Sponsored by:

WTF? Ben Just got banned!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 02:26 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by NNH
Are we done insulting Ben while he can't respond?
+1 How about some tire offsets and oil weight questions?
Old 05-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I've never found Ben's attitude to be entertaining. He was not amusing, he was offensive as often as he could possibly manage. He was not helpful, he was not nice. He had few redeeming qualities in his time here on Rennlist.

Ben went onto my ignore list within a week of arriving here. I would occasionally check his posts to see if he was calming down and never surprised when I saw no change.

In recent weeks he decided he wanted to get onto a popularlity trick and tried to be nice. Anyone who has to publicly announce that they have "turned over a new leaf" is a jackass. He didn't change, he was just playing nice, as recent posts have shown. I"m glad to have him out of here so that we can clear the air and have Rennlist back to the fun place we've grown used to. I commented a few days ago how I was seeing less of the regulars - that's because we're all getting tired of him and posting less. I know my post rate has gone down a lot in the last month or so and his acidic attitude was part of it.

I hope that the newbies that have joined in the last couple of months will now see that this behavior is not acceptable. Ben was a bad example. John just set a good example by booting him out. Bravo!
Couldn't agree more. I've noticed that many of the 'regulars' have either stopped posting altogether, or have drastically cut back on their posts. Ben is as Ben does - I don't know if he's the cause, but certainly contributes. He's a bratty kid with some $$$, a chip on his shoulder, and a number of insulting posts. That's NOT what this board is about. It's a board where enthusiasts can post legitimate questions and issues about their cars - without the fear of being flamed each time they post. The humor has gone out of the board in recent months - I hope we can get it back - for me, that's the fun part about Rennlist. I think John made the right call.

John, is the ban 'permanent' or can a blacklisted member regain his/her good standing? Not that I'm planning anything, mind you.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Irksome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NNH
+1

I certainly have opinions about Ben's style of posting, but it seems like the best approach at this point is to let it go. Let's get back to talking about our cars, or take this to Off Topic...
Old 05-07-2008, 02:52 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK. For those ambulance chasers out there, it's in the "It's Official, My Engine's Blown" thread. Like I've said, Orrin's a RL friend of mine and I think he saw his thread spin out of control. If he's like me and wears his feelings on his sleeve (especially after finding out he had a motor replacement staring him in the face), he probably took offense. We've forgotten about him. Read the posts and see how you would feel if it was your motor, not Bruce or Ben's.
I just think several members had bad days and decided not to let certain comments go that they may otherwise had. One chose to quit and one got fired.
As for me? I stay away from the personal crap. All I have to do is not respond and it stops.
Luckily for me, I've been treated pretty fairly here.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:57 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Ben wanted this... he knew what he was doing and wanted to see his eulogy good and bad.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:37 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

i absolutely agree with John D. that in an open forum it ok to disagree to a post, but this is not the place to insult or personally attack an individual because of what was written. This personal attack thing occurs every once in a while on some of the other sites here and i hope that John warns these individuals as well. its not fun, but actually a turn off, when you here people calling other people names here..it takes away from the enjoyment of this site..
Old 05-07-2008, 03:53 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
...John, is the ban 'permanent' or can a blacklisted member regain his/her good standing? Not that I'm planning anything, mind you.
Sorry for the delayed reply to a good question (but, I'm trying to get Adrien back to Haiti and change all his airline reservations, as his Dad passed away unexpectedly late yesterday afternoon. BTW - if you work for American Airlines - please know your Customer Service folks are outstanding! A young gal made "emergency" changes last evening to get Adrien out to Port-au-Prince today.)...

Anyway - it really isn't my decision?? Rather - it is Ben's decision - or anyone's decision who has been "black flagged"? Typically - one of three things will happen...

1- I'll see posts on other Forums about me/Rennlist - whatever - and I'm typically the devil re-incarnated; and/or

2- I'll get a flame to my admin e-mail address, sometimes litigious, sometimes not - but it's the kind of e-mail that makes you step away from the computer ; or

3- I'll get an e-mail that opens the door to let them back on. Usually, there are a few dozen e-mails sent back and forth - but, bottom line - the folks who take that approach are treated like gentlemen and we reach a common understanding.

But, again - it's his choice - or anyones choice on which option they exercise? In any case - folks need to be made responsible for their actions, if you know what I mean?

As an aside - banning someone is my "least favorite" part of running this site - and it has been the worst part since it started in May of 1998. So, I really don't ban folks too often (except for the SPAMBOTS - those I delight in banning ). And remember - I'm just like you - just simply a Porsche enthusiast, so I treat the site, it's members/users, visitors as I'd want to be treated. And it seems to work, I guess? If it didn't - I'd be posting this, and only I'd be reading it

Anyway - great question - and again, sorry for the delayed reply..!

John
Old 05-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks John - excellent response and I think, right on mark. From #3, certainly sounds like an outed member can come to you with an explanation/apology and be considered for reinstatement, which I think is fair.

BTW, I posted at 1:28 and you answered me an hour later - hardly qualifies as a delayed reply!!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:03 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^ +1 well said. I hope to see him back at some point.

J
Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 PM
67FJ45
Pro

It was certainly like watching a train wreck in slo mo and reminds me of an episode in my younger days. I was the hotshot at work, made the bucks, had the smarts (but not the wisdom), and stomped on some very big toes because I needed to be right just one too many times. I wasn't fired, but the local veep sent me home for a week while he decided what to do with me. It was THE turning point of my life. I got help. I hope Ben does, too.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:20 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by NNH
Gosh, people are being more polite to Ben in a thread about how his poor attitude got him banned than he was in his average post.<shrug>
Old 05-07-2008, 05:28 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guards Red > all colors... 'nuff said.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tooloud10
LOL...yeah, I just shook my head when I read his last response. It was obvious that John had his finger on the "ban" button for a little while--well, obvious to everyone but Ben, I suppose. When John told him to reread the post in the morning, anyone with a high school psychology class under their belt should have been able to see that that was his polite way of saying "I'll give you one more chance before I mash this button hard."
+1

I thought the same thing when I saw his last post.

It's sad to see Bruce drop his membership and Ben banned over this.

Ben and I had more than a few battles, but I think he also occasionally made some positive contributions.

That being said I respect what John has built at Rennlist and Ben did not give him any room with this decision. (John gave him more than one opportunity to let it go gracefully).
Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we're all jumping to conclusions about why Ben acted the way he did on here, and I doubt any of us would like the analyses of strangers on our own personal lives. Even if much of what is being said resonates with us, I think we all need to take some of our own medicine and not speculate on or attack the real person behind the handle here, regardless of how we may have individually felt about his behavior. Personal should be off limits. He and I didn't agree on many things, and on some things we did, but I believe it's incumbent upon us to hold ourselves personally to the standards to which we would hold others.

Last edited by htny; 05-07-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:37 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

It's funny, a few months ago I would've been all too glad to see Ben get the ax (the post in which he called a member's wife a "transvestite" always comes to mind); but then he seemed to get better and reach out to members, with the "head shots" thread and in his improved posting demeanor.

So I guess I have mixed feelings now, though the banning was certainly justified by his most recent posts in the offending thread. He often comes off as a complete *******, but I bet there's a "good Joe" underneath there somewhere. Peace.

Quick Reply: WTF? Ben Just got banned!