrow. It's gonna be hot on Palomar, and it would be a little unpleasant in an old 911 without AC. I'm not at all glad to have to park it because of the broken head stud, however.

Enjoy everyone.

Brett
Old 06-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Brett San Diego
Yeah, I'm slightly glad I'm not going tomorrow. It's gonna be hot on Palomar, and it would be a little unpleasant in an old 911 without AC. I'm not at all glad to have to park it because of the broken head stud, however.

Enjoy everyone.

Brett
If this turns out to be an annual I think a run in April would be better. Working out the bugs....
Old 06-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Randy,
Larry, bring the 928's too! Would love to see (and hear) some of you guys out there.
Also, tell your gf she can bring her R8.

Just watching on Speed a Porsche 911 leading Rolex GT cars, so even more inspiration to join our Porsche parade tomorrow!

-Dave
Old 06-21-2008, 08:10 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Kevin, Kevin,Kevin; Sunday, Sunday, Sunday (-%
Well... I don't feel so bad now, some how I got this weekend and next weekend lumped into the Saturday activities thing. Maybe because both Sundays have family stuff going on.

I'll go ahead and take that rubber chicken now..

Quick Reply: LA San Diego GTG @Mt, Palomar Sunday, June 22