Sponsored by:

WTF? Ben Just got banned!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:47 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WTF? Ben Just got banned!

Now I've had my share of banging heads with Ben - he's certainly always had an opinion! (even when he's wrong!)

It's a fact that this forum will loose some entertainment value without his alternative perspective.

Here's hoping everyone can take a deep breath, and come back to the table.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:49 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I just got caught up with all this. Ben decided to bang heads with John D. Guess who lost...
Old 05-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Too bad. I often disagree with what he posts, but he was usually entertaining. Combined with the loss of BruceP, this board has just gotten a little less interesting.

What we need now is a new thread on something like oil weight to change the subject...
Old 05-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks cdodkin for starting the thread, I didn't want people think I was a gossip

When I read the responce Ben gave to John , I knew it was over and done with. It was........sucks for everyone.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:14 AM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick E
Too bad. I often disagree with what he posts, but he was usually entertaining. Combined with the loss of BruceP, this board has just gotten a little less interesting.

What we need now is a new thread on something like oil weight to change the subject...
Something like

"My engine blew up, was it the 0W40 oil or the fact that I chose RoW M030 over PSS9?"
Old 05-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ben who?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:38 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Ben who?
Cold man, cold...
Old 05-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I am sure Ben will have a great time extolling his virtues on another forum and making people see the error of the Rennlist ways...
Old 05-07-2008, 12:02 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
...It's a fact that this forum will loose some entertainment ..
Yes, I did ban Ben (Benjamin Choi). Let me use this analogy, as I spent several days last week instructing on the track…

If I have a student - and tell them to "back it down a notch" - it could be for a number of factors: Slow down to regain control; think about what they are doing; or - whatever. Usually, students respond immediately to what might be considered a "warning - for your safety, or others on the track - get off the "go" pedal a bit.."

If, during the same session - the first warning goes unheeded, and rather - the student presses the "go" pedal even harder - well - then I start feeling "unsafe". It's never a "good thing" to make any instructor feel unsafe and unheard. The student is usually met with yet another verbal warning - sterner, less tolerant and sends the message "back it down a notch - NOW".

When that goes unheeded - it's a totally "unsafe" condition.

Ben was given three warnings - and continued to press his feet harder against the "go pedal" (I believe he told me I'd "kiss" those same feet?) as he zoomed on.

So, simply - he got black-flagged.

This is not "hard stuff "to understand, folks. If a driver is "out of control on the track" - they may be "entertaining" to watch. But, if you are in their path - or they run you off the track and you decide leave the track because of their antics - well, that's not so "entertaining" for those folks.

As an aside - who should take more responsibility? The out of control student - or the instructor who wasn't listened to, thereby allowing the student to continue his antics?

After three warnings - you are pretty much headed to the "pits under a black flag". And some could argue - three warnings is two warnings too many…

John D.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by deckman
Cold man, cold...
Oh no, I'm really oblivious whats going on. So I was really wondering which Ben you guys were refering to.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No doubt lots of buttons have been pushed lately...okay 'jammed'.Can we still enjoy our Porsches and continue to share input and experiences from one another?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:14 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well the few times I came across threads with Ben I felt he was an arrogant little *****, but still appreciated his point of view anyway.

I have NO idea what he was banned for, but you all have to remember though that this IS John D.'s playground. If you can't play by his rules well you will suffer the consequences.

I for one appreciate what John has provided here for us. Do I always agree with his decisions...NOPE. But it's his baby and I support his right to do as he pleases with it.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I've never found Ben's attitude to be entertaining. He was not amusing, he was offensive as often as he could possibly manage. He was not helpful, he was not nice. He had few redeeming qualities in his time here on Rennlist.

Ben went onto my ignore list within a week of arriving here. I would occasionally check his posts to see if he was calming down and never surprised when I saw no change.

In recent weeks he decided he wanted to get onto a popularlity trick and tried to be nice. Anyone who has to publicly announce that they have "turned over a new leaf" is a jackass. He didn't change, he was just playing nice, as recent posts have shown. I"m glad to have him out of here so that we can clear the air and have Rennlist back to the fun place we've grown used to. I commented a few days ago how I was seeing less of the regulars - that's because we're all getting tired of him and posting less. I know my post rate has gone down a lot in the last month or so and his acidic attitude was part of it.

I hope that the newbies that have joined in the last couple of months will now see that this behavior is not acceptable. Ben was a bad example. John just set a good example by booting him out. Bravo!
Old 05-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh boy...I have been following the Soap Opera from the sidelines. I have to admit...this has all been quite entertaining.

C.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:23 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

I hate to see anyone get banned; however, I hope that he takes some time to think about what has happened and why it has happened.

I've been on Rennlist for several years (I joined before I bought my 993 C4S) and have seen the list go through different phases. The 996 list is going through a phase that is predictable...the cars age, the prices get more affordable, and people can afford entry to the world of Porsche who may not have been able to enter before. That is a good thing!

However, because a wider (and sometimes younger) audience gains admission, you pick up a few immature posters and few bad seeds (anyone remember Joey Carrera?). Most will adapt to the Rennlist culture and become productive members. Some just won't make it and will need to move to boards where they obssess over tires, body kits, street racing, and who "owned" whom on the forum today.

I wish Ben good luck in his endeavours and many years of happy motoring!

Quick Reply: WTF? Ben Just got banned!