Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi

Nice Porsche engine **** Ben!

This one yours or someone else's?
Old 05-05-2008, 04:05 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Galun
But as the old chinese saying goes, it takes two hands to clap (or something like that). Feeding the troll and arguing an irrelevant point will probably confuse the potential future buyer during their research - which I care about. Heck I had been following this thread and even I got confused about the original intent.
Point taken - I'll reserve my replies for the non-trolls
Old 05-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Nice Porsche engine **** Ben!

This one yours or someone else's?
I pulled it off of a member's reman engine install post on Loren's good site. looks good huh? spic and span and perfectly remanufactured.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:53 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
I ran that same search, but concluded that it was written 7 years ago while new M96 engines were still in production.

What I want to know is if should a motor blow up today in 2008 can one purchase a new engine from Porsche and get a production date and watch it roll off the line, or is the M96 out of series production as most of us assume, and only remans left?

- Jury, if you could prove unequivocally that people can order a brand new M96 motor today (should be easy, call your Porsche rep or dealer and get some documentation etc), then I think you've actually won your argument, and this thread will have contributed something valuable to the forum.
Here's a recent post that shows that new M96 engines are still available if they run out of inventory/cores of blown engines to remanufacture:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=428211&page=2

The quote in question: "Also, they said the last motor they replaced was BRAND new because Porsche didn't have an reman. ones in stock."

That is EXACTLY what I hypothesized Porsche would have to do. Don't need to go through the so-called "loop" to figure that one out.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:09 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

saw that thread and thought of you and the epic battle on this thread. This was the white elephant I was hunting. I was hoping someone would get inspired to call their PCNA regional rep, and it's a shame that we found this out through our Rennlist brother's current misfortune, but that's a silver lining if I ever saw one. Let's hope he gets a new one too.

Let's also hope that the recent increase in quoted replacement engine prices reflects a move to more new engines, and that the unavailability of reman inventory speaks to a quality driven decrease in the availability of late model cores! That would be great news! Ahh more conjecture.

I'm a man of my word. In my opinion, you've got the win here jury, on what I feel is the crux of your argument. If for whatever reason my motor went, I would absolutely prefer breaking in a new replacement motor. Unless they offered to transplant a warrantable M97/01S (x51)! That might take the sting out.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:45 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Pure conjecture, can't and won't be proven. I even have my doubts whether that user/owner actually got a new engine. How can you tell since a reman looks brand spanking new anyways (clean, spic and span)?
They have a different serial number. I would think a dealer would be able to identify a new from a reman engine. Denial isn't a river in Egypt. Be a man, and admit you were wrong.

Put in an order at the dealer? WHAAHAHAHAHHAHA wait months? Yea. Who? Who's done this and through what special request is this made? More bs.
Looks like I'm accurate. You lose.

And you seriously need to drop this new engine is better than reman deal. You know those nice 40th Anniversary cars I was telling you about that experienced IMS kaboom - all 3 of them that I know of? Those engines were built new/original later than my '02/'03 reman engine. Putting any sort of value to this statement I just made is as valid of an act as your updated/edited claim that new/original engines built around the same time period > reman engines built around the same time period.
Whooo wheeeeee oohhhhhhhh
That's the uneducated way to look at things. In order to dispute what I say about manufacturing variances and standardized environments, you'd have to dispute about 50 years of quality theory. Take it up with Deming and Juran.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:51 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Point taken - I'll reserve my replies for the non-trolls
I figured you'd weasel out of this rather than accept a good old fashioned defeat.

Answer the following questions:

1)Was your premise, 'all remanufactured engines are new engines that failed first pass QC' accurate/inaccurate?

2)Was your statement 'Porsche does not need to build/remanufacture any more M96 engines because they already have a warehouse full of them in Ontario, Ca' accurate/inaccurate?

Last edited by jury_ca; 05-07-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:18 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Originally Posted by Galun
Jury is not my boy What jury had started was a theoretical question that would probably never apply in real life. I think the question that he started was not necessarily a bad one to begin with, but I do not agree with his subsequent arguments. Since we have little to no information from Porsche, we have to work off assumptions - and I trust assumptiosn from people who had been through the loop or race teams who work closely with Porsche more than someone who had never been through the loop and implied that they have links to Porsche.
Oh you mean the same people I showed to be fabricating information as they went along?

At this point all the evidence is lining up on my side - availability of new engines, use of used parts on reman engines, etc.

So Ben, who's your daddy? :P

Quick Reply: Do you have a remanufactured engine?