Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   WTF? Ben Just got banned! (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/428824-wtf-ben-just-got-banned.html)

cdodkin 05-07-2008 10:47 AM

WTF? Ben Just got banned!

Now I've had my share of banging heads with Ben - he's certainly always had an opinion! (even when he's wrong!)

It's a fact that this forum will loose some entertainment value without his alternative perspective.

Here's hoping everyone can take a deep breath, and come back to the table.

chsu74 05-07-2008 10:49 AM

I just got caught up with all this. Ben decided to bang heads with John D. Guess who lost...

Patrick E 05-07-2008 11:02 AM

Too bad. I often disagree with what he posts, but he was usually entertaining. Combined with the loss of BruceP, this board has just gotten a little less interesting.

What we need now is a new thread on something like oil weight to change the subject...

Tippy 05-07-2008 11:10 AM

Thanks cdodkin for starting the thread, I didn't want people think I was a gossip :atwhore: :)

When I read the responce Ben gave to John , I knew it was over and done with. It was........sucks for everyone.

NNH 05-07-2008 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick E (Post 5388349)
Too bad. I often disagree with what he posts, but he was usually entertaining. Combined with the loss of BruceP, this board has just gotten a little less interesting.

What we need now is a new thread on something like oil weight to change the subject...

Something like

"My engine blew up, was it the 0W40 oil or the fact that I chose RoW M030 over PSS9?"

Carrera Mike 05-07-2008 11:21 AM

Ben who?

deckman 05-07-2008 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike (Post 5388415)
Ben who?

Cold man, cold...

Marc Gelefsky 05-07-2008 11:52 AM

I am sure Ben will have a great time extolling his virtues on another forum and making people see the error of the Rennlist ways... :)

John D. 05-07-2008 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by cdodkin (Post 5388300)
...It's a fact that this forum will loose some entertainment ..

Yes, I did ban Ben (Benjamin Choi). Let me use this analogy, as I spent several days last week instructing on the track…

If I have a student - and tell them to "back it down a notch" - it could be for a number of factors: Slow down to regain control; think about what they are doing; or - whatever. Usually, students respond immediately to what might be considered a "warning - for your safety, or others on the track - get off the "go" pedal a bit.."

If, during the same session - the first warning goes unheeded, and rather - the student presses the "go" pedal even harder - well - then I start feeling "unsafe". It's never a "good thing" to make any instructor feel unsafe and unheard. The student is usually met with yet another verbal warning - sterner, less tolerant and sends the message "back it down a notch - NOW".

When that goes unheeded - it's a totally "unsafe" condition.

Ben was given three warnings - and continued to press his feet harder against the "go pedal" (I believe he told me I'd "kiss" those same feet?) as he zoomed on.

So, simply - he got black-flagged.

This is not "hard stuff "to understand, folks. If a driver is "out of control on the track" - they may be "entertaining" to watch. But, if you are in their path - or they run you off the track and you decide leave the track because of their antics - well, that's not so "entertaining" for those folks.

As an aside - who should take more responsibility? The out of control student - or the instructor who wasn't listened to, thereby allowing the student to continue his antics?

After three warnings - you are pretty much headed to the "pits under a black flag". And some could argue - three warnings is two warnings too many…

John D.

Carrera Mike 05-07-2008 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by deckman (Post 5388480)
Cold man, cold...

Oh no, I'm really oblivious whats going on. So I was really wondering which Ben you guys were refering to.

Barn996 05-07-2008 12:14 PM

No doubt lots of buttons have been pushed lately...okay 'jammed'.Can we still enjoy our Porsches and continue to share input and experiences from one another?

slant911 05-07-2008 12:14 PM

Well the few times I came across threads with Ben I felt he was an arrogant little prick, but still appreciated his point of view anyway.

I have NO idea what he was banned for, but you all have to remember though that this IS John D.'s playground. If you can't play by his rules well you will suffer the consequences.

I for one appreciate what John has provided here for us. Do I always agree with his decisions...NOPE. But it's his baby and I support his right to do as he pleases with it.

Wellardmac 05-07-2008 12:51 PM

I've never found Ben's attitude to be entertaining. He was not amusing, he was offensive as often as he could possibly manage. He was not helpful, he was not nice. He had few redeeming qualities in his time here on Rennlist.

Ben went onto my ignore list within a week of arriving here. I would occasionally check his posts to see if he was calming down and never surprised when I saw no change.

In recent weeks he decided he wanted to get onto a popularlity trick and tried to be nice. Anyone who has to publicly announce that they have "turned over a new leaf" is a jackass. He didn't change, he was just playing nice, as recent posts have shown. I"m glad to have him out of here so that we can clear the air and have Rennlist back to the fun place we've grown used to. I commented a few days ago how I was seeing less of the regulars - that's because we're all getting tired of him and posting less. I know my post rate has gone down a lot in the last month or so and his acidic attitude was part of it.

I hope that the newbies that have joined in the last couple of months will now see that this behavior is not acceptable. Ben was a bad example. John just set a good example by booting him out. Bravo!

Chads996 05-07-2008 01:15 PM

Oh boy...I have been following the Soap Opera from the sidelines. I have to admit...this has all been quite entertaining.

:corn:

C.

billh1963 05-07-2008 01:23 PM

I hate to see anyone get banned; however, I hope that he takes some time to think about what has happened and why it has happened.

I've been on Rennlist for several years (I joined before I bought my 993 C4S) and have seen the list go through different phases. The 996 list is going through a phase that is predictable...the cars age, the prices get more affordable, and people can afford entry to the world of Porsche who may not have been able to enter before. That is a good thing!

However, because a wider (and sometimes younger) audience gains admission, you pick up a few immature posters and few bad seeds (anyone remember Joey Carrera?). Most will adapt to the Rennlist culture and become productive members. Some just won't make it and will need to move to boards where they obssess over tires, body kits, street racing, and who "owned" whom on the forum today.

I wish Ben good luck in his endeavours and many years of happy motoring!